Bikes and drugs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2017, 02:17 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2017 02:24 AM by Dworkin.)
Bikes and drugs
Hi,

Partakers of street drugs will tell us that it is an on/off thing. When you are high you can't imagine the feeling of being straight, and when your straight you can't imagine the feeling of being high. The drug changes body chemistry and when its gone, its gone.

I'm feeling the same way about the bike*. I can try to imagine being on the throttle, but its not real until I am actually in the power band. When in the power band I can't think of anything else. The 'rush' is just too powerful.

So when I have a few days or a week off the bike I just don't expect the rush of hitting the redline again. It is like coming home, and every time is like the first time. Many drug users have talked to me like this, at least in their honeymoon period.

What is your experience/feeling on this or similar?

D.

* Note – 'Bike' in this context is a fast sports motorcycle, with a top speed typically around 160mph+
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2017, 03:07 AM
RE: Bikes and drugs
(06-02-2017 02:17 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  ...
What is your experience/feeling on this or similar?

Half my life ago (or more) I discovered that the red lines were places beyond which I should not go.

But it was great fun finding that out. Blush

[Image: williamblake102831.jpg]

And discovering too that the better your controls, the faster you can go.

I've spent the last decade (or more) earning a living from that wisdom.

Thumbsup

But it's the loss of control (and the subsequent Near Death Experience) which is the greatest rush... those moments when sitting at the side of the road (or bed), heart pounding, thinking, "how the fuck am I still here?"

Shocking

[Image: 1681121663-34_William_Blake_Quote_on_wisdom.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-02-2017, 04:04 AM
(06-02-2017 03:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  But it's the loss of control (and the subsequent Near Death Experience) which is the greatest rush... those moments when sitting at the side of the road (or bed), heart pounding, thinking, "how the fuck am I still here?"

Shocking

DLJ,

Good post. The words above particularly connect.

I knew a guy who would have a 'crossover'. Others would inject heroin into one arm and cocaine into the other arm at the same time. He spent his entire life trying to get back to that place, with subsequent organ damage.

On the bike, it is the momentary loss of traction, or lifting the front wheel on a crest that hits me hardest. The realisation that there is just one wheel or a 1" contact patch between me and the gravel, and its sliding. Gasp

Do the same on a computer video game and there is nothing.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
06-02-2017, 05:43 AM
There's two types of bikers.

Old bikers and bold bikers.

There's no old, bold bikers.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
06-02-2017, 06:22 AM
Zero experience with drugs (aside from a skunky-smelling spliff back in high school; to this day, the smell of weed turns my stomach) but plenty of experience with motorcycles. There is that peculiar rush when you are sitting on the side of the road, repeating, "I almost died I almost died I almost died..." to yourself.

I've also had similar sensations thrashing away behind a drum kit, when things are just a-cookin', the bass player & I are in complete synch without even thinking about it and all's right with the world. (Caveat: I haven't played professionally in years so I'm going from memory here, and perhaps my memory burnishes the experience to a higher sheen than it actually originally was. Hard to know.)

Of course, one is unlikely to die onstage so the threat is different from being on a motorcycle. But the sensation is similar.

Some have called it "the zone." A pro hockey player friend of mine (goalie) says when he's in the zone it's like everything is in slow motion, he can see the puck from a mile away and can foretell what play is happening in front of him before it actually takes place.

I still get in the zone very occasionally when I'm writing, on my bike or having sex. Time just slips away...
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
06-02-2017, 06:34 AM
I once rode a pushbike while drunk.

It did not end well. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
06-02-2017, 06:54 AM
Adrenaline. Can't live with it. Don't want to live without it.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
06-02-2017, 07:03 AM
(06-02-2017 06:22 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Zero experience with drugs (aside from a skunky-smelling spliff back in high school; to this day, the smell of weed turns my stomach) but plenty of experience with motorcycles. There is that peculiar rush when you are sitting on the side of the road, repeating, "I almost died I almost died I almost died..." to yourself.

I've also had similar sensations thrashing away behind a drum kit, when things are just a-cookin', the bass player & I are in complete synch without even thinking about it and all's right with the world. (Caveat: I haven't played professionally in years so I'm going from memory here, and perhaps my memory burnishes the experience to a higher sheen than it actually originally was. Hard to know.)

Of course, one is unlikely to die onstage so the threat is different from being on a motorcycle. But the sensation is similar.

Some have called it "the zone." A pro hockey player friend of mine (goalie) says when he's in the zone it's like everything is in slow motion, he can see the puck from a mile away and can foretell what play is happening in front of him before it actually takes place.

I still get in the zone very occasionally when I'm writing, on my bike or having sex. Time just slips away...

Sex, reading and solving some math or physics problems can make the time go pretty fast. The time goes fastest during sex. Tongue

As far as drugs, I'll stay away from anything that gives me a rush like sliding off the road, down an embankment because of sand. Or, like the time I was racing my neighbor down this canyon road (about a mile past where I had slid off- as above- but a different time) and reached a spot where the road drops 11 feet in about 30 feet and turns right. I got air, and came down on the wrong side of the road, with a barbed wire fence on my left (this is in the US). Blink I actually got into the gravel and dirt, off the road but managed to avoid the wire. I got behind him after that and let him set the pace. It happened so fast I didn't even have time to lay it down, which might have been worse, in retrospect, because if it had dug in, I'd have probably been strained through said fence. It was a Harley, and weighed more than twice what I weighed. That's a rush I never want to repeat.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
06-02-2017, 07:16 AM
(06-02-2017 05:43 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's two types of bikers.

Old bikers and bold bikers.

There's no old, bold bikers.

ob,

This has to be the easiest post rebuttal I've ever posted.

I'm 68! Evil_monster

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
06-02-2017, 07:25 AM
(06-02-2017 06:22 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Zero experience with drugs (aside from a skunky-smelling spliff back in high school; to this day, the smell of weed turns my stomach) but plenty of experience with motorcycles. There is that peculiar rush when you are sitting on the side of the road, repeating, "I almost died I almost died I almost died..." to yourself.

Heath,

I think you are exactly right about this, and I had forgotten the term 'zone'.

Sadly, I never had it as a guitarist, even while playing in a locally respected band. Always a lurking worry about messing up. Fortunately, a bike accident 2 yrs back fractured my left hand, now healed. But, I can't form the chords any more, so have been released from that anguish.

I kid you not; I've been freed!

D.