Bill O'Reilly ask us a question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2011, 09:57 PM

RE: Bill O'Reilly ask us a question
Continuing proof that Colbert is awesome. F'ing funny.
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert...asse-tyson
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2011, 03:21 AM
(02-02-2011 09:30 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Dannypants answered him brilliantly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPDh0O9YJ0

I would love to hi-jack the FOX News' broadcast frequency and fill it with videos like that.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2011, 04:07 AM

Bill O'Reilly is a person who clearly have not done any research what so ever on the subject.
Or if he have, he tosses it out, for it does not fit with his personal faith.

And his comment: "Tide comes in, tides goes out"...That one actually pisses me off, for even a kid from kindergarten can explain this.
There is children books here that actually explains how it works, without making it sound extremely technical.

He really should read more about it before he call other people pinheads.
03-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Bill O'Really?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
03-02-2011, 05:56 AM
(03-02-2011 04:07 AM)GunLar Wrote:  Bill O'Reilly is a person who clearly have not done any research what so ever on the subject.
Or if he have, he tosses it out, for it does not fit with his personal faith.

I think he does understand this and he tosses it out because it does not fit with his personal profit motive.

I have a lot more time and respect for people who genuinely believe this stuff then I do for highly educated individuals like O'Reilly who make a fortune pandering to the least educated people in our society.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
04-02-2011, 06:44 AM

At first I was irritated with good ol' Bill, but for him to take the effort to make that video gave me a really good laugh! Big Grin

Can't believe he actually has a website with a "premium membership" seriously? Pay to hear what he says???

http://billoreilly.com/membership LOL
04-02-2011, 09:35 AM
A lot of people are taking the progression of what he is saying an interpreting that he is making a god-of-the-gaps argument. I don't think that's correct. If you really listen to what he's saying he's making a clumsy appeal to the anthropic argument.

He's trying to say the universe is fine tuned for human life, and that suggests a creator. This is a much more subtle argument than the god-of-the-gaps argument. And it's harder to shake because the counter argument is a little trickier to grasp. One first has to imagine a universe in which man was not the intended result, but is just one of an infinite number of end results given a specific set of criteria which in certain conditions will inevitably arise.
05-02-2011, 08:23 AM

I think there is a simpler way to counter the designed universe argument without referring to the anthropic principle, which I personally accept as it makes sense, but it isn't the most satisfying explanation. If God created the universe, then he clearly could have made it anything he wanted to make it. He has unlimited power. So he isn't limited by the constraints of life in this universe. He simply could make a universe, and then fine tune life to live in that universe. It's not like God wanted humans very badly, and so had to create the universe with that in mind, implying that the knowledge of the anatomy of humans exited before the beginning of time and the universe.

So, life is fine tuned to the conditions of the universe, not the other way around. Simply take God out of the picture and you are left with the perfect mechanism that allows organisms to fine-tune themselves to their environment- evolution.

On second thought, I may be bordering on an anthropic argument here.
05-02-2011, 04:01 PM
As a Canadian, I gott ask. Are most Americans aware of the fact that Fox News spews the most perverse kind of demagoguery, that is to say, the sort that is not even based on a truly deep-seated belief but rather in a concerted effort to say, without forethought or self-censorship, whatever can best pander to the basest beliefs of their demographic in order to sell more and more advertising, that is to say, mouth vomit for profit?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
05-02-2011, 04:14 PM
(05-02-2011 04:01 PM)Ghost Wrote:  As a Canadian, I gott ask. Are most Americans aware of the fact that Fox News spews the most perverse kind of demagoguery, that is to say, the sort that is not even based on a truly deep-seated belief but rather in a concerted effort to say, without forethought or self-censorship, whatever can best pander to the basest beliefs of their demographic in order to sell more and more advertising, that is to say, mouth vomit for profit?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I would saaaaaaay, maybe 60% realize this. America is very good at feeding the public subtle bullsh!t without them realizing it. Fox is kind of like energy drinks... when they came out, everyone just kinda laughed and went, yeah, ok, Fox "News"/"energy" drinks... but then they stuck around, slowly becoming more and more biased/accepted. People started taking the News part as a given and forgot that they were on a network (aka agenda driven).

Plus, now that the other news stations have started pandering to their audiences with Fox-like rhetoric (entertainment over information), it's all just one big circus anyways.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."