Bill Maher on taxing churches

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
16-04-2016, 09:35 AM
RE: Bill Maher on taxing churches
(16-04-2016 08:48 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 08:33 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  The buglers ran away with ruffly $600,000.

those crafty horn blowers! thats just embarassing for everyone. how did they not hear them coming?

Two words...toilet plunger Cool

[Image: wynton250x300.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2016, 06:28 AM
(16-04-2016 06:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Nobody does dripping condecension like Bill. The loophole that churches have in the US where they don’t have to pay taxes is one of my biggest peeves. They are corporations who sell an invisible product, but the money they collect is very real.

You'd have to frame what your taxing in a non-religious way. If churches are being taxed, are we taxing any sort of communal organization as well, are we suggesting that humanist gatherings also be taxed. What functions does an organization have to serve to qualify for tax-exempt status. Should boys and girl clubs, the girl scouts, book clubs, etc... be taxed.....

Do all churches get taxed, or is it only certain churches that would be taxed? Are they being taxed because they're a religious organization, if so than what would be a problem. Is the salary of pastors that are more so the issue that anything else? That non-profit organizations should have a cap on the total non-taxable income earned here.

It seems to me that the crowd that often appeals to taxing churches are more polemical than substantive. They bought the tag line, but haven't thought the question through.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
17-04-2016, 06:57 AM
(17-04-2016 06:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(16-04-2016 06:31 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Nobody does dripping condecension like Bill. The loophole that churches have in the US where they don’t have to pay taxes is one of my biggest peeves. They are corporations who sell an invisible product, but the money they collect is very real.

You'd have to frame what your taxing in a non-religious way. If churches are being taxed, are we taxing any sort of communal organization as well, are we suggesting that humanist gatherings also be taxed. What functions does an organization have to serve to qualify for tax-exempt status. Should boys and girl clubs, the girl scouts, book clubs, etc... be taxed.....

Do all churches get taxed, or is it only certain churches that would be taxed? Are they being taxed because they're a religious organization, if so than what would be a problem. Is the salary of pastors that are more so the issue that anything else? That non-profit organizations should have a cap on the total non-taxable income earned here.

It seems to me that the crowd that often appeals to taxing churches are more polemical than substantive. They bought the tag line, but haven't thought the question through.

What does the term church mean to you...?

Is the boy scouts a building? Is book clubs a physical location? Is an organization a property?

I don't really support taxing churches but whatever you think a church is, is apparently different than I. But building locations exempt from property taxes are largely what a church is on a physical scale.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
18-04-2016, 06:00 AM
(17-04-2016 06:57 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't really support taxing churches but whatever you think a church is, is apparently different than I. But building locations exempt from property taxes are largely what a church is on a physical scale.

If you don't support taxing churches, then we don't have anything to argue about.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
18-04-2016, 06:34 AM
(18-04-2016 06:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(17-04-2016 06:57 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I don't really support taxing churches but whatever you think a church is, is apparently different than I. But building locations exempt from property taxes are largely what a church is on a physical scale.

If you don't support taxing churches, then we don't have anything to argue about.
So you can't respond to someone or answer questions unless you're "arguing"

That's real informative.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
18-04-2016, 06:37 AM
(18-04-2016 06:34 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(18-04-2016 06:00 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If you don't support taxing churches, then we don't have anything to argue about.
So you can't respond to someone or answer questions unless you're "arguing"

That's real informative.

I don't have to waste my time. If you don't believe churches should be taxed, like Maher and the OP, then we have no meaningful disagreement on the topic worth discussing. I prefer to go back to watching youtube videos instead.

18-04-2016, 07:48 AM
(18-04-2016 06:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(18-04-2016 06:34 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  So you can't respond to someone or answer questions unless you're "arguing"

That's real informative.

I don't have to waste my time. If you don't believe churches should be taxed, like Maher and the OP, then we have no meaningful disagreement on the topic worth discussing. I prefer to go back to watching youtube videos instead.

"I don't have to waste my time. "

Yeah you do, that is why you're here. To waste your time and everyone else's.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-04-2016, 12:28 PM
(17-04-2016 06:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Property taxes should be paid by all organizations that own land and buildings, after all aren’t they using public infrastructure and services? If there’s a fire are they not expecting the fire department to show up? A break in, will they not call the police? How about for road repairs in front of their property, who pays for that, only their neighbors? Aren’t they taking up space that a non-exempt business would be paying taxes on?

It is conservatively estimated that religious structures in the US have a worth of $600,000,000. A millage rate of 0.018 like I pay would equate to an extra $10,778,000 in revenue to offset the services they so greatly enjoy.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
18-04-2016, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2016 12:34 PM by Tomasia.)
(18-04-2016 12:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(17-04-2016 06:28 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You'd have to frame what your taxing in a non-religious way. If churches are being taxed, are we taxing any sort of communal organization as well, are we suggesting that humanist gatherings also be taxed. What functions does an organization have to serve to qualify for tax-exempt status. Should boys and girl clubs, the girl scouts, book clubs, etc... be taxed.....

Property taxes should be paid by all organizations that own land and buildings, after all aren’t they using public infrastructure and services? If there’s a fire are they not expecting the fire department to show up? A break in, will they not call the police? How about for road repairs in front of their property, who pays for that, only their neighbors? Aren’t they taking up space that a non-exempt business would be paying taxes on?

It is conservatively estimated that religious structures in the US have a worth of $600,000,000. A millage rate of 0.018 like I pay would equate to an extra $10,778,000 in revenue so offset the services they so greatly enjoy.

So in essence you believe any non-profit organization that owns property, even when exclusively used for organization purposes should be taxed? Or is it just religious based organization you take issue with here?

A non-profit humanist organization, that owns a building they operates out of should be paying taxes on it?

Or how about an organization that feeds the homeless, should they have to pay taxes on the building they use to feed the poor?

18-04-2016, 12:49 PM
(16-04-2016 07:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Corporations pay tax and therefore have the ability to buy elections *cough* Hilary *cough*. Don't corporations have 'citizen' status now? Wink

This is a pet peeve of mine. Corporations do NOT pay their taxes.

Corporations do everything within their vast power to avoid paying taxes, including:

Locating headquarters in foreign countries
Using offshore banks to hide money
Coercing state and local governments to give them tax breaks

This last one really pisses me off. The game is that the corp comes in and makes the local/state governments an offer. "We'll build in your jurisdiction, as long as we don't have to pay local/state taxes. If you don't want that, we can take our jobs and money and go to the next state/county."

Now usually, its written up as temporary, say for 5 years. But, guess what happens when the time is up. "Give us an extension or we leave..."

IMO, there should be a constitutional amendment that all persons/entities/religions/corporations must pay the appropriate taxes. No tax waivers. Everybody pays their share.

Religions, being corporations, are not exempt.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 5 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post