Billy Joel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2015, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2015 09:21 AM by nerwin.)
Billy Joel
I've always loved Billy Joel's music and not because he's an atheist..but today I was really listening to some of his lyrics and there are some bits where he mocks religion (in my opinion) but the way he sings it, it doesn't seem so.

In the song Pressure -
"Now here you are with your faith
And your Peter Pan advice"

Only The Good Die Young - Probably his most anti-religious song, haha.
"Well they showed you a statue-
Told you to pray.
They built you a temple and locked you away.
Ah! But they never told you the price that you'd pay.
For things that you might have done..."

"And they say there's a Heaven,
For those who will wait.
Some say it's better,
But I say it ain't!
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.

The sinners are much more fun..."

I'm sure there are many more.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nerwin's post
24-01-2015, 09:18 AM
RE: Billy Joel
(24-01-2015 08:57 AM)nerwin Wrote:  I've always loved Billy Joel's music and not because he's an atheist..but today I was really listening to some of his lyrics and there are some bits where he mocks religion (in my opinion) but the way he sings it, it doesn't seem so.

In the song Pressure -
"Now here you are with your faith
And your Peter Pan advice"

Only The Good Die Young -
"Well they showed you a statue-
Told you to pray.
They built you a temple and locked you away.
Ah! But they never told you the price that you'd pay.
For things that you might have done..."

I'm sure there are many more.

I like him too, and yep, definitely atheist.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Billy Joel is an almost guilty pleasure of mine.

He's a little more cool than my other truly guilty pleasures.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-01-2015, 12:39 PM
(24-01-2015 12:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Billy Joel is an almost guilty pleasure of mine.

He's a little more cool than my other truly guilty pleasures.

No no no.

A guilty pleasure is admiting you like "One Direction". Urrrghhh...

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
24-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Way back in the day - before internet access and such - I sat in a local restaurant/diner during a slow afternoon and played 'Piano Man' over and over on the juke box so I could write down the lyrics. The only place in town that sold records (yeah - fuck ya'll - records) didn't see fit to stock Billy Joel.

I really like some of his older stuff, not as big a fan of newer things though I appreciate his talent.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
24-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Can't say I'm a huge fan but I respect his craft and talent.

"We Didn't Start The Fire" is not too shabby....

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
24-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Billy Joel, in my opinion, is a brilliant and gifted singer/songwriter, who sometimes writes truly masterful songs and sometimes writes stuff that came from somewhere like "oh, I have to have TEN songs on the album?".. but I am a very long-time fan, and as a pianist myself, find his music inspiring and incredibly fun to play - I have many Billy Joel songs in my repertoire (a shameless self-endorsement). Anjele: when I read your post, I thought you were going to talk about one of my favorites "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" - now THAT would be awesome, to sit in an old Italian dive all afternoon listening to great music... and eating and drinking of course... **SIGH**
24-01-2015, 07:21 PM
I forgot to mention that when I moved out of my parent's home and they could no longer tell me I wasn't allowed to go to rock concerts, the very first one I went to was Billy Joel. It was truly amazing!
24-01-2015, 08:40 PM
I'm glad others like Billy Joel's music. I thought liking Billy Joel was not a cool thing to admit so I've kept it to myself for years. But now...... I find I'm not alone. I have company.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-01-2015, 09:32 PM
(24-01-2015 08:40 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm glad others like Billy Joel's music. I thought liking Billy Joel was not a cool thing to admit so I've kept it to myself for years. But now...... I find I'm not alone. I have company.

You're not alone. Haha.

I went to school for computer networking and sometimes we would be working in the server room and we'd have billy joel cranking and singing along. Ahhhh good times.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.