Bill Maher's Tebow tweet: Did he go too far?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Bill Maher's Tebow tweet: Did he go too far?
During last Saturday's Broncos-Bills game, Bill Maher tweeted something about Tim Tebow that has outraged a lot of people.

For those who don't follow American football (I'm no expert myself), Tebow is a quarterback who makes an ostentatious show of his Christianity. He's had remarkable success this season, but Saturday's game was not a good performance.

What do you think? Did Maher overstep his bounds, or was his tweet justified?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
28-12-2011, 02:11 AM
RE: Bill Maher's Tebow tweet: Did he go too far?
Jesus and Fuck are mentioned in the same sentence... I think that's why everyone's knickers are in a knot. What a despicable person Big Grin
28-12-2011, 02:29 AM
I thought it was funny. Tebow is an annoying prick whose life purpose is apparently to score touchdowns for Jesus, then remind the world every few minutes that he believes in Jesus. (Ostentatious is a perfect description)

It's also a nice reminder that no one ever blames Jesus when they lose. "Well we would've had 'em if it weren't for Jesus. Asshat."

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 9 users Like Buddy Christ's post
28-12-2011, 07:26 AM
That's just hilarious. I'm glad he said it, now I want to get HBO Tongue

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-12-2011, 07:51 AM
His message would likely have been more effective if he has substituted the word fucked with screwed or a less obscene word. The message is completely justified, however, since Tebow and his followers really believe a higher power cares about the outcome of a silly game. If He helped them win them He helped them lose.

These people that claim devine intevention when the most mundane and insignificant thing happens does nothing but shows their religion for what it is . . . a fairy tale.
[+] 3 users Like free2011's post
28-12-2011, 08:21 AM
To be fair, Tim Tebow has stated that he does not believe that God actually influences the outcome of football games. However, his pastor has made statements of that ilk, and so have many of Tebow's fans. I don't know where you draw the line in the believer's mind - we should thank Jesus for Tebow's success, but Jesus didn't actually win the game for him, but Jesus is the reason Tebow is where he is, etc., etc.

What really drives me nuts is that I actually like Tim Tebow: The Athlete. I like his attitude on the field (in reference specifically to the game) and towards his teammates. He gives a great effort, even though he doesn't have the skill set that better Quarterbacks have. He recognizes that as a QB, it's his job to rally his team, and to lead them.

But of course, then there's all the ridiculous religious baggage that he carries, and his family carries, and his hometown pastor brings, and everyone thinks Tebow should be a beacon of Jesus and don't forget the doctors told his mother to abort him and look where he is now isn't he special? Fuck. I wish these people would go pray in their closets like Jesus told them to.

In reference to the OP, no I don't think Maher went overboard. But I agree with free2011 in that his message might have been a little more effective had he not used the f-bomb - now people can be "offended" (which they so often accuse secularists of) and just point at how "ugly" the comment was.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
[+] 1 user Likes TheSixthGlass's post
28-12-2011, 08:27 AM
(28-12-2011 08:21 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  What really drives me nuts is that I actually like Tim Tebow: The Athlete. I like his attitude on the field (in reference specifically to the game) and towards his teammates. He gives a great effort, even though he doesn't have the skill set that better Quarterbacks have. He recognizes that as a QB, it's his job to rally his team, and to lead them.

I agree. If it wasn't for him and his crew inputting religion into the picture I would really be pulling for the guy. The underdog and all that stuff.

Besides we all know that God really only cares about field goal kickers. Isn't that why they all point to the sky after they make one?
28-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I have mixed feelings about this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Tebow has ever asserted that he prays to Jesus to wins games and the reason they're winning is because of Jesus. Tebow is just outspoken in what he believes and has a national platform. How is this different than Maher? Dawkins? Or anyone else who is outspoken about their beliefs? It ultimately boils down to if you're offended by someone's actions in this free country either get thicker skin or turn off the TV.

Calling him "ostentatious" is a bit hasty. He sticks with what he believes and he prays to God. Now, granted, he could lose the whole praying after a touchdown thing, but that's his way of expressing his faith. I feel like Tebow has been innocently harmless in this whole fiasco, and Maher was just crouching; ready to pounce at any opportunity. It honestly comes across as mean spirited and hateful as Tebow has never shown any aggression towards anyone. If anything, Maher was being ostentatious because he wanted to show off his hate for Christianity.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
28-12-2011, 09:01 AM
(28-12-2011 08:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I have mixed feelings about this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Tebow has ever asserted that he prays to Jesus to wins games and the reason they're winning is because of Jesus. Tebow is just outspoken in what he believes and has a national platform. How is this different than Maher? Dawkins? Or anyone else who is outspoken about their beliefs? It ultimately boils down to if you're offended by someone's actions in this free country either get thicker skin or turn off the TV.

Calling him "ostentatious" is a bit hasty. He sticks with what he believes and he prays to God. Now, granted, he could lose the whole praying after a touchdown thing, but that's his way of expressing his faith. I feel like Tebow has been innocently harmless in this whole fiasco, and Maher was just crouching; ready to pounce at any opportunity. It honestly comes across as mean spirited and hateful as Tebow has never shown any aggression towards anyone. If anything, Maher was being ostentatious because he wanted to show off his hate for Christianity.
Again, I think Maher's comment was directed to the people who do believe that God/Jesus directly affects the games, not Tebow himself.

As for the "show" in general - whether he's demonstrating his faith or not, he's making a gesture on the field, which many, many NFL players do. Some point to the sky to thank God (which I find funny because if God does exist, he's not up there), some pump their fists, some spike the ball, some do a dance. Cam Newton mocks pulling his shirt open like Superman. It's all a show, but nobody thinks that Superman is helping Cam Newton score touchdowns, or that Superman is the reason Cam Newton is in the NFL. Lots of people believe that Tebow is on a national stage in order to bring followers to Jesus, and it appears (admittedly, from the complete outside) that those around Tebow - his mother, his family, his pastor, etc. - wish to use him in this manner, and have been doing so for years. Tebow does a great job of not getting involved directly in these things, at least on the field. But the circus that surrounds him is getting old. That's what Maher, as a political commentator/comedian/whatever, was taking a jab at. At least that's what I think.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
[+] 1 user Likes TheSixthGlass's post
28-12-2011, 11:47 AM
(28-12-2011 09:01 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  
(28-12-2011 08:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I have mixed feelings about this.

Again, I think Maher's comment was directed to the people who do believe that God/Jesus directly affects the games, not Tebow himself.

As for the "show" in general - whether he's demonstrating his faith or not, he's making a gesture on the field, which many, many NFL players do. Some point to the sky to thank God (which I find funny because if God does exist, he's not up there), some pump their fists, some spike the ball, some do a dance. Cam Newton mocks pulling his shirt open like Superman. It's all a show, but nobody thinks that Superman is helping Cam Newton score touchdowns, or that Superman is the reason Cam Newton is in the NFL. Lots of people believe that Tebow is on a national stage in order to bring followers to Jesus, and it appears (admittedly, from the complete outside) that those around Tebow - his mother, his family, his pastor, etc. - wish to use him in this manner, and have been doing so for years. Tebow does a great job of not getting involved directly in these things, at least on the field. But the circus that surrounds him is getting old. That's what Maher, as a political commentator/comedian/whatever, was taking a jab at. At least that's what I think.

Just to add, he is also a role model for our young and all he is doing is promoting religion. This may sound fine and dandy to you, but I'm sure, KC, you know where we godless stand on this issue. He doesn't have to say what he's praying about. The simple assumption by the masses has enough lasting effects. I agree that he has that right to do it and he don't need protection from ridicule. When you get on a stage you are open to criticism no matter what you do.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user