Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 06:49 AM
RE: Bill Nye: Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children
Not to rain on anyone's parade... but in this video I think he fails to make his case, and seems to stray into equating evolution with the big bang theory with references to "distant stars" and "deep time". Perhaps it's just the way this video is cut Undecided Carl Sagan was also very loose in using the term "evolution", and that loose approach is deeply embedded into modern Christian apologetics.

Comparing non-acceptance of evolution with not knowing about tectonic plates is a bit weird. Geology was a fairly mature field by the time tectonic plates were discovered only last century. You can do a hell of a lot of geology without an understanding that the continents are in motion.

To say "why not" as an argument for believing is also not a good basic model for critical thinking. Evolution is an extraordinary claim and does require extraordinary evidence. Rather than asking "why not" it's better to ask what someone believes and why they believe it, and contrast the foundation of their belief with the foundation of the generally accepted model.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2012, 08:37 PM
(31-08-2012 04:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So the creationist fools have posted a rebuttal to Nye's video, which was widely watched. It's pretty pathetic.

http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/...-rebuttal/

I absolutely do not get the whole "observational" versus "non-oservational" science argument they keep pushing. Do these people totally dismiss forensic science? The science that solves murders and rapes? So, you have to actually see something happen to be able to say that it did or did not happen? There's no other way to deduce these things? It's just ludicrous.
02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
GO BILL!
02-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Bill Nye, the man who taught me as a child to correctly pronounce the name Uranus.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
02-09-2012, 10:28 PM
(02-09-2012 10:11 PM)Matthew Laramore Wrote:  Bill Nye, the man who taught me as a child to correctly pronounce the name Uranus.

Please teach Erxy. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Where does he talk about creationism in this vid?

What if there was a creator made things to evolve?

He just want's people to acknowledge that things evolve.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
02-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Okay, so I made good on my promise to volunteer for the re-watching experiment. YouTube came to my rescue yet again!

I watched 4 full episodes and some bits and pieces of other episodes. Overall, I found it to be still pretty fun and definitely down on a level kids can easily understand and enjoy. There's plenty of educational value, but I feel there's enough entertainment value along with that to keep a kid's interest. I did think, though, that the direction of the programs was pretty dated. They used a lot of the silly gimmicks that were popular in the earlier and mid-90's, like the "skipping" clips. Think Max Headroom on that one. Also, there were some quick-cuts that kind of jarred me. I think those were popular back then, too. Even so, I had fun watching it, and this is something I'd like to introduce my little one to one day when he's old enough for it.

Good fun. Smile

Go Team Nye!
02-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Is it possible that the title isn't accurate for the video? Really it seems to be a teach children to use logic, be critical, explore science and not teach them god did it, have faith. I just got the impression that he's saying if they don't teach children that evolution is true, then you have to throw out a lot of science--with the parts of science you have to throw out involve things they do use.

I almost feel like he was thinking of addressing a number of items--and then smashed them all in a small video.

But really, if a person denies all evolution (change) in an organism, we'd be screwed. Apparently the CDC is discussing increasing the alcohol content in hand sanitizers, because bacteria have evolved enough in a large scale that they aren't as effective (according to a local health department worker) as humans were over-using the stuff.
03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
(02-09-2012 08:37 PM)ibanezerscrooge Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 04:21 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So the creationist fools have posted a rebuttal to Nye's video, which was widely watched. It's pretty pathetic.

http://blogs.answersingenesis.org/blogs/...-rebuttal/

I absolutely do not get the whole "observational" versus "non-oservational" science argument they keep pushing. Do these people totally dismiss forensic science? The science that solves murders and rapes? So, you have to actually see something happen to be able to say that it did or did not happen? There's no other way to deduce these things? It's just ludicrous.

they have no reason to accept real evidence as almost all of it will clearly show they have NO case using science to prove the bible is in any way an accurate portrayal of reality, so they lie and conjure up half-truths and shell-games to keep moving the goal posts and avoiding the truth that there is little truth in their mythology...

skeptic, former worship leader, lover of life and enjoying freedom from religion!
21-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I've noted that many young people in our church are questioning the validity (and rightfully so) of creationism. The older congregation members scoff and call them stupid, saying their minds are being poisoned by public education.

Personally, I think they must change their approach and take the time to listen. I'm not saying God (or aliens for that matter) couldn't have had a hand in it, but they need to understand the Bible was never meant to be a science book.

My current angst is coming from if the Bible isn't a science book and it's not an historical text (just me saying that from the overall lack of corrobating information) then what is the point? Sorry this last part might be off topic....

---
On the Fence