Bill Maher on taxing churches

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-04-2016, 06:31 AM
Bill Maher on taxing churches
Nobody does dripping condecension like Bill. The loophole that churches have in the US where they don’t have to pay taxes is one of my biggest peeves. They are corporations who sell an invisible product, but the money they collect is very real.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Full Circle's post
16-04-2016, 06:59 AM
RE: Bill Maher on taxing churches
Beautiful!

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
16-04-2016, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2016 07:18 AM by DLJ.)
"No taxation without representation"

Be careful what you wish for.

Corporations pay tax and therefore have the ability to buy elections *cough* Hilary *cough*. Don't corporations have 'citizen' status now? Wink

Trade Unions too can contribute to super PACs. Seems reasonable, then, that any (non-state) societal grouping has the same status.

I think there needs to be a major rethink over individual rights and organisational (collective) rights. Should a 'culture' or a 'tradition' have rights? What about ethics... should an 'ism' have rights?

It's a deep question that touches on a key principle ... public vs private.

It's a conversation worth having.

Yes

EDIT: Now I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have made the 'non-state' qualification as a state pays to be represented as part of the super-state. Consider

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
16-04-2016, 07:24 AM
I'm going to have to disagree Maher. Too many churches already are trying to hook their talons into the backs of government. Don't give them a good excuse to sink the beak in as well.

However, I am in favor of classifying churches as pyramid schemes, and treating them accordingly.

Quote:A pyramid scheme is a business model that
recruits members via a promise of payments or
services for enrolling others into the scheme,
rather than supplying investments or sale of
products or services.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 6 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
16-04-2016, 07:34 AM
(16-04-2016 07:24 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I'm going to have to disagree Maher. Too many churches already are trying to hook their talons into the backs of government. Don't give them a good excuse to sink the beak in as well.

However, I am in favor of classifying churches as pyramid schemes, and treating them accordingly.

Quote:A pyramid scheme is a business model that
recruits members via a promise of payments or
services for enrolling others into the scheme,
rather than supplying investments or sale of
products or services.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme

^^^ What he said.

That should do away the proselytising, the Sunday morning door-knocking AND the indoctrination of children.

Bravo, sir!

Yes

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-04-2016, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2016 09:46 AM by Full Circle.)
(16-04-2016 07:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  "No taxation without representation"

Be careful what you wish for.

Corporations pay tax and therefore have the ability to buy elections *cough* Hilary *cough*. Don't corporations have 'citizen' status now? Wink

While it is true that a church could lose its tax exemption if they preach politics from the pulpit it would be ridiculous to suggest that their members don’t already do that with the chruch’s blessings. Politicians curry their favor because they know that they do wield political power, and because they do I believe they pierce the veil of influencing political legislation and intervene in political campaigns.

(16-04-2016 07:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Trade Unions too can contribute to super PACs. Seems reasonable, then, that any (non-state) societal grouping has the same status.

I think there needs to be a major rethink over individual rights and organisational (collective) rights. Should a 'culture' or a 'tradition' have rights? What about ethics... should an 'ism' have rights?

It's a deep question that touches on a key principle ... public vs private.

It's a conversation worth having.

Yes

EDIT: Now I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have made the 'non-state' qualification as a state pays to be represented as part of the super-state. Consider

The IRS and what qualifies as a 501©(3)
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf
"Congress has enacted special tax laws that apply to churches, religious organizations and ministers in recognition of their unique status in American society and of their rights guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States. Churches and religious organizations are generally exempt from income tax and receive other favorable treatment under the tax law;...”

The qualifications they must meet:

Tax-Exempt Status
Churches and religious organizations, like many other charitable organizations, qualify for exemption from federal income tax under IRC Section 501©(3) and are generally eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions. To qualify for tax-exempt status, the organization must meet the following requirements (covered in greater detail throughout this publication):

the organization must be organized and operated exclusively for religious, educational, scientific or other charitable purposes;
net earnings may not inure to the benefit of any private individual or shareholder;
no substantial part of its activity may be attempting to influence legislation;
the organization may not intervene in political campaigns; and
the organization’s purposes and activities may not be illegal or violate fundamental public policy.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
16-04-2016, 07:44 AM
I never thought of that, but it sounds like a good idea. Is there really a difference between buying the services of a programmer (software) and a priest (hope)? Both make the lives of the buyers easier and more fulfilling, or so they say. As an analytical lab, I sell a service and pay tax.

A better start would be scrapping income tax deductions for all charitable contributions, whether they are for the Metropolitan Opera, Harvard University or the Roman Catholic Church. Of course, the employees of these institutions pay tax.

Like my own lab, let the success or failure of these social, educational and religious organizations be determined by the market.
16-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Everyone should pay tax at some rate. It's not just our duty but our right to support our society. Corps and churches are being supported by the masses and they get around the "no politicing" rule all the fucking time. As long as a persons vote is private no one can force you to vote a certain way.

I would still like to see an adjusted flat tax based on income for individuals and on profit for corps and churches. If the church or business is small and either make little money or gives it back to the community then less tax rate. If the church or business is big then increase the tax rate to 1.5 times for one level and 2.5 times for second level and 3.5 times for mega churches and corps. The same for individual, base it on their income level.

Also, no more tax credit for donations period. It's not a donation if you force your government to subsidize your giving, it's just a deferment. If you want to support something, then fucking just support it. I have never take a donation tax credit. I have never even taken a receipt for one. No. It's a donation.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 2 users Like Heatheness's post
16-04-2016, 08:33 AM
I remember reading an article a year or two ago, about this megachurch to had been robbed. The buglers ran away with ruffly $600,000. Which was from just one night of donations. No harm to the church because they have their collection insured so they got all that money back.

Just one night!

Just one church!

Joel Osteens that's who it was the Lakewood Megachurch.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
16-04-2016, 08:48 AM
(16-04-2016 08:33 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The buglers ran away with ruffly $600,000.

those crafty horn blowers! thats just embarassing for everyone. how did they not hear them coming?
[+] 3 users Like Dark Wanderer's post