Billionaire funds birth control in Colorado. 40% drop in birth rates

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2014, 09:34 AM
RE: Billionaire funds birth control in Colorado. 40% drop in birth rates
(07-08-2014 03:48 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  "When you teach children they're animals and that they've evolved from pigs and dogs and apes then they act like animals.
Clearly this guy's lineage hasn't evolved as far as some others.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
08-08-2014, 10:22 AM
"Advocates of abstinence-only say equipping teens for safe sex, without their parents' involvement, signals a surrender to reality rather than a victory" (from The Denver Post article).

Heaven forbid that reality play a role in decisions teens (and others) make regarding their sex-lives.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
08-08-2014, 10:28 AM
(08-08-2014 10:22 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  "Advocates of abstinence-only say equipping teens for safe sex, without their parents' involvement, signals a surrender to reality rather than a victory" (from The Denver Post article).

Heaven forbid that reality play a role in decisions teens (and others) make regarding their sex-lives.

Abstinence only is a giant fail. It just teaches a lack of preparation for the real world.
08-08-2014, 11:39 AM
(08-08-2014 10:22 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  "Advocates of abstinence-only say equipping teens for safe sex, without their parents' involvement, signals a surrender to reality rather than a victory" (from The Denver Post article).

They don't like reality so they don't live there.

When my daughter was 16 and had a boyfriend I could see things were going to get hot and heavy between the two so I took her down and got birth control for her. It was a patch she wore and changed once a week. I slept better at night.

It's reality and you have to face it whether you want to or not.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-08-2014, 11:46 AM
This particular bit always puzzles me. Most parents had sex when they where teenagers. How do they not understand their kids are going to have sex at that age too? Also, for that matter, what is wrong with sex? Get your sons and daughters to hook up with the smart kids, it might help their grades while they are fucking (and smart kids might be more likely to use protection too Thumbsup ).
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
08-08-2014, 12:14 PM
(08-08-2014 11:39 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  [SNIP]

I took her down and got birth control for her.

[SNIP]

Good parent!!

Father of three daughters here. They had very good sex education classes in high school in The Netherlands and Mum and I made sure that they knew the classes weren't to be considered simply as theoretical. They knew where the GP was and they knew they didn't have to ask for "approval".
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
08-08-2014, 12:39 PM
(08-08-2014 09:26 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I am fairly pro-life, but man these guys are wacky. Why would they not want to do everything possible to keep people from getting in the situation where an abortion has to be even considered. I am all for contraception up to and including emergency options. Basically anything that would prevent an abortion from even entering the discussion.

Because they want to use pregnancy and child-rearing as a control mechanism on women.

They are not 'pro-life.' They are 'anti-woman.'

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
08-08-2014, 12:46 PM
(08-08-2014 05:56 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  It's part of their narrative. One of the biggest concerns to them is that people (especially women) might have sex with whomever they want, whenever they want, on whatever terms they want. They hate that.

You can see this when you look at how they rank promiscuity with other problems in the world.
  • Come up with a vaccine to prevent HPV and reduce cervical cancer in woman? Nope! Promotes promiscuity! It's worse for women to have sex on their own terms than it is for them to get fucking cancer.
  • Pro lifers consider abortion murder. Want to use education and/or contraception to reduce unwanted pregnancies (the reason for abortions)? Nope! Leads to promiscuity! It's worse for women to have sex on their own terms than it is for babies to be murdered (at least how they word it).
  • Send condoms to Africa to help slow the spread of HIV? Nope! Promotes promiscuity! It's worse for women to have sex on their own terms than it is to let people get HIV. Also, for good measure, mix in some bullshit that HIV doesn't cause AIDS to help make this one easier to swallow.

Fuck these assholes. Their morality system is completely fucked.

The whole condoms in Africa thing is awful they actually spread rumors that they (condoms) help spread the disease and there's no proof its transmission is slowed at all....

Intellectually disingenuous doesn't even begin to cover it. Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-08-2014, 01:09 PM
(08-08-2014 09:26 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I am fairly pro-life...
[SNIP]

wazzel, a bit of a nit-pick, not with you, but with the terminology you used. I know it's used by others and it's more the use by others than your use that troubles me.

