Billy Ray Cyrus Equates Atheists With Satan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2011, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2011 08:44 AM by TheSixthGlass.)
Billy Ray Cyrus Equates Atheists With Satan
In a new interview in GQ magazine, Billy Ray Cyrus talks about all kinds of stuff: his daughter, his career, and then, this little gem:

Quote:And then there's God.

"Somewhere along this journey," he says, "both mine and Miley's faith has been shaken. That saddens me the most." When they first came to Hollywood for Hannah Montana, the two of them would drive down the freeway together to the studio each morning, and every day Miley would point out the sign that said

ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY
ATHEISTS UNITED

Just before moving out to Los Angeles, the whole family had been baptized together by their pastor at the People's Church in Franklin, Tennessee. "It was Tish's idea," he remembers. "She said, 'We're going to be under attack, and we have to be strong in our faith and we're all going to be baptized...'" And there, driving to work each day in the City of Angels, was this sign. "A physical sign. It could have easily said 'You will now be attacked by Satan.' 'Entering this industry, you are now on the highway to darkness...'"

Do you really see it in such clearly spiritual terms—that your family was under attack by Satan?

"I think we are right now. No doubt. There's no doubt about it."

And why is that happening?

"It's the way it is. There has always been a battle between good and evil. Always will be. You think, 'This is a chance to make family entertainment, bring families together...' and look what it's turned into."

Here's a link if anyone actually wants to read it. http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrit...rentPage=1 The text I quoted begins on page 5.

Not that I really care about what this guy thinks or his stupidity and ignorance, but I used to pass the church he mentions on my way to work. And it's a big popular church (naturally, if a country star is an attendee). My point is this is the kind of mentality that I'm surrounded by in this state - some atheist group adopts part of a highway and it's a personal sign to you that Satan is attacking.

I'm dumbfounded.

Also of note is the way these Christians can use Satan as an excuse to get away from personal responsibility. "Well I tried, but gosh, the Debbil was against me." Doesn't say all that much for your god either, does it?[/quote]

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2011, 10:25 AM
RE: Billy Ray Cyrus Equates Atheists With Satan
(16-02-2011 08:35 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Also of note is the way these Christians can use Satan as an excuse to get away from personal responsibility. "Well I tried, but gosh, the Debbil was against me." Doesn't say all that much for your god either, does it?
[/quote]

I know a person who was talking about paeans and goths, and how they believe in a spirit of nature or what not. In passing he referred to that as Satan worship.

It's common. If you believe in their god they are your best buddy. If you dare question him with logic and reason, you are befuddled by SATAN!! LIke the church lady or something. lol.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't see that as him equating atheists with Satan. If you are a Christian, a good Christian with as open a mind as possible, you will worry about your fellow man including atheists. He could be saying that Hollywood is under the control of the devil, and so many have "lost their way."

The guy's wife cheated on him with Brett Michaels for crying out loud, and his daughter has turned into a hoochy. If any Christian has the right to think Satan has attacked his community, it's that guy.
16-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Hey, TheSixthGlass.

I think you're overreacting to the quote. Sounds to me more like a regret-filled father who knew that he was getting into a cesspool of a city/industry but did it anyway and watched as his family disintegrated. Perhaps you should consider his humanity before you call him a stupid ignoramous.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
16-02-2011, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2011 11:32 AM by TheSixthGlass.)
Oh don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for the guy. He's obviously made some mistakes and regrets them, and is feeling lonely and lost (although the interview itself is around 3 months old, but just now being published, so things may be better for him now).

