Bill Maher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 02:20 PM
RE: Bill Maher
No two people will ever agree on the same subject. We are the land of the undecided.

What so few take into account is context.

(22-03-2014 07:45 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 07:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Ah, at first I thought you were going to say he was Buddhist, or something.

Unless he's an agnostic theist, then that would make him an agnostic atheist. Everyone is either a theist or an atheist; never neither, never both.

Yanno Robby - in all honesty I do get quite lost at times in those definitions. In my head I just keep it clear as you describe here. Believer or no. All the muddy gray wasteland between the two is just the land of the undecided in my opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2014, 09:59 PM
(22-03-2014 07:45 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 07:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Ah, at first I thought you were going to say he was Buddhist, or something.

Unless he's an agnostic theist, then that would make him an agnostic atheist. Everyone is either a theist or an atheist; never neither, never both.

Yanno Robby - in all honesty I do get quite lost at times in those definitions. In my head I just keep it clear as you describe here. Believer or no. All the muddy gray wasteland between the two is just the land of the undecided in my opinion.

If someone is undecided, then they're an atheist. Theism is the positive belief in a god, and atheism is the lack of positive belief in a god; whether that comes from ignorance, doubt, evidence, understanding, reasoning, etc.

Any amount of doubt that takes you away from certainty makes you an atheist. It's also why every theist is an atheist insofar as the gods of other religious traditions are concerned.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
22-03-2014, 11:42 PM
I love Bill to death! Heart

I can half-way understand why certain people dislike him, but he's an entertainer for crying out loud. He's supposed to be snarky and all that.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
24-03-2014, 03:17 PM
What about the theists (and this particular group is VERY large) that doesn't require a writ in stone 'god exists you must follow him' mentality? Are they not theists?

There are many forms of theism that some of the more extreme forms would consider just as 'pagan' as atheism, so you begin to wonder where this line between theism and atheism actually exists.

If you've ever seen the look of confusion and consternation on the face of a dyed in the wool creationist as they struggle with some deeply troubling information you'll see the doubt in their minds eye until they reaffirm their faith through a logic construction..

In that moment are they an atheist?

Any theist that doesn't say they have moments of doubt is lying to their bone, it's usually reaffirmed with 'and then god showed me the way' It becomes tennable at best to describe the difference between theism and atheism in the terms of positive belief or lack of positive belief.

I think it's so funny that people say words like this and simply don't understand that all language is a thousand shades of grey that transcend these cursory definitions. Which by the way vary from person to person and institution to institution.

(22-03-2014 09:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 07:45 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Yanno Robby - in all honesty I do get quite lost at times in those definitions. In my head I just keep it clear as you describe here. Believer or no. All the muddy gray wasteland between the two is just the land of the undecided in my opinion.

If someone is undecided, then they're an atheist. Theism is the positive belief in a god, and atheism is the lack of positive belief in a god; whether that comes from ignorance, doubt, evidence, understanding, reasoning, etc.

Any amount of doubt that takes you away from certainty makes you an atheist. It's also why every theist is an atheist insofar as the gods of other religious traditions are concerned.
24-03-2014, 03:55 PM
(19-03-2014 03:05 PM)Sceadwian Wrote:  One of the things I find funny about Bill Maher is that for someone that doesn't believe in God he gets very very angry about God. Classic anti-theist. I have an issue with that and it has nothing to do with theism in the slightest just extremism that I'll share later.

So, you would prefer that atheists just sit and meekly take the shit theists dish out. Fuck off.

Quote:The rational is very simple and I'm surprised it took me as long as it has to figure it out.[/qjoute]

*rationale

[quote]I've gotten into some nock down drag out fights with people trying to discuss atheism in some groups before and I never connected the dots, the people that react like this are invariably awakened theists or natural atheists that grew up in religious households, either way, someone that has close intimate contact with the worst theism has to offer.

Oh, yes, the ole "some theist slighted you" bullshit. <Yawn>

Quote:I was blessed (pun intended) growing up in a faith neutral household, my Mother was raised Catholic my Father's parents had strong Catholic ties but religion was never an issue in our household, so I had just a good common sense upbringing from people that weren't angry with faith despite disbelief or at least only cursory ritualistic prayer on the key holidays mostly to appease the relatives rather than the family.

What I've come to determine is that there all kinds of extremism, hardcore theism as well as hardcore atheism are bred into an individual either through positive or negative reinforcement that tends to reach the edges of experience very little middle, and I had NO idea how rare having an upbringing that was religiously neutral really was until I started to look into atheist communities as I most strongly identify with a hybrid agnostic + theological non-cognitive.