First, we're all "pro-life". It would be great if all embryos could grow into babies and be born into circumstances in which they would be safe, loved and well looked after. That would be ideal. Unfortunately, that isn't a possibility with every pregnancy.

Secondly, we're not "pro-abortion". You did not use this term, I most assuredly know. But others in the debate/shouting match have. We don't celebrate an abortion. It is a decision made by a woman, by herself or with the input of her partner, her friends, her family, her doctor... and it's a very difficult decision. Not one that's made lightly and not one without repercussions. A friend of mine got pregnant some years ago (disclosure: I was possibly the father) and decided to have an abortion. She agonised over the decision and then went forward with it. Afterwards, she suffered months of guilt and depression. Hugs and cuddles helped, but only so much. She suffered a personal agony...and a great deal of remorse. We guys can't even begin to imagine what it feels like.

I have talked to other women who chose to have an abortion and all of them have wondered (among other things) what that child would have been like as children, what they would have been today...

What we are is "pro-choice". It's that simple. A woman becomes pregnant, she has the choice as to whether to carry the baby to term.

It's not the father's choice. Let's face it, our contribution was a bit of sweating and noise making and calling on God some nine months before the birth. None of us have ever had to go through pregnancy and childbirth.

It's not the Church's choice. I don't care which church it is, it's not its choice.

wazzel, this is not a personal attack on you. You expressed your opinion clearly and eloquently. Nor did you use much of the terminology that I have used. I simply wanted to expand some of the points that are often attached to this sort of discussion. I sincerely hope you don't feel that I've attempted to run roughshod over you. That was not my intention.

It's simply that the anti-abortion side wants to claim the "pro-life" banner. And, yes, Minimalist, this is "anti-woman".
08-08-2014, 01:29 PM
(08-08-2014 01:09 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 09:26 AM)wazzel Wrote:  I am fairly pro-life...
[SNIP]

wazzel, a bit of a nit-pick, not with you, but with the terminology you used. I know it's used by others and it's more the use by others than your use that troubles me.

First, we're all "pro-life". It would be great if all embryos could grow into babies and be born into circumstances in which they would be safe, loved and well looked after. That would be ideal. Unfortunately, that isn't a possibility with every pregnancy.

Secondly, we're not "pro-abortion". You did not use this term, I most assuredly know. But others in the debate/shouting match have. We don't celebrate an abortion. It is a decision made by a woman, by herself or with the input of her partner, her friends, her family, her doctor... and it's a very difficult decision. Not one that's made lightly and not one without repercussions. A friend of mine got pregnant some years ago (disclosure: I was possibly the father) and decided to have an abortion. She agonised over the decision and then went forward with it. Afterwards, she suffered months of guilt and depression. Hugs and cuddles helped, but only so much. She suffered a personal agony...and a great deal of remorse. We guys can't even begin to imagine what it feels like.

I have talked to other women who chose to have an abortion and all of them have wondered (among other things) what that child would have been like as children, what they would have been today...

What we are is "pro-choice". It's that simple. A woman becomes pregnant, she has the choice as to whether to carry the baby to term.

It's not the father's choice. Let's face it, our contribution was a bit of sweating and noise making and calling on God some nine months before the birth. None of us have ever had to go through pregnancy and childbirth.

It's not the Church's choice. I don't care which church it is, it's not its choice.

wazzel, this is not a personal attack on you. You expressed your opinion clearly and eloquently. Nor did you use much of the terminology that I have used. I simply wanted to expand some of the points that are often attached to this sort of discussion. I sincerely hope you don't feel that I've attempted to run roughshod over you. That was not my intention.

It's simply that the anti-abortion side wants to claim the "pro-life" banner. And, yes, Minimalist, this is "anti-woman".
We're good. I understand what you are saying. I use "fairly pro-life" as more of a summary of my view on the whole thing since it is not so black and white. I have been told I am actually a pro choice person who choses that not having an abortion if at all possible is the correct choice instead of a pro-lifer since I have no interest in seeing most of the current abortion laws changed. I have some issues with some of the laws concerning minors, but that is minor-parent-healthcare thing.