Bill Gates - Catholic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2015, 01:17 PM
RE: Bill Gates - Catholic?
(19-01-2015 01:09 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(19-01-2015 01:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Why do people care whether Bill believes in gods or not?

Depends on how you define "care". Tongue

No, it's not a huge deal.
There are some people that use Bill as a pinup for atheist charity, altruism yadda yadda.
Due to this interview there is so much doubt now, that he can no longer be the atheist pinup.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
19-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Looks to me like he is just avoiding the issue. I don't think he believes, I think he is agnostic.

Just saying it makes sense to believe in god doesn't mean he does. It does mean that he doesn't think people who believe in god are stupid.

And what Chas said.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
19-01-2015, 01:25 PM
(19-01-2015 01:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(19-01-2015 01:09 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Depends on how you define "care". Tongue

No, it's not a huge deal.
There are some people that use Bill as a pinup for atheist charity, altruism yadda yadda.
Due to this interview there is so much doubt now, that he can no longer be the atheist pinup.

I suppose that's part of why I think it's interesting, because now the flip side is true. Based off these two short interview responses, his Catholic fans seem to be losing their minds.

'Murican Canadian
19-01-2015, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2015 03:11 PM by Shadow Fox.)
(19-01-2015 12:57 PM)Stevil Wrote:  [quote='Chas' pid='723259' dateline='1421693559']
there's no scientific explanation of how it came about.

Yes there is. Just because we do not have all the pieces to the puzzle does not mean we do not know what the picture is.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
19-01-2015, 03:10 PM
(19-01-2015 01:25 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I suppose that's part of why I think it's interesting, because now the flip side is true. Based off these two short interview responses, his Catholic fans seem to be losing their minds.
He didn't claim to be Catholic, he didn't even claim to be Christian. He said that the world didn't arise out of random numbers and that it makes sense to believe in god, so noone can use him as their pinup.

His reference to Catholocism was
"The moral systems of religion, I think, are superimportant. We've raised our kids in a religious way; they've gone to the Catholic church that Melinda goes to and I participate in. I've been very lucky, and therefore I owe it to try and reduce the inequity in the world. And that's kind of a religious belief. I mean, it's at least a moral belief."

It seems strange to me to associate the Catholic church with "reduce the inequity in the world" given the church's stance on women and gays and non Catholics and non Christians and non religious and unbelievers, their stance on unmarried couples, their hardline on trying to push their beliefs into law wanting to force non Catholics to comply to Catholic beliefs.
But yeah, Men will go to great lengths to keep the Mrs happy.
19-01-2015, 03:18 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2015 03:26 PM by Free.)
He's obviously a closet atheist.

I just sent him an email. I will see if he replies. He might, because Hawking replied to me once about 8 years ago.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
19-01-2015, 03:51 PM
It makes me sick when either side tries to "claim" anyone of perceived importance as if that will prove they are on the correct side. Who the fuck cares?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2015, 05:15 PM
If momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-01-2015, 04:58 AM
Quote:Bill Gates is supporting the development of contraceptive technology, such as nanotech condoms.

Has literally 10's of billions of dollars and what does he do?
Invests in ultra-ultra thin condoms... wtf...

[Image: oscar.png]
20-01-2015, 05:55 AM
Oddly if he does support the Catholic Church over the last couple years I've seen many videos and stuff he has done about his traveling to areas in eastern Africa to deal with water and disease issues. At least he does work that doesn't involve telling people to pray and not use condoms to fix issues

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson