Billy Graham's web site removed "cult" label from Mormonism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2012, 09:17 AM
RE: Billy Graham's web site removed "cult" label from Mormonism.
(17-10-2012 07:46 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(17-10-2012 07:03 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Perhaps you have missed all the "Hi. I'm Bob. I like to surf and eat hot dogs and I'm just a really regular guy. And I'm a Mormon." commercials that have been airing for the past four years. Coincidence? I don't think so. This has been the result of 4 years of subliminally brainwashing the people of America so they no longer think that Mormonism is strange. Which equals Romney for Pres. Preordained by the greatest ad campaign they could muster.

Yeah I missed it because i rarely watch TV and I live in Australia. That's interesting! Is the Mormon church funding this advertising? Is Bob actually Mitt....or some anonymous nice guy Mormon?

Why would the Republican machine have a Mormon as their main man? Isn't that going to piss off Protestants and Catholics? And atheists LOL

I have read that big corporations tend to support the Republican party. Are they buying the little man's vote by appealing to his religious prejudices?

Please make an allowance for us non Americans because most of us are interested. Thanks. ps I hope I haven't derailed Bucky's topic too much.

Sorry - I tend to think in my own little corner of the world at times. These ads have been running all over both TV and radio for the past 4 years. They don't ~seem~ to really promote Mormonism, but rather try to normalize it to the point that any Average Joe could accept it. The Mormons promoting a day of fasting for Romney is also a clue. It's been in the works for a long time - a PR machine built for one purpose only.

As for the main man being Mormon, they put in a good Catholic for the VP contender, so that should shut up the Catholics. The others? Well, SOL.

As for who the Republicans generally support, you'll have to ask someone else. I think politicians are all bags of dirt, so I don't pay much attention which con man is doing what and who is supporting which one. We have the radio on in the background every morning, and I couldn't escape those ads.

The Methodists ran TV ads off and on for a while, mostly during the gay-acceptance era. They would emphasize that they accepted everyone, and really didn't go much further. Haven't seen one in a while now. I haven't noticed any other religious advertising except the TV preachers.

As to the BG drivel, I suspect it's computer-generated answers/non-answers. Code word "pain" and it plugs in the response you cited. Not quite appropriate, but golly gee, isn't it nice that they answered personally?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2012, 10:35 PM
(17-10-2012 07:03 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(17-10-2012 05:17 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hey Bucky, thanks for posting this. You got me wondering about BG. I went to his website, and lifted the following unbelievably pathetic drivel from it. These are allegedly Billy's answers to questions...

"October 17: What good is God to me, if He won't relieve my pain?
Seek God's strength and comfort to sustain you in the face of chronic pain.

October 16: I'm sure people like you are sincere when you quote the Bible to support your views, but I think you can prove anything from the Bible if you try hard enough.
The Bible is God's word, which can be trusted.

October 15: When something bad happens to us, is it because we've done something wrong and God is punishing us for it?
God is compassionate, not a harsh policeman.

October 13: I know we're supposed to trust God when hard times come, but how can we keep trusting God when nothing seems to change?
Don't let your faith be overcome by your circumstances.

October 12: I don't think God created us; I think that we created God.
Science doesn't answer all of our questions.

October 11: Does life have any purpose?
Living only for ourselves is a dead-end road.

October 10: I don't know anything about God, but I'd like to learn if I can. Or is it too late (I'm in my 50s)?
It's never too late to learn about God.

October 9: Two doctors in our church are going to work for a month at a mission hospital in Africa, but I can't help but wonder if it's really worthwhile.
We are called by God to bring hope and healing wherever we can.

October 8: How much faith do I have to have before God will accept me?
God accepts us even if our faith is weak.

October 6: Recently, I read an interesting magazine article about the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls over half a century ago.
The Dead Sea Scrolls do not contradict the Bible.

