Bill Cosby

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Cosby Jury Deadlocked
Jurors in Bill Cosby's trial say they are deadlocked

Thirty-one hours of deliberation has yet to result in a verdict.

The judge has ordered the jury to keep trying.

I have really mixed feelings about this.

If I were wrongfully accused and the chief witness against me made conflicting statements and were caught in a series of half-truths and outright lies, and the jury couldn't see that, I'd be extremely concerned.

But if it was my niece or SO (I don't have a daughter) that was the alleged victim, I might feel differently.

No idea how much longer deliberations might take, but if the jury remains deadlocked, a mistrial will probably be declared. If that happens, there's no indication whether or not the DA will file charges again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
15-06-2017, 10:55 AM
RE: Cosby Jury Deadlocked
If the glove don't fit, you must acquit.

Oops. Wrong trial.

I think he's guilty due to all of the surrounding evidence. But the jury isn't allowed to consider all of the other stuff so he'll probably end up not guilty or a hung jury.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
15-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Well, that's what civil litigation is for I guess.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
15-06-2017, 11:56 PM
I'm completely mixed on this.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-06-2017, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2017 07:42 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
I have zero doubt in my mind that Cosby is the worst kind of scumbag and deserves to rot in prison for the rest of his uncomfortable, miserable life.

That said, there is only one question to ask, here: "Did the prosecution put on a sufficient case to demonstrate Cosby's guilt to the jury beyond a reasonable doubt?"

That's it. If they failed to do so, for any number of reasons, then I have no problem with his acquittal. One of the major problems with the prosecution's case has already been enumerated in this thread.

If the evidence cannot overcome the presumption of innocence, the person must go free. I feel the same way about OJ Simpson. That prosecution team failed to overcome the doubts raised by the defense team, and he was thus rightfully acquitted.

I strongly disagree with civil litigation (which uses a lower standard of proof) to re-charge someone with a crime of which they were already acquitted under the proper standard. Yes, it means the guilty-as-hell will often go free... but you had best believe that when you are accused of something you didn't do, you'll hope the system sticks to the highest standard. Otherwise we are all in danger of something far more heinous and pernicious than crime.

It is not the acquittal of the guilty which we should bemoan, but the potential to convict the innocent, if we let the standards slip because we want to "get" people.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 12 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-06-2017, 07:36 AM
I dunno.

I wasn't there when it allegedly happened.

Shit, I wasn't even there to hear the evidence the jury got.

Any opinion you may have just shows your biases.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-06-2017, 06:18 AM
Still deadlocked after 52 hours of deliberation.

This is somewhat reminiscent of the Jian Ghomeshi trial that took place in Toronto in March of 2016, though it was a judge-only trial, no jury to deadlock.

Ghomeshi, one-time media darling and icon on CBC Radio 1, was acquitted. The reason? Prosecution witnesses, including the complainant, were found to have lied under oath.

Constand, for whatever reason, has been, shall we say, less than credible.

I have no doubt that Cosby's a creep, but the rules say that he cannot be convicted of a crime if there's reasonable doubt.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
17-06-2017, 07:27 AM
Whatever the jury decides (or doesn't decide), I have to say that I am reminded that celebrities are flawed people who sometimes do bad things or put themselves in less than optimal situations.

These charges don't diminish Cosby's talent but it makes it hard to remain a fan of his work. This is a dark cloud that will always hang over the good things he has done. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
17-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Looks like there will be a second trial. The first one ended in a deadlocked.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
17-06-2017, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2017 10:25 AM by TheBear.)
Here we go. All over again ... from the beginning. Not as riveting as the OJ or Casey Anthony case. Losing the little interest I had. Now, just want it to be done with already, one way or the other.