Bill Maher's Tebow tweet: Did he go too far?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2011, 04:19 PM
RE: Bill Maher's Tebow tweet: Did he go too far?
Not adding much here; I don't really watch football but from what I do know, there's not really anything wrong with what Tebow is doing (I'd obviously be happier if he wasn't praying but I can't have it all my way Wink). But the people around him are using him and his beliefs in ways I obviously do not want to see. And I agree that's what Maher was poking at.

As for Bill Maher's joke, I believe that comedians should be pushing the envelope whenever they can, this is why Bill Maher, George Carlin, and Bill Hicks are some of my favourite comedians ever. This joke was certainly not overboard, particularly when you look at who said it. The fact that he said Jesus and fuck in the same sentence; and that people get offended so easily is not really a problem or anything new.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."
- Christopher Hitchens
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kylestyle's post
28-12-2011, 04:38 PM
I think that a man has the right to state his opinion on his fucking twitter account. His opponents are entitled to their reaction. His supporters have the right to react to that reaction. Television is acting like a hooker who pretends to be a virgin so she's easily offended. SO, what else is new?

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 5 users Like Malleus's post
28-12-2011, 07:18 PM
IMO Tebow asked for it. He is overtly "look at me, I'm a Christian" so when things don't go his way, he is fair game to be mocked for it. If you claim God is helping you win, you'd best have an explanation when you lose (while playing horribly).

Better without God, and happier too.
28-12-2011, 09:11 PM
TV is like a hooker pretending to be a virgin hahahahahhahahahahahahhahaha comedy gold right there.
Ahhh good stuff.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
28-12-2011, 09:51 PM
(28-12-2011 09:01 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Cam Newton mocks pulling his shirt open like Superman. It's all a show, but nobody thinks that Superman is helping Cam Newton score touchdowns, or that Superman is the reason Cam Newton is in the NFL.

Way to spoil my fantasy of starting a Superman cult. Sad

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
29-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I love how atheletes think an almighty god would have any intervention in a simple football game besides the fact that they expect him to play favorites.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaos MD's post
04-01-2012, 11:10 PM
(28-12-2011 01:49 AM)cufflink Wrote:  During last Saturday's Broncos-Bills game, Bill Maher tweeted something about Tim Tebow that has outraged a lot of people.

For those who don't follow American football (I'm no expert myself), Tebow is a quarterback who makes an ostentatious show of his Christianity. He's had remarkable success this season, but Saturday's game was not a good performance.

What do you think? Did Maher overstep his bounds, or was his tweet justified?

Tebow is the Max Schmeling of the Christian right. He's become a propaganda prop and that makes him fair game. Though I do not believe he deserves it personally, blame that on the pastors who sought to use him as such.
04-01-2012, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 11:28 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
Everyone comments on how jesus helped them win, yet you can't make the opposite comment. Its just a religious double standard that he is pointing out. And of course he gets the usual we deserve unearned respect response from the fundy's.

I don't see the big deal.
[+] 2 users Like mysticjbyrd's post
04-01-2012, 11:32 PM
(04-01-2012 11:16 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Everyone comments on how jesus helped them win, yet you can't make the opposite comment. Its just a religious double standard that he is point out, and the usual we deserve unearned respect response from the fundy's.

I don't see the big deal.

The next job application that I fill out, the spot where they ask why I left my last job I'll put this: "God got me fired". I wonder how that will go over? I think it's partially correct. If the argument is that god made me and I got fired because I am an a-hole, then didn't god set me up? He gave me my disposition! AND he saw it coming and did nothing to warn me.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
05-01-2012, 01:10 PM

Bill Maher being Bill Maher.... whats the big deal?

His whole platform is to shock folks into thinking or reacting.

Funny, the Christians are boycotting HBO.......i thought they were instructed to give the other cheek...which would have been adding additional services to their cable.

Oh thats right, Christians dont read the bible...they just believe the feelgoodery babble their preacher puts in their Kool Aid.

I generally like Bill's shows but i know he goes to extremes to make a point, so what....last i checked we still have that 1st commandment of Thou shalt be able to have free exercise of speech, religion and press so sayeth the lord.[i]

I dont watch Foosball but isnt Tbow this dude that makes some religious gesture when something good happens? He must be too sta sta stupid to know he is opening himself up for lampooning.

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post