Bill Maher contributes to Obama publicity campaign

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2012 01:54 PM by TrainWreck.)
Bill Maher contributes to Obama publicity campaign
Is Bill Maher an atheist - I am sure it has been reported and disavowed several times already.

A million dollars is that a lot for a millionaire like him?
What's his tax rate - all that shit - I want to know?
Why does he like Obama?
Quote:Bill Maher donates $1 MIL to pro-Obama super PAC, Priorities USA Actions
HBO host and comedian announces gift during 'CrazyStupidPolitics' performance
By Aliyah Shahid / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Friday, February 24, 2012, 12:24 PM

BURBANK, CA - SEPTEMBER 09: Comedian Bill Maher appears on the Tonight Show With Jay Leno at NBC Studios on September 9, 2011 in Burbank, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Tonight Show/Getty Images for The Tonight Show)
Kevin Winter/Getty/'Tonight Show'

Comedian Bill Maher has donated $1 million to Priorities USA Actions, a pro-Obama super PAC.

HBO comedian Bill Maher announced Thursday that he would cut a $1 million check for a pro-President Obama super PAC.

The donation makes Maher one of the biggest supporters of Priorities USA Actions, which according to recent filings, only raised $59,000 since the beginning of the year.

Maher announced the major gift during his comedy performance "CrazyStupidPolitics" in San Jose.

While the "Real Time" host previously expressed concerns about Obama's reelection, he has scaled back the criticism. He argued during the show that having a country governed by Obama rather than any of the GOP candidates was "worth a million dollars."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics...z1nKYeS4tU

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2012, 02:09 PM
RE: Bill Maher contributes to Obama publicity campaign
Bill Maher is a liberal. Obama is really the only candidate for him. How is this a surprise?
24-02-2012, 02:21 PM
(24-02-2012 02:09 PM)kineo Wrote:  Bill Maher is a liberal. Obama is really the only candidate for him. How is this a surprise?

He's also a Ron Paul fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aEWjLfJjqU

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
24-02-2012, 02:27 PM
(24-02-2012 02:21 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 02:09 PM)kineo Wrote:  Bill Maher is a liberal. Obama is really the only candidate for him. How is this a surprise?

He's also a Ron Paul fan

Sure, a person can support a candidate for specific issues- but that doesn't mean that candidate is the right candidate to vote for. Ron Paul supports policies that I oppose strongly; but he's also got some ideas that I can get behind. It's just not enough to outweigh those that I oppose.

For me it's the same with Obama, but I oppose him less than Paul.
24-02-2012, 02:51 PM
(24-02-2012 02:27 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 02:21 PM)germanyt Wrote:  

He's also a Ron Paul fan

Sure, a person can support a candidate for specific issues- but that doesn't mean that candidate is the right candidate to vote for. Ron Paul supports policies that I oppose strongly; but he's also got some ideas that I can get behind. It's just not enough to outweigh those that I oppose.

For me it's the same with Obama, but I oppose him less than Paul.

I can't understand what you could like more about Obama. He's done a few things I like too. But only a few. He's extended the Patriot Act, signed NDAA, kept Gitmo open, run insane budget deficits, etc. On top of that he can't seem to get anything through Congress.

He's better than Bush but no Bill Clinton.

Ron Paul only wants the federal government to follow the Constitution. We know that he is a Christian and those values affect his ideology. But in no way does he want to pass any kind of laws that reflect those things. Especially not from a federal level. He wants to maximize freedoms while greatly scaling back the size of government. Everything else falls to the 10th amendment which gives the states the right to pass laws not covered by the Constitution as long as they are not in violation of it.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
24-02-2012, 02:56 PM
A lot of the not doing enough is not about the president but the whole system. Ron Paul isn't exactly going to make unilateral decisions he'll have friction with his suggestions just like Obama does. You tell me how many presidents have done a lot while they were heavily opposd by the other parts of government.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
24-02-2012, 02:57 PM
(24-02-2012 02:56 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  A lot of the not doing enough is not about the president but the whole system. Ron Paul isn't exactly going to make unilateral decisions he'll have friction with his suggestions just like Obama does. You tell me how many presidents have done a lot while they were heavily opposd by the other parts of government.

All the more reason to not have another 4 years of Obama.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-02-2012, 02:59 PM
We probably have a very different view of what role the government should play in peoples' lives. None of us are really happy with the role it's playing now, but Ron Paul would take a path in a direction that I think is very flawed. I'm not for a general "less government". I don't think that's the path to protecting our peoples' interests. I believe that will give even more power to the corporations that even now have so much say in how our government operates.

That's just one aspect of why I prefer Obama. Not that I have great hopes that he'll make it better- more that I think he's least likely to make it worse out of all of the candidates.
24-02-2012, 03:00 PM
(24-02-2012 02:51 PM)germanyt Wrote:  He wants to maximize freedoms while greatly scaling back the size of government. Everything else falls to the 10th amendment which gives the states the right to pass laws not covered by the Constitution as long as they are not in violation of it.

States' rights - right?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
24-02-2012, 03:02 PM
(24-02-2012 02:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 02:56 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  A lot of the not doing enough is not about the president but the whole system. Ron Paul isn't exactly going to make unilateral decisions he'll have friction with his suggestions just like Obama does. You tell me how many presidents have done a lot while they were heavily opposd by the other parts of government.

All the more reason to not have another 4 years of Obama.

A republican president isn't going to be any better, except that as long as they walk the party line they won't encounter as much friction. We won't have to worry about congress holding our country over a barrel to get their way because they're just going to get their way anyway.