Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Heard about this on NPR this morning. Bill Nye, the Science Guy, has a brief but powerful anti-creationism video on YouTube. It's been up 5 days and already has 1.7 million hits.

I love this guy!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like cufflink's post
28-08-2012, 08:57 AM
(28-08-2012 08:56 AM)cufflink Wrote:  Heard about this on NPR this morning. Bill Nye, the Science Guy, has a brief but powerful anti-creationism video on YouTube. It's been up 5 days and already has 1.7 million hits.

I love this guy!

He was a local Seattle kid made good. I like to see him taking this stand. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
28-08-2012, 09:00 AM
RE: Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children
I posted this yesterday here somewhere else. CNN also had it. It got 8,000 comments on CNN. Amazing Americans are THAT stupid, that it would yank an all-time number of chains.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Answers in Genesis posted this on their FB page soliciting opinions from it's subscribers.... the comments are mind-numbing.
[+] 1 user Likes ibanezerscrooge's post
28-08-2012, 09:31 AM
(28-08-2012 09:28 AM)ibanezerscrooge Wrote:  Answers in Genesis posted this on their FB page soliciting opinions from it's subscribers.... the comments are mind-numbing.

Ugh, I just went and had a look at that. I can't believe people are that stupid.

One of the comments from a pastor: "Please...PLEASE! Ken Ham...debate this guy!"

I'd love to see that.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 3 users Like frankiej's post
28-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I have always looked up to Bill Nye, and you know why? Because as a kid he was the best science teacher I had. He cared. You could tell he cared on every episode. That's why he blew the sub par Beakmans world out of the water (though I still watched it, I never missed me some Nye.)

He has a passion for science and it shows.

Most childhood icons I had have, upon growing up, lost some of their luster if not all of it. Not Nye, he has retained all of the love I gave to him from across the world and gained more. I have the utmost respect for him. He will always be my science guy.

Long live Nye.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like lucradis's post
28-08-2012, 07:08 PM
(28-08-2012 09:00 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  . Amazing Americans are THAT stupid, that it would yank an all-time number of chains.

Censored

I posted a comment.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
28-08-2012, 07:45 PM
I love Bill Nye. I agree with the comments here that describe him as a caring guy on his show. He's passionate about science, and it shows. Folks like that make the best teachers. It was here that I first watched Lawrence Krauss' talk on A Universe From Nothing. Krauss knows his stuff and is also passionate about it. That's inspiring. The world needs more folks like these. Go science! Thumbsup

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
28-08-2012, 08:33 PM
(28-08-2012 09:31 AM)frankiej Wrote:  "Please...PLEASE! Ken Ham...debate this guy!"

There is a reason why people like Ken avoid debating people like Bill, and Edward Gibbon wrote it in The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, volume 1:

"That the new sect of Christians was almost entirely composed of the dregs of the populace, of peasants and mechanics, of boys and women, of beggars and slaves, the last of whom might sometimes introduce the missionaries into the rich and noble families to which they belonged. These obscure teachers (such was the charge of malice and infidelity) are as mute in public as they are loquacious and dogmatical in private. Whilst they cautiously avoid the dangerous encounter of philosophers, they mingle with the rude and illiterate crowd, and insinuate themselves into those minds, whom their age, their sex, or their education, has the best disposed to receive the impression of superstitious terrors."

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 2 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
28-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Or to quote the 2nd century CE Greek philosopher Celsus, whom Gibbon based the above passage upon:

"‘Their injunctions are like this. “Let no one educated, no one wise, no one sensible draw near. For these abilities are thought by us to be evils. But as for anyone ignorant, anyone stupid, anyone uneducated, anyone who is a child, let him come boldly.” By the fact that they themselves admit that these people are worthy of their God, they show that they want and are able to convince only the foolish, dishonorable and stupid, and only slaves, women, and little children.’"

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 1 user Likes Diogenes of Mayberry's post