Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2012, 05:46 PM
RE: Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children
(21-09-2012 05:43 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:23 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  But not the correct speeling, apparently.

If you're already struggling to think of reasons not to walk away, you're reaching the point where you have to make a different choice: is it worth it to keep going through the motions, adopt a "faith" that is agnosticism with religious trappings? Or is it better to be honest with the ones you love about what you really believe?

Damn people who won't let us be honest about who we are and what we think.

I would have to sit on my hands and pretend. I'm not quite there yet. It's funny but I've been looking through some of the posts here and must admit I'm rather surprised. I expected more "anger". When my family or church friends talk of atheists they're always mean and angry. But people here have been quite nice and rather comfortable.

With thanks to W. Shakespeare:

I am an atheist. Hath not an atheist eyes?
Hath not an atheist hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions?
Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases,
healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is?
If you prick us, do we not bleed?
If you tickle us, do we not laugh?
If you poison us, do we not die?
and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
21-09-2012, 05:48 PM
(21-09-2012 05:43 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  I would have to sit on my hands and pretend. I'm not quite there yet. It's funny but I've been looking through some of the posts here and must admit I'm rather surprised. I expected more "anger". When my family or church friends talk of atheists they're always mean and angry. But people here have been quite nice and rather comfortable.

Welcome to that experience. It's a beautiful thing.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
21-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children
(21-09-2012 05:43 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:23 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  But not the correct speeling, apparently.

If you're already struggling to think of reasons not to walk away, you're reaching the point where you have to make a different choice: is it worth it to keep going through the motions, adopt a "faith" that is agnosticism with religious trappings? Or is it better to be honest with the ones you love about what you really believe?

Damn people who won't let us be honest about who we are and what we think.

I would have to sit on my hands and pretend. I'm not quite there yet. It's funny but I've been looking through some of the posts here and must admit I'm rather surprised. I expected more "anger". When my family or church friends talk of atheists they're always mean and angry. But people here have been quite nice and rather comfortable.

Fear not. You'll run into some pretty rabid Anti-Theists sooner or later. Maybe they're staying quiet because you're on the fence.

Or maybe they're just getting ready for our weekly orgy and Baby Feast.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
21-09-2012, 07:13 PM
(21-09-2012 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:43 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  I would have to sit on my hands and pretend. I'm not quite there yet. It's funny but I've been looking through some of the posts here and must admit I'm rather surprised. I expected more "anger". When my family or church friends talk of atheists they're always mean and angry. But people here have been quite nice and rather comfortable.

With thanks to W. Shakespeare:

Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases,
healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Christian is?

Thumbsup

The Atheist of Venice. My fave.

Did it at school. I got to do the parts with the Atheist accents cos of Atheism on my mother's side (the side that counts)

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2012, 07:19 PM
(21-09-2012 05:43 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  It's funny but I've been looking through some of the posts here and must admit I'm rather surprised. I expected more "anger".

Oy vey!

You want anger? We can do anger... Censored

... already.

(that was my best atheist accent)

(21-09-2012 05:43 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  ...I keep trying to think of reasons not to walk away...

Stay, we need people on the inside... moles... agent provocateurs.

Find out what you can. Report back.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
22-09-2012, 12:34 PM
(21-09-2012 07:19 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:43 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  It's funny but I've been looking through some of the posts here and must admit I'm rather surprised. I expected more "anger".

Oy vey!

You want anger? We can do anger... Censored

... already.

(that was my best atheist accent)

(21-09-2012 05:43 PM)Onthefence Wrote:  ...I keep trying to think of reasons not to walk away...

Stay, we need people on the inside... moles... agent provocateurs.

Find out what you can. Report back.

Lol. Ok that made m laugh!

---
On the Fence
[+] 1 user Likes Onthefence's post
22-09-2012, 02:24 PM
(21-09-2012 07:13 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  With thanks to W. Shakespeare:

Thumbsup

The Atheist of Venice. My fave.

Did it at school. I got to do the parts with the Atheist accents cos of Atheism on my mother's side (the side that counts)

Just shows the genius and universality of Shakespeare.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-09-2012, 12:49 PM
What is amazing is that his comments are seen as "controversial".

Telling creationists that they are screwing their childern if they teach them fairy tales about the world.

How dare he have such gall Weeping

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
24-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I must say I chuckled at the "countries" they mentioned in their rebuttal video. While its nice that woman is teaching her children both science and evolution I do wonder if she's being honest about the evolution stuff.

A few weeks ago I certainly wasn't qualified to discuss it in any way. Now that I'm learning about it, I'm understanding the flaws in their thinking.
[+] 1 user Likes Onthefence's post
28-09-2012, 08:10 PM
When I watched this, I just wanted to find Bill Nye and hug him. ^_^ but yeah, it's amazing this is considered controversial. Some people I know thought it was outrageous and scandalous, which blows my mind.

I don't plan on having children, but if I did, I'd get them to watch Bill Nye.

Quote: I expected more "anger". When my family or church friends talk of atheists they're always mean and angry. But people here have been quite nice and rather comfortable.

Some people are angry, but I think this stereotype is more that a lot of religious people seem to take offense at the mere mention of atheism, as though the existence of atheists is not merely a person who sees the world a bit differently than they do, but an attack on their entire existence. Some of my relatives are very much like this. I don't go out of my way to discuss religious things with them, but they think it's their business and find it offensive that I "reject God." Well, I don't believe in him, it's not like I'm rebelling against him just to upset people. Though personally, I have gone through phases when it seemed like the whole world was insane.