Bill Maher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2014, 08:32 AM
RE: Bill Maher
(19-03-2014 03:05 PM)Sceadwian Wrote:  One of the things I find funny about Bill Maher is that for someone that doesn't believe in God he gets very very angry about God. Classic anti-theist. I have an issue with that and it has nothing to do with theism in the slightest just extremism that I'll share later.

The rational is very simple and I'm surprised it took me as long as it has to figure it out.

I've gotten into some nock down drag out fights with people trying to discuss atheism in some groups before and I never connected the dots, the people that react like this are invariably awakened theists or natural atheists that grew up in religious households, either way, someone that has close intimate contact with the worst theism has to offer. I was blessed (pun intended) growing up in a faith neutral household, my Mother was raised Catholic my Father's parents had strong Catholic ties but religion was never an issue in our household, so I had just a good common sense upbringing from people that weren't angry with faith despite disbelief or at least only cursory ritualistic prayer on the key holidays mostly to appease the relatives rather than the family.

What I've come to determine is that there all kinds of extremism, hardcore theism as well as hardcore atheism are bred into an individual either through positive or negative reinforcement that tends to reach the edges of experience very little middle, and I had NO idea how rare having an upbringing that was religiously neutral really was until I started to look into atheist communities as I most strongly identify with a hybrid agnostic + theological non-cognitive.

It's an intense curiosity for me because I LIKE to discuss religion and the problem is that people chose sides rather than keep an open mind (in both directions outside of strict adherence to scripture) and that was my real epiphany, it's not the topic so much as it's the viewpoint we go into the topic that determines the outcome.

To me this indicates that theism/atheism isn't the actual problem here as far as theology goes but it's extremism in general that is the serious issue and find it absolutely RIDICULOUS how difficult it is to find people that have a truly neutral stance on these matters that are willing to actually sanely discuss things rather than repeating talking points like a bad politician.

*I dunno, just my two cents.*
*Anyone got change?*

*rationale
*knockdown

You utterly misunderstand the video. He, like all atheists, is not angry at God. We are not angry at an imaginary being.

We are angry at real people who believe in this God/Allah/Yahweh character and try to impose their delusions on rational people.

You can have your 2¢ back.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
25-03-2014, 08:37 AM
(20-03-2014 04:58 AM)Juv Wrote:  Bill Maher is not an atheist, he is anti-organised religion. He is also a total fucking woo-meister.

I can't understand the acceptance of him by non-believers. He deserves nothing but censure from skeptics.

He is a self-described agnostic and apatheist. Any evidence for "woo-meister"?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-03-2014, 08:54 AM
(25-03-2014 08:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 04:58 AM)Juv Wrote:  Bill Maher is not an atheist, he is anti-organised religion. He is also a total fucking woo-meister.

I can't understand the acceptance of him by non-believers. He deserves nothing but censure from skeptics.

He is a self-described agnostic and apatheist. Any evidence for "woo-meister"?

He's not exactly a believer in so-called "medicine", for starters....

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
25-03-2014, 07:41 PM
(25-03-2014 03:41 AM)Ivy Wrote:  Yeah! Feel him up! I mean... Feel me, Maher! Er... I mean... Yeah!

I would do sick things to that man given the chance.

It's not even so much his atheism. I think he has a sexy voice, and the fact that he is an ex Jew is kind of my fetish.

/offtopicsorry

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
25-03-2014, 09:55 PM
(25-03-2014 07:41 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 03:41 AM)Ivy Wrote:  Yeah! Feel him up! I mean... Feel me, Maher! Er... I mean... Yeah!

I would do sick things to that man given the chance.

It's not even so much his atheism. I think he has a sexy voice, and the fact that he is an ex Jew is kind of my fetish.

/offtopicsorry

Bill Maher is an ex-Catholic...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
25-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Hey Ivy you think you can work me in to a Bill Maher fan fiction with you? I saw yours in area 69. I want to fantasize about Bill Maher with you Drooling

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
25-03-2014, 10:42 PM
(25-03-2014 09:59 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Hey Ivy you think you can work me in to a Bill Maher fan fiction with you? I saw yours in area 69. I want to fantasize about Bill Maher with you Drooling

[Image: tumblr_lt12kxX8RR1r3k1m8o1_500.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
25-03-2014, 10:45 PM
(25-03-2014 10:42 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 09:59 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Hey Ivy you think you can work me in to a Bill Maher fan fiction with you? I saw yours in area 69. I want to fantasize about Bill Maher with you Drooling

[Image: tumblr_lt12kxX8RR1r3k1m8o1_500.gif]

Umm I fancy myself a decent looking woman and I know Ivy is sexy as hell. I want to to get naked with her you can just disregard the fact that Bill Maher is there Tongue

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 2 users Like Losty's post
25-03-2014, 10:55 PM
(25-03-2014 10:45 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 10:42 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: tumblr_lt12kxX8RR1r3k1m8o1_500.gif]

Umm I fancy myself a decent looking woman and I know Ivy is sexy as hell. I want to to get naked with her you can just disregard the fact that Bill Maher is there Tongue

I enjoy pretty ladies as much as anyone else, what I don't need is Bill Maher interfering with my fantasies; mainly because I have an overactive imagination. Things will be going down and all the while I'll just be waiting for and imagining Bill breaking out into a 'New Rules' skit right in the middle of everything. Total deal breaker... Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
25-03-2014, 10:57 PM
(25-03-2014 10:55 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-03-2014 10:45 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Umm I fancy myself a decent looking woman and I know Ivy is sexy as hell. I want to to get naked with her you can just disregard the fact that Bill Maher is there Tongue

I enjoy pretty ladies as much as anyone else, what I don't need is Bill Maher interfering with my fantasies; mainly because I have an overactive imagination. Things will be going down and all the while I'll just be waiting for and imagining Bill breaking out into a 'New Rules' skit right in the middle of everything. Total deal breaker... Tongue

LOL You just ruined my Bill Maher fantasy! Now every time I think of him I will be laughing imagining him adding a "new rules" section into sex! Hilarious but not nice. Thanks a lot! Lol Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Losty's post