Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2012, 03:04 PM
RE: Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children
(02-09-2012 10:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 10:11 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  Bill Nye, the man who taught me as a child to correctly pronounce the name Uranus.

Please teach Erxy. Drinking Beverage

I use the correct pronuniation. It's not my fault the Politically Correct gang went and changed it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-09-2012, 03:06 PM
(21-09-2012 02:59 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  My current angst is coming from if the Bible isn't a science book and it's not an historical text (just me saying that from the overall lack of corrobating information) then what is the point? Sorry this last part might be off topic....

Grimm's Fairy Tales or maybe Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales. Don't have to be true to be instructive. Wink

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-09-2012, 03:06 PM
(21-09-2012 02:59 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  My current angst is coming from if the Bible isn't a science book and it's not an historical text (just me saying that from the overall lack of corrobating information) then what is the point?

This is one of the many factors that finally woke me up to my delusions, although it took a very, very long time to reach that conclusion.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
21-09-2012, 03:17 PM
The reason I discovered TTA is because of this video. NPR shared it on Tumblr and I started watching on Youtube. Saw the video "Top 10 Creationist Arguments" in the related section and it sparked my interest. Thoroughly enjoyed it and watched a few more and eventually found myself here.

Totally an awesome decision.

"I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
[+] 1 user Likes ctull's post
21-09-2012, 04:40 PM
(21-09-2012 03:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 02:59 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  My current angst is coming from if the Bible isn't a science book and it's not an historical text (just me saying that from the overall lack of corrobating information) then what is the point? Sorry this last part might be off topic....

Grimm's Fairy Tales or maybe Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales. Don't have to be true to be instructive. Wink

In many ways they do provide the basis for moral discussion. Now, I can add another level of personal confusion.

---
On the Fence
21-09-2012, 04:41 PM
(21-09-2012 03:06 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 02:59 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  My current angst is coming from if the Bible isn't a science book and it's not an historical text (just me saying that from the overall lack of corrobating information) then what is the point?

This is one of the many factors that finally woke me up to my delusions, although it took a very, very long time to reach that conclusion.

I keep trying to think of reasons not to walk away.

---
On the Fence
21-09-2012, 04:48 PM
(21-09-2012 04:41 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 03:06 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  This is one of the many factors that finally woke me up to my delusions, although it took a very, very long time to reach that conclusion.

I keep trying to think of reasons not to walk away.

The only reasons that occur to me are personal/social ones. Will walking away affect your life?

I was never a believer, so I can't share your experience, although I sympathize.

For me, the idea of faith is foreign.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-09-2012, 04:59 PM
My family would disown me. I fear what my husband would say...but I'm just learning more and more reasons not to believe.

---
On the Fence
21-09-2012, 05:23 PM
(21-09-2012 03:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I use the correct pronuniation.

But not the correct speeling, apparently.

(21-09-2012 04:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 04:41 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  I keep trying to think of reasons not to walk away.

The only reasons that occur to me are personal/social ones. Will walking away affect your life?

(21-09-2012 04:59 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  My family would disown me. I fear what my husband would say...but I'm just learning more and more reasons not to believe.

If you're already struggling to think of reasons not to walk away, you're reaching the point where you have to make a different choice: is it worth it to keep going through the motions, adopt a "faith" that is agnosticism with religious trappings? Or is it better to be honest with the ones you love about what you really believe?

Damn people who won't let us be honest about who we are and what we think.
[+] 3 users Like rook2004's post
21-09-2012, 05:43 PM
(21-09-2012 05:23 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 03:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I use the correct pronuniation.

But not the correct speeling, apparently.

(21-09-2012 04:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  The only reasons that occur to me are personal/social ones. Will walking away affect your life?

(21-09-2012 04:59 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  My family would disown me. I fear what my husband would say...but I'm just learning more and more reasons not to believe.

If you're already struggling to think of reasons not to walk away, you're reaching the point where you have to make a different choice: is it worth it to keep going through the motions, adopt a "faith" that is agnosticism with religious trappings? Or is it better to be honest with the ones you love about what you really believe?

Damn people who won't let us be honest about who we are and what we think.

I would have to sit on my hands and pretend. I'm not quite there yet. It's funny but I've been looking through some of the posts here and must admit I'm rather surprised. I expected more "anger". When my family or church friends talk of atheists they're always mean and angry. But people here have been quite nice and rather comfortable.

---
On the Fence