You need to learn that just because you think something up doesn't make it true.

Quote:It's an intense curiosity for me because I LIKE to discuss religion and the problem is that people chose sides rather than keep an open mind (in both directions outside of strict adherence to scripture) and that was my real epiphany, it's not the topic so much as it's the viewpoint we go into the topic that determines the outcome.

"Choosing sides vs. keeping open mind" = False Dichotomy Fallacy. No surrise here since it is employed to bolster your strawman argument against atheists who speak out against religious fucktardery.

Quote:To me this indicates that theism/atheism isn't the actual problem here as far as theology goes

You can just talk yourself into any bullshit idea, can't you.

Quote:but it's extremism in general that is the serious issue

Yes, because its just soooooo extreme to resist having your kids force-fed religion in the public schools. Fuck off.

Quote:and find it absolutely RIDICULOUS how difficult it is to find people that have a truly neutral stance on these matters that are willing to actually sanely discuss things rather than repeating talking points like a bad politician.

You have a unique interpretation of the word "sane".

Quote:*I dunno, just my two cents.*
*Anyone got change?*

I got shrapnel for ya.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
24-03-2014, 03:58 PM
(21-03-2014 03:26 PM)Sceadwian Wrote:  
(19-03-2014 09:26 PM)TheBear Wrote:  You got it all wrong. He gets riled up about, and pokes fun at, the people who fervently believe in this bullshit, even if for no other reason than the people who fervently believe in the bullshit are influencing laws and education for all of us, whether we like it or not, in a negative way.

Big difference.

But as far as the general population goes this is a small percentage.

You don't know that at all. You are just making up as you go along.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
24-03-2014, 11:18 PM
(24-03-2014 03:17 PM)Sceadwian Wrote:  
(22-03-2014 09:59 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  If someone is undecided, then they're an atheist. Theism is the positive belief in a god, and atheism is the lack of positive belief in a god; whether that comes from ignorance, doubt, evidence, understanding, reasoning, etc.

What about the theists (and this particular group is VERY large) that doesn't require a writ in stone 'god exists you must follow him' mentality? Are they not theists?

There are many forms of theism that some of the more extreme forms would consider just as 'pagan' as atheism, so you begin to wonder where this line between theism and atheism actually exists.

If you've ever seen the look of confusion and consternation on the face of a dyed in the wool creationist as they struggle with some deeply troubling information you'll see the doubt in their minds eye until they reaffirm their faith through a logic construction..

In that moment are they an atheist?

Any theist that doesn't say they have moments of doubt is lying to their bone, it's usually reaffirmed with 'and then god showed me the way' It becomes tennable at best to describe the difference between theism and atheism in the terms of positive belief or lack of positive belief.

I think it's so funny that people say words like this and simply don't understand that all language is a thousand shades of grey that transcend these cursory definitions. Which by the way vary from person to person and institution to institution.

1 - For the love of SHIT, stop posting above the text you are responding to. It's breaks the flow and it's obnoxious, so please stop it.

2 - Either you believe or you do not. Broadly, belief that a god exists is theism. If you are unsure that god exists, for whatever reason, then your belief is no longer certain. For however long you doubt the existence of god X, you are an atheist in regard to god X (so just about everyone is an atheist to 99.999% of all god concepts, some of us just take it to 100%). So moments of doubt would make a professed theist an atheist until they manage to either quell their doubt and reaffirm belief (once again become certain), or give it up an maintain their doubts (remain uncertain). Either you believe or you do not, regardless of what they may profess to others or spend their free time doing on Sundays. Do or do not, there is no try.
25-03-2014, 03:32 AM
There's a Bill Maher thread!? I fucking love this place! I am in love with him and deGrasse Tyson. I even wrote a sex story about Bill. Don't judge me. Ok, do. If you do, talk dirty to me. Thanks.

Sex is a wonderful thing. You have to have it. If you don't, you're wasting space in the universe. -Ivy
[+] 3 users Like Ivy's post
25-03-2014, 03:38 AM
BILL MAHER! SO RAW! SO POWERFUL! FEEL THE MAHER!

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
25-03-2014, 03:41 AM
(25-03-2014 03:38 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  BILL MAHER! SO RAW! SO POWERFUL! FEEL THE MAHER!

Yeah! Feel him up! I mean... Feel me, Maher! Er... I mean... Yeah!

Sex is a wonderful thing. You have to have it. If you don't, you're wasting space in the universe. -Ivy
[+] 2 users Like Ivy's post