Bill Maher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-03-2014, 10:58 PM
RE: Bill Maher
(20-03-2014 10:44 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Not everyone that's an atheist is free of all bad ideas. Bill Maher make some stupid comments about vaccines, and Penn Jillette is a libertarian.

They can't all be winners.

Truedat. I like both of them (Penn and Bill) but have my reservations about some of the things they go on about.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
20-03-2014, 11:04 PM
(20-03-2014 10:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 10:44 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Not everyone that's an atheist is free of all bad ideas. Bill Maher make some stupid comments about vaccines, and Penn Jillette is a libertarian.

They can't all be winners.

Truedat. I like both of them (Penn and Bill) but have my reservations about some of the things they go on about.

Agreed, we're free thinkers after all. We can pick our preferences a la carte, you don't have to accept or agree with everything others do or say to appreciate some of the things they do.

I also appreciate Dr. Ken Miller's work on evolution, his support of science education, and his testimony in the Kitzmiller v Dover trail. That doesn't mean that I agree with how he's tried to reconcile his Catholicism with his scientific understanding of the world.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
20-03-2014, 11:05 PM
(20-03-2014 11:04 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 10:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Truedat. I like both of them (Penn and Bill) but have my reservations about some of the things they go on about.

Agreed, we're free thinkers after all. We can pick our preferences a la carte, you don't have to accept or agree with everything others do or say to appreciate some of the things they do.

I also appreciate Dr. Ken Miller's work on evolution, his support of science education, and his testimony in the Kitzmiller v Dover trail. That doesn't mean that I agree with how he's tried to reconcile his Catholicism with his scientific understanding of the world.

Fuck yeah, Miller's almost like a hero to me.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
20-03-2014, 11:09 PM
(20-03-2014 11:05 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 11:04 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Agreed, we're free thinkers after all. We can pick our preferences a la carte, you don't have to accept or agree with everything others do or say to appreciate some of the things they do.

Fuck yeah, Miller's almost like a hero to me.

I actually had his biology book for my senior year AP Biology class. Big Grin

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
21-03-2014, 03:26 PM
But as far as the general population goes this is a small percentage.

(19-03-2014 09:26 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(19-03-2014 03:05 PM)Sceadwian Wrote:  One of the things I find funny about Bill Maher is that for someone that doesn't believe in God he gets very very angry about God.

You got it all wrong. He gets riled up about, and pokes fun at, the people who fervently believe in this bullshit, even if for no other reason than the people who fervently believe in the bullshit are influencing laws and education for all of us, whether we like it or not, in a negative way.

Big difference.
22-03-2014, 02:48 AM
(20-03-2014 05:35 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 04:58 AM)Juv Wrote:  Bill Maher is not an atheist, he is anti-organised religion. He is also a total fucking woo-meister.

I can't understand the acceptance of him by non-believers. He deserves nothing but censure from skeptics.

Please explain 'woo-meister' ...
Thumbsup
Someone who promotes "woo" because of the public platform they have.
22-03-2014, 02:57 AM
(20-03-2014 05:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 04:58 AM)Juv Wrote:  Bill Maher is not an atheist, he is anti-organised religion. He is also a total fucking woo-meister.

What religion is he, then? I'm not saying you're wrong; all I have to go by is the two or three videos I've seen of him on YouTube, and that's about it.

He describes himself in interviews as Agnostic, and Apatheist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Maher#Religion
22-03-2014, 03:03 AM
I watch Real Time every week, but....
His jokes get cheaper.
He interrupts his guests more
The panels aren't as good as they used to be.
He worships the half-time guests far more than before.

It's a shell of 2006-2010

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
22-03-2014, 07:41 AM
(22-03-2014 02:57 AM)Juv Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 05:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  What religion is he, then? I'm not saying you're wrong; all I have to go by is the two or three videos I've seen of him on YouTube, and that's about it.

He describes himself in interviews as Agnostic, and Apatheist.

Ah, at first I thought you were going to say he was Buddhist, or something.

Unless he's an agnostic theist, then that would make him an agnostic atheist. Everyone is either a theist or an atheist; never neither, never both.
22-03-2014, 07:45 AM
(22-03-2014 07:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 02:57 AM)Juv Wrote:  He describes himself in interviews as Agnostic, and Apatheist.

Ah, at first I thought you were going to say he was Buddhist, or something.

Unless he's an agnostic theist, then that would make him an agnostic atheist. Everyone is either a theist or an atheist; never neither, never both.

Yanno Robby - in all honesty I do get quite lost at times in those definitions. In my head I just keep it clear as you describe here. Believer or no. All the muddy gray wasteland between the two is just the land of the undecided in my opinion.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.