Bill Gates - Catholic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Bill Gates - Catholic?
In several interviews in the mid 90s, Bill Gates made it pretty clear he didn't believe in God.

Here's a summary of quotes from those interviews, which can be found easily on Youtube, from celebatheists.com, which labels Bill Gates as agnostic.

Quote:Frost: Do you believe in the Sermon on the Mount?

Gates: I don't. I'm not somebody who goes to church on a regular basis. The specific elements of Christianity are not something I'm a huge believer in. There's a lot of merit in the moral aspects of religion. I think it can have a very very positive impact.

Frost: I sometimes say to people, do you believe there is a god, or do you know there is a god? And, you'd say you don't know?

Gates: In terms of doing things I take a fairly scientific approach to why things happen and how they happen. I don't know if there's a god or not, but I think religious principles are quite valid.

Gates was profiled in a January 13, 1996 TIME magazine cover story. Here are some excerpts compiled by the Drudge Report:

"Isn't there something special, perhaps even divine, about the human soul?" interviewer Walter Isaacson asks Gates "His face suddenly becomes expressionless," writes Isaacson, "his squeaky voice turns toneless, and he folds his arms across his belly and vigorously rocks back and forth in a mannerism that has become so mimicked at MICROSOFT that a meeting there can resemble a round table of ecstatic rabbis."

"I don't have any evidence on that," answers Gates. "I don't have any evidence of that."

He later states, "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."

In March 2014 Bill Gates had an interview with Rolling Stone, and seems to have changed his tone a bit.

Quote:Q: You're a technologist, but a lot of your work now with the foundation has a moral dimension. Has your thinking about the value of religion changed over the years?
A: The moral systems of religion, I think, are superimportant. We've raised our kids in a religious way; they've gone to the Catholic church that Melinda goes to and I participate in. I've been very lucky, and therefore I owe it to try and reduce the inequity in the world. And that's kind of a religious belief. I mean, it's at least a moral belief.

Q: Do you believe in God?
A: I agree with people like Richard Dawkins that mankind felt the need for creation myths. Before we really began to understand disease and the weather and things like that, we sought false explanations for them. Now science has filled in some of the realm – not all – that religion used to fill. But the mystery and the beauty of the world is overwhelmingly amazing, and there's no scientific explanation of how it came about. To say that it was generated by random numbers, that does seem, you know, sort of an uncharitable view [laughs]. I think it makes sense to believe in God, but exactly what decision in your life you make differently because of it, I don't know.

Naturally, every Catholic website is claiming victory in the fact that Bill Gates, an extremely rich and rational guy, has turned away from Atheism and back towards God.

The impression I get is as follows:
1. His wife is catholic and wanted to raise the kids Catholic, and Bill Gates went along with it.
2. At no time does he say he believes in God in this interview. He merely mentions that belief in god, in general, makes sense. To me, he completely avoided the question of whether or not he believes in God.
3. Melinda Gates, who went to Catholic school, is a staunch supporter of contraception, something that is a touchy issue within the Catholic church. Bill Gates is supporting the development of contraceptive technology, such as nanotech condoms. I find myself wondering if he has chosen to become involved in the Catholic church not only in support of his wife, but because he believes that putting himself in a position to influence modern Catholicism is the most rational way to oversee the acceptance of contraception throughout the world. Here is an interesting Ted Talk given by Melinda Gates.

In any case, I don't believe for a second that Bill Gates has suddenly started believing in God. I believe there is a rational reason for his actions and apparent change in his stance on church. Any thoughts?

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 12:49 PM
RE: Bill Gates - Catholic?
(19-01-2015 12:42 PM)yakherder Wrote:  In any case, I don't believe for a second that Bill Gates has suddenly started believing in God. I believe there is a rational reason for his actions and apparent change in his stance on church. Any thoughts?

Like any rational husband, he does what is needed to continue to sleep in the big bed. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post
19-01-2015, 12:50 PM
(19-01-2015 12:42 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I think it makes sense to believe in God
It sounds to me that Gates believes in a god.
19-01-2015, 12:52 PM
(19-01-2015 12:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

How so? He clearly side steps saying so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2015, 12:53 PM
I have it on authority and by revelation that god believes in Bill Gates.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-01-2015, 12:57 PM
(19-01-2015 12:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2015 12:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  It sounds to me that Gates believes in a god.

How so? He clearly side steps saying so.
"But the mystery and the beauty of the world is overwhelmingly amazing, and there's no scientific explanation of how it came about. To say that it was generated by random numbers, that does seem, you know, sort of an uncharitable view [laughs]. I think it makes sense to believe in God, but exactly what decision in your life you make differently because of it, I don't know."

Seems quite clear to me that he believes in a god. Possibly he is a Deist.

I don't know of any atheists that would suggest the world came about by random numbers.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
19-01-2015, 01:01 PM
(19-01-2015 12:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

I can rationalize why religion as an aspect of cultural evolution played an important part in the survival of civilization, and thus deduce that it makes sense to be religious. That doesn't mean I think there is any truth to the beliefs behind it, however. I think what he is saying is along the same lines.

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Why do people care whether Bill believes in gods or not?
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
19-01-2015, 01:09 PM
(19-01-2015 01:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Why do people care whether Bill believes in gods or not?

Depends on how you define "care". Tongue

No, it's not a huge deal. I'm not gonna get depressed and go drink myself unconscious because my feelings are hurt or start boycotting Microsoft because I think Bill Gates is a hypocrite. It's merely an interesting topic for conversation.

Either way, I respect Bill Gates for everything he's done and continues to do.

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Bill Gates has contributed more to the world than any god; and in multiple ways. It's no surprise that he would believe in himself. Tongue

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post