Bill O'Reilly Once Again Proves He's a Moron

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2011, 02:22 PM
RE: Bill O'Reilly Once Again Proves He's a Moron
(09-01-2011 05:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  It may be true that many people look to Bill O'Reilly or Glen Beck or even Jon Stewart to tell them what is true in the world, but that is not their fault. It's the fault of people who don't take the time to educate themselves on the world. It's the market place of ideas. If people did not watch, then Fox would take them off the air. They keep them on because people watch and they generate ratings and money.

BnW you’re wrong. Bill O’Reilly can and should be blamed. O’Reilly is not taking advantage of people who refuse to be educated; he is taking advantage of people who aren’t educated. Not everyone has the option to be educated. Not everyone has a computer or knows how to use one. It also doesn’t help the O’Reilly is on a network that claims to be news. Fox makes it incredible difficult to tell news apart from opinion. Remember the president’s trip to India and how the station was guessing on the cost. The story was run on the regular “news” as well as the commentary sections. O’Reilly is taking advantage of people to make money. While what he is doing is legal, he has helped create a group of people that are completely ignorant of reality.

I would compare this to modern religion. Fox news gives false information and then discourages looking for answers. Fox news’ biggest talking points are that the all other news stations are run by the left, and Media Matters is a hate group. Where are Fox news viewers supposed to go when their Fox news says there isn’t anywhere else to go.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2011, 02:40 PM

That Colbert vid was priceless.
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2011, 08:21 PM
(10-01-2011 02:22 PM)obring Wrote:  
(09-01-2011 05:22 PM)BnW Wrote:  It may be true that many people look to Bill O'Reilly or Glen Beck or even Jon Stewart to tell them what is true in the world, but that is not their fault. It's the fault of people who don't take the time to educate themselves on the world. It's the market place of ideas. If people did not watch, then Fox would take them off the air. They keep them on because people watch and they generate ratings and money.

BnW you’re wrong. Bill O’Reilly can and should be blamed. O’Reilly is not taking advantage of people who refuse to be educated; he is taking advantage of people who aren’t educated. Not everyone has the option to be educated. Not everyone has a computer or knows how to use one. It also doesn’t help the O’Reilly is on a network that claims to be news. Fox makes it incredible difficult to tell news apart from opinion. Remember the president’s trip to India and how the station was guessing on the cost. The story was run on the regular “news” as well as the commentary sections. O’Reilly is taking advantage of people to make money. While what he is doing is legal, he has helped create a group of people that are completely ignorant of reality.

I would compare this to modern religion. Fox news gives false information and then discourages looking for answers. Fox news’ biggest talking points are that the all other news stations are run by the left, and Media Matters is a hate group. Where are Fox news viewers supposed to go when their Fox news says there isn’t anywhere else to go.

I don't agree with a lot of what you said here, especially the part about not everyone having the "option to be educated". I thought that was pretty silly.

However, events over the past weekend are making me re-think my take on these hate mongering entertainers and the role they play in society.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2011, 07:48 AM

I think the blame lays upon both parties. Obviously citizens have a responsibility to know what is going on before they cast their vote. But I DO think that newsmen have an equal responsibility to carry out their jobs with some dignity, especially when these newsmen have access to the powers of corporate propaganda to push a specific point of view.

Besides, people they think they ARE educating themselves and learning the truth when they watch Fox or to a lesser degree, MSNBC (Except Ed Schultz, I hate that asshole). There needs to be a greater awareness that this is not an adequate message of informing oneself.

Besides, isn't the basic structure of every society to have its intellectual elites and its "common folk?" Perhaps the stupidity of the common folk is higher in America than in other developed areas of the world, but still isn't as bad as India. And in India, one CAN say that people do not have the option to be educated.

Is it perhaps unrealistic to expect this structure to dramatically alter? I guess it would be equally unrealistic to expect someone to talk some sense into the relatively few people who control what the American people think (And I know, the people should control what they think, but that is part of the intellectual divide), since the establishment supports this organized propaganda, and so no organization with sufficient power or influence would be willing to make a difference.
Quote this message in a reply