October 5: How can I get my husband to believe in Jesus?
Pray that Christ will draw your husband to faith

October 4: Is it wrong to have doubts from time to time?
Face your doubts before they erode your faith.

October 3: Why should someone who lived 2,000 years ago make any difference to us today?
Our greatest need is to know God and do His will.

October 2: I don't believe that once I die there's going to be anything more.
Don't turn your back on God's promise of heaven.

October 1: Does God ever speak to people today in a voice they can hear, like He did in Bible times?
God speaks to us through the Bible.

September 29: How often should I pray?
Look on prayer as a privilege, not a burden.

September 28: I know you keep telling people to read their Bibles, and I've tried, but I don't get anything out of it.
Read small portions of the Bible each day.

September 27: My neighbor says that if I just have enough faith, then God will make me rich. Is she right?
God offers us many riches.

September 26: I suppose the Ten Commandments seemed like a good idea several thousand years ago, but time moves on, and we live in a different world.
The Ten Commandments are very up to date.

September 25: My parents always said there were two things you shouldn't talk about -- politics and religion.
Look to Jesus to learn what God is like."

What struck me is that this is the official website of probably the most prominent presbyterian in the world. Judging by the books, videos and lectures being promoted, it is a multi million dollar business. These "answers" wouldn't satisfy an eight year old! Their market is obviously unsophisticated, and of low IQ, and the people who run the business are catering to them. A lot like world championship wrestling.

And the possible future president of the USA is holding an audience with these clowns! (Billy and son).

Billy Graham has had the president's ear ever since the 1950's. He was in the White House on the night Bush senior cleaned up Kuwait. Is it safe to let him and Mitt mingle?

Mitt must be a bit mad if he's a Mormon. Billy is no doubt dreaming about the rapture. Call me Mr paranoid, but...these two mates make me nervous. Is Mitt another Bush junior? Or is he just wooing the hoi polloi?

Please tell me he's not going to get elected! Surely there aren't that many stupid people in the USA?

Perhaps you have missed all the "Hi. I'm Bob. I like to surf and eat hot dogs and I'm just a really regular guy. And I'm a Mormon." commercials that have been airing for the past four years. Coincidence? I don't think so. This has been the result of 4 years of subliminally brainwashing the people of America so they no longer think that Mormonism is strange. Which equals Romney for Pres. Preordained by the greatest ad campaign they could muster.

I see what you are talking about and I agree that it seems to be working with a fair amount of the population. As an atheist, I will not be voting for Romney. Personally I hate the guy. I feel he is just as fake as the rest of them, obama incloded. Assuming that most atheists are also not voting romney, why do you think we are immune to this sort of brainwashing?
18-10-2012, 08:42 AM
(17-10-2012 10:35 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(17-10-2012 07:03 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Perhaps you have missed all the "Hi. I'm Bob. I like to surf and eat hot dogs and I'm just a really regular guy. And I'm a Mormon." commercials that have been airing for the past four years. Coincidence? I don't think so. This has been the result of 4 years of subliminally brainwashing the people of America so they no longer think that Mormonism is strange. Which equals Romney for Pres. Preordained by the greatest ad campaign they could muster.

I see what you are talking about and I agree that it seems to be working with a fair amount of the population. As an atheist, I will not be voting for Romney. Personally I hate the guy. I feel he is just as fake as the rest of them, obama incloded. Assuming that most atheists are also not voting romney, why do you think we are immune to this sort of brainwashing?

I can only answer for myself. The mere mention of religion in any form makes me sit up and take notice, while I suspect others find it commonplace, non-irritating, and in-sync with their (general) beliefs. I have one co-worker, and we listen to the same radio show. I hear these ads, he doesn't. We're more attuned to notice the unusual that the usual, and religion for him is usual. It makes me clench my teeth - it doesn't even register with him. And yeah, he's leaning towards Romney - due in large part to the fact that he's racially biased, but the Mormon stuff doesn't scare him at all.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?