Bikers on The Down Low.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2015, 05:38 AM
Bikers on The Down Low.
No. This isn't about closet cases. We'll do that thread another time.

This is about something else.

If you ride a motorcycle - you've seen this. If not, you may have or may not have noticed.

I started riding street motorcycles, 35 years ago. It was a different world then - and there simply wasn't the large scale acceptance - or indeed the numbers of motorcycles you see on the road now.

Back then - when you saw a motorcycle going the other way - especially if you I.D.ed it as the same as the brand you were riding - you waved. (Yes - those of us who are real gearheads can tell the make, model, and sometimes even the year of another motorcycle - even at a closure rate of 200 kph.)

You waved, like you'd wave at a friend seen at a distance.

In the last few years I've noticed a change. The wave is no longer an arm up wave. It's this lackadaisical flailing maneuver. Arm sort of limply held off at the side - totally non-committal.

I've decided it's one of two things.

1. They're exhausted from waving at all the other bikes, and it's simply the best they can manage.

2. They're "too cool for school" - and don't want to appear over-anxious to get your approving wave back.

Either way -- I say fuck 'em.

I'll wave at people I know - and pretty girls.

I'm not a "down low" kinda guy.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
25-06-2015, 05:59 AM
RE: Bikers on The Down Low.
Here in Ireland we don't wave. We give the 'bikers nod', a little nod of the head as you go past. Even though I'm only on my 'it's gets me from A to B' 125 cc, I get the nod from most bikers that pass by.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
25-06-2015, 06:09 AM
With gasoline prices over 5 euro per gallon (over $5.50) I'd consider a 125 cc bike..... But only if it was 4 stroke....

Can't stand the sound of a 2 stroke...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-06-2015, 06:27 AM
(25-06-2015 06:09 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  With gasoline prices over 5 euro per gallon (over $5.50) I'd consider a 125 cc bike..... But only if it was 4 stroke....

I fill up for about 8 euro and it lasts me a week! Price for gasoline is about EUR 1.60 per liter Smile

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
25-06-2015, 07:27 AM
(25-06-2015 06:09 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  With gasoline prices over 5 euro per gallon (over $5.50) I'd consider a 125 cc bike..... But only if it was 4 stroke....

Isn't a 2 stroke also called a scooter? Kind of hard to look badass on a scooter.

On second thought, that would be hilarious if you see a huge biker badass get off a vespa.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
25-06-2015, 08:10 AM
(25-06-2015 07:27 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

Isn't a 2 stroke also called a scooter? Kind of hard to look badass on a scooter.

On second thought, that would be hilarious if you see a huge biker badass get off a vespa.

Scooter? I think not.

[Image: te300.png]

[Image: DSC_0709.jpg]

Husqvarna TE-300

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2015, 09:02 AM
When I was riding in Australia there was never any kind of wave. The correct gesture was always a firm manly nod.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
25-06-2015, 09:04 AM
(25-06-2015 07:27 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

The size of the engine has nothing to do with 2 or 4 stroke (or 5 stroke - yes there really is such a thing.)

It has to do with the combustion cycle. In a two stroke the sequence is intake, compression (ignition) power, exhaust - in one turn of the crankshaft.

4 stroke, it's Intake, compression, (ignition) (first stroke of crank), power and exhaust (in second stroke).

It's a bit of misnaming. 2 and 4 stroke should be called 1 and 2 stroke, respectively.

And I'm betting there's few here who've ever heard of a five stroke -- which really isn't 5 strokes ..... it's a method of using water injection after the forth stroke of a 4 stroke - and recovering energy by the expansion of the water into steam.......

25-06-2015, 09:19 AM
(25-06-2015 08:10 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 07:27 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Isn't a 2 stroke also called a scooter? Kind of hard to look badass on a scooter.

Scooter? I think not.

[Image: te300.png]

[Image: DSC_0709.jpg]

Husqvarna TE-300

Good point Chas. I forgot about those.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
25-06-2015, 09:27 AM
(25-06-2015 09:04 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-06-2015 07:27 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Isn't a 2 stroke also called a scooter? Kind of hard to look badass on a scooter.

The size of the engine has nothing to do with 2 or 4 stroke (or 5 stroke - yes there really is such a thing.)

It has to do with the combustion cycle. In a two stroke the sequence is intake, compression (ignition) power, exhaust - in one turn of the crankshaft.

4 stroke, it's Intake, compression, (ignition) (first stroke of crank), power and exhaust (in second stroke).

It's a bit of misnaming. 2 and 4 stroke should be called 1 and 2 stroke, respectively.

And I'm betting there's few here who've ever heard of a five stroke -- which really isn't 5 strokes ..... it's a method of using water injection after the forth stroke of a 4 stroke - and recovering energy by the expansion of the water into steam.......

I'm aware of that. I have worked on engines as a hobby ever since I was a child and I have rebuilt many, diesel and gasoline. I have even worked on a Wankel engine before. The only vehicles I have seen with a 2 stroke are scooters or vespas although I know some old European cars used them (although I have not personally seen them). I just forgot about the bikes that Chas pointed out.

- Paul Dirac