Upon re-reading that section I quoted, I correct myself - it does not appear that he directly relates the two. However, the article is edited that way. They write the bit about the Adopt A Highway sign, then head straight into baptisms and Satan. I think I fell into the sensationalism, and I apologize for that (and recycling the sensationalism with my thread title). I should probably finish my coffee before creating new threads. Smile

However, as previously noted, he does make the claim that Satan has attacked his family (and, by extension, has succeeded in at the very least doing damage to him). Now, I understand that's his belief system. I understand his frame of reference. But there also seems to be some blame shifting going on here - "bad things happened, therefore Satan." It just seems to me (though obviously, pure speculation) that you could flip the coin and wonder if he made so many bad decisions, or didn't do certain things, based on some misguided faith that God was working through him and/or his daughter. To me, this section of the article exemplifies the pitfalls of having faith - you begin to shift the responsibility of your actions (or inactions) to unseen, supernatural forces.
(16-02-2011 10:30 AM)gamutman Wrote:  I don't see that as him equating atheists with Satan. If you are a Christian, a good Christian with as open a mind as possible, you will worry about your fellow man including atheists. He could be saying that Hollywood is under the control of the devil, and so many have "lost their way."

The guy's wife cheated on him with Brett Michaels for crying out loud, and his daughter has turned into a hoochy. If any Christian has the right to think Satan has attacked his community, it's that guy.
Ha, true. Like I said, a part of me understands where he's coming from. And obviously if you're Christian, that's where your mind goes.

(16-02-2011 10:35 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, TheSixthGlass.

I think you're overreacting to the quote. Sounds to me more like a regret-filled father who knew that he was getting into a cesspool of a city/industry but did it anyway and watched as his family disintegrated. Perhaps you should consider his humanity before you call him a stupid ignoramous.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
I may have overreacted, and again, apologies. But I don't think I called him stupid exactly - just made a comment on this particular bit of stupidity. Again, I feel sorry for the guy on some levels, but upon reading the whole article, and like you said, it seems he saw what was happening and didn't do much of anything to stop it (at least where his daughter was concerned). Plus it's not exactly like the guy was a stranger to the limelight. I do hope things work out for them (well, as much as I can hope for people whom I don't know on any personal level).
Also, if anyone would like to change the thread title to something like "Billy Ray Believes Satan Has Attacked Him" or something more accurate then feel free to do so. I don't think I can.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
16-02-2011, 12:48 PM
That's fine, since I equate him and his daughter's music with nails on a chalkboard. Never before has an entire family ruined music so completely.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
16-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Ha, ok so I'm going to go wishy washy here, but I'm reading this thing again - and he's equating the sign with evil, at the very least. The fact is, it's an Adopt A Highway sign sponsored by a group called Atheists United. And his quote:

Quote:And there, driving to work each day in the City of Angels, was this sign. "A physical sign. It could have easily said 'You will now be attacked by Satan.' 'Entering this industry, you are now on the highway to darkness...'"

Again, I know what the guy's frame of mind is (as a believer), but is this not a huge overreaction to a simply "sponsored by" sign?

Buddy Christ Wrote:That's fine, since I equate him and his daughter's music with nails on a chalkboard. Never before has an entire family ruined music so completely.
Oh don't tell me you're not nodding your head like yeah right now.[/quote]

17-02-2011, 01:42 AM
(16-02-2011 10:30 AM)gamutman Wrote:  The guy's wife cheated on him with Brett Michaels for crying out loud, and his daughter has turned into a hoochy. If any Christian has the right to think Satan has attacked his community, it's that guy.

Actually, if he went to a good therapist instead of church he might have found the answer to the problem that alienated him from his wife and daughter. I don't feel sorry for him. His "good christian ways" aren't anywhere near as good as he claims they are. F&%$ing JERK.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
17-02-2011, 04:00 AM
I think this is one of the cases where he's using his faith to make up for his poor life choices - I don't like this, apologize to your family first , god second.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
17-02-2011, 06:52 AM

He was in the music industry, he's on TV I think (some show called "Doc" or something) so he should have known better then to shove his daughter into it and not foresee this as a possibility.

I read a bit of his interview on msn, he states that he never "commissioned a dollar" from his daughter, I wonder if that is true or not. He could be a hypocrite for all we know trying to make a sad story about his life for publicity (or not, he could be a good guy).

I watched Miley's movie and thought it wasn't bad- much better then her singing is anyways! I really hope that she doesn't go down the same path as Lindsey Lowhan, that is just sad.
Quote this message in a reply