Bill O'Reilly Once Again Proves He's a Moron

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Bill O'Reilly Once Again Proves He's a Moron
Bill O'Reilly on Science: You Can't Explain the Tides
O'Reilly flubs science in debate with man behind atheist billboards

Newser) – Apparently, Bill O’Reilly has never heard of the moon. In a debate Tuesday with Dave Silverman, head of the American Atheist group behind this, the Fox host tried to prove the existence of God by citing the unknowable mysteries of the tides. “I’ll tell you why [religion is] not a scam, in my opinion,” he told Silverman. “Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can’t explain that. You can’t explain why the tide goes in.”

Silverman looked stunned. “Tide goes in, tide goes out?” he stuttered. O’Reilly pressed on. “The water, the tide—it comes in and it goes out. It always goes in, then it goes out. … You can’t explain that. You can’t explain it.” Of course, Raw Story points out, people who passed high school science might tell you that tides are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon as it orbits the earth. But Silverman had a better response: “Maybe it’s Thor up on Mount Olympus who’s making the tides go in and out." (Click for more on O'Reilly and the very high-profile interview he just landed.)

http://www.newser.com/story/109164/bill-...tides.html

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2011, 08:52 AM
RE: Bill O'Reilly Once Again Proves He's a Moron
He used that very same argument with Richard Dawkins. Dawkins, ignoring the obvious answer that O'Reilly probably would not understand, chose to translate the question into "There are things that happen that we do not understand why". In O'Reilly's defense, he likely has no idea that what scientists are really puzzling over. Well, anyway Dawkins tried to explain the flaw of the God of the Gaps, but O'Reilly just said that he'll become an atheist when scientists have discovered every single thing in the universe to know.

I have to say, out of the Three Stooges of radical conservativeism(Beck, O'Reilly, Limbaugh), O'Reilly pisses me off the most. This video of Bill O'Reilly interviewing a son of a 9/11 victim(Jeremy Glick) who is against the war always pisses me off. As though everyone directly affected by 9/11 would/does support the war, or at least how the war played out.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-01-2011, 03:59 PM
This is the most pitiful move I've seen and it's obviously exploiting people who don't have an education. The next banner should be "Bill o'Reiley didn't finish high school".
That just infuriates me , appealing to ignorance and those who couldn't afford an education.
08-01-2011, 07:29 PM
(08-01-2011 03:59 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  This is the most pitiful move I've seen and it's obviously exploiting people who don't have an education. The next banner should be "Bill o'Reiley didn't finish high school".
That just infuriates me , appealing to ignorance and those who couldn't afford an education.

I'm confused. Are you referring to me? :/

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
09-01-2011, 02:33 AM

I just finished watching the full debate... What a moron!! Silverman's reaction was priceless though when O'Reilly said 'Tide goes in, tide goes out'!
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Bill O'Reilly is absolutely not a moron. He is, in fact, an extremely educated man with degrees from Harvard, Boston University, and Queen Mary College at the University of London. That pedigree does not automatically elevate you to the status of genius, but, as a general rule, a moron is not going to sneak past the admissions board of all those institutions.

My guess is that O'Reilly knows exactly why the tides rise and fall. It is also my guess that he knows exactly who watches his show and gives him the ratings that have made him a very, very rich man.

He's not a moron, he's just an entertainer who uses his position to pander to the lowest common denominator and make a fortune while doing so. There is nothing illegal about that, but from an ethical perspective I find it fairly despicable.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-01-2011, 04:28 PM

I hate these Fox News assholes who call themselves "entertainers" when their propaganda is so blatantly obvious they can't defend themselves. People look to them for news. For many, they determine what is real and what is not. It is a position of extraordinary responsibility that these clowns who wish to solidify the supremacy of corporate America are simply not qualified to fill.
09-01-2011, 05:22 PM
It may be true that many people look to Bill O'Reilly or Glen Beck or even Jon Stewart to tell them what is true in the world, but that is not their fault. It's the fault of people who don't take the time to educate themselves on the world. It's the market place of ideas. If people did not watch, then Fox would take them off the air. They keep them on because people watch and they generate ratings and money.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
10-01-2011, 09:52 AM

(09-01-2011 05:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  It may be true that many people look to Bill O'Reilly or Glen Beck or even Jon Stewart to tell them what is true in the world, but that is not their fault. It's the fault of people who don't take the time to educate themselves on the world. It's the market place of ideas. If people did not watch, then Fox would take them off the air. They keep them on because people watch and they generate ratings and money.

exactly... finding the real facts is just way too much work for our zero attention span countrymen... its way too time consuming to mill through all the BS and it takes away from facebook time to actually come up with ones own original idea about what might really be going on in the world around us. for some the truth is what preacher beck tells them it is... and education is for leftist elitists.
10-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Stephen Colbert took a great stab at this (as usual) and enlisted the help of Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson. Here's the link:

http://www.colbertnation.com/home

It's the 2nd or 3rd video down. "Bill O'Reilly Proves God's Existence - Neil deGrasse Tyson." Hilarious!

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.