Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2011, 09:09 AM

RE: Billy Ray Cyrus Equates Atheists With Satan
Don't Satanists get offended by this?
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Sadly Billy Ray Cyrus went to my college. He was too stupid to graduate though. Trust me this place doesn't make people stupid in fact I was a christian before coming here and now I am an atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey, The Sixth Glass.

I don't think saying he's under attack from Satan is a shifting of responsibility. Satan is simply temptation. The attack is not what causes damage. Allowing him in is what causes the damage. It's in submitting to temptation that allows the attack to succeed. All he's saying is that he allowed that temptation in and it destroyed his family.

Hey, Free Thinker.

Quote:He could be a hypocrite for all we know trying to make a sad story about his life for publicity (or not, he could be a good guy).

That's Glen Beck worthy.

You could be a cannibal and a human trafficker for all we know (or not, I don't know).

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
19-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I actually agree with Ghost on this. I don't see what he said as being any big deal and I took it more as a man trying to make sense of what has happened to his life.

In a similar vein, has anyone followed the Justin Bieber "controversy"? The thing that pisses me off the most about it is I hate even being aware that this kid exists. I'm not his audience and while I don't begrudge him making a living singing or wetting the draws of 13 year old girls, I'd have been much happier if he did it completely outside my sphere of notice. But, since it has managed to work its way into my scope of knowledge, all I can now say is "what the hell is wrong with people?"

Is it such a tragedy that this kid has an opinion that does not account for every potential victim on the planet and is based on his religious convictions? And, what did he do that was so awful? He answered a question. And, the question was not anything about him being any kind of role model: someone asked him about abortion and he gave his view. Ignoring the question of why this is even news, why can't the kid just have his opinion? He's not sitting on the steps of a government legislative body demanding his view be law, he is a 16 year old kid who responded to a question with an honest opinion.

People really need to get a grip. And, if anything, I've now got respect for the little twerp for standing up for what he believes in. I'd still rather be dipped in honey and tied to an anthill then listen to his music though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
19-02-2011, 05:07 PM

(19-02-2011 12:04 PM)BnW Wrote:  In a similar vein, has anyone followed the Justin Bieber "controversy"?

I had no idea what you were talking about so I did a quick google.

"What do you think of abortion?" Way to put a 16 year old on the spot... he probably never even thought about it before (especially considering how busy he must be!) Words got scrambled in his brain and it just didn't come out right. OBVIOUSLY he didn't intend to say that [rape] "happens for a reason."

His comments on the US were pretty STUPID though I must say. As a Canadian (and I didn't even know he was Canadian until a few months ago) I would never say something like that to our nextdoor neighbors, regardless if it is true. He should realize that if he was confined to performing and selling CDs only in Canada, he would not be set for life. DUH!
20-02-2011, 12:48 AM
(17-02-2011 11:04 AM)Ghost Wrote:  I don't think saying he's under attack from Satan is a shifting of responsibility. Satan is simply temptation.

Many christians think that satan is a real living being. Also, everyone is tempted. Billy Ray Cyrus is blaming others for his problems and not taking responsibility for his actions. That is very obvious from post 1.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
20-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Hey, No. J.

I don't see how he's not taking responsibility.

Quote:Do you wish Hannah Montana had never happened?

"I hate to say it, but yes, I do. Yeah. I'd take it back in a second. For my family to be here and just be everybody okay, safe and sound and happy and normal, would have been fantastic. Heck, yeah. I'd erase it all in a second if I could."

Sounds like he regrets a decision HE made.

As for Bieber, good God damn people will sensationalise anything.

Justin Bieber had probably the best answer that anyone could have given and an answer that most people are incapable of.
Quote: I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that.

Anyone who is shitting on him is an absolute moron. This kid is more enlightened at 16 than any of these vulture pundits ever will be. They could form a gang and they still wouldn't be able to grasp how wise one needs to be to admit that whatever one might think of a situation, one cannot judge it unless they have walked a mile in those people's shoes and how utterly idiotic they look condemning a boy incapable of condemning other people.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
20-02-2011, 03:29 AM

I'll be honest, I only read the title of the thread before chuckling. I don't really have anything to contribute other than my belief that Billy Ray Cyrus is and has always been an idiot, and that his daughter is on a path to becoming the next Lindsay Lohan.
20-02-2011, 05:42 PM
(20-02-2011 01:34 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, No. J. -I don't see how he's not taking responsibility.

Refering to the idea that there has always been a battle between good and evil. This is not an acceptance of one's own faults but is passing blame. Also, what does pointing out a sign saying "Atheists United" have anything to do with him accepting responsibility for his actions? Absolutely nothing. So, I don't see how he is taking any responsibility for his actions. If he were he would not have mentioned either point that I have just stated.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
21-02-2011, 09:13 AM
First off, again, I understand that this guy is trying to make sense of his life and his situation. I understand that because he is religious, he is attempting to make sense of it through his religious framework. I also agree that at the very least, he is not shifting the entire responsibility to an unseen agent of evil (Satan). But part of the reason this article intrigued me was not so much the person specifically (Cyrus) but the effect of religious faith on such a person.

Obviously it is complete and utter speculation, but again I'm wondering if this guy would have made better decisions and put in more effort to be a better parent if he was minus the religious belief. Believers such as Cyrus, when faced with a decision such as "do I move my family to Hollywood and allow my pre-teen daughter to star in her own Disney show," would most likely pray and seek God or the Holy Spirit's guidance. Upon thinking such a decision was "in God's hands," then you're going to "feel" something was right (or maybe wrong). At that point, would this belief that someone else was basically in control cause you to be less attentive? Less focused? And then if things don't work out you can feel at least a little better thinking that the forces of evil were against you, perhaps you were deceived, et cetera. I'm not blaming the guy, I just think such mentality is unfortunate and ultimately detrimental.

And the other part, the part that raised my ire a bit (but perhaps undeservedly so) was the part about the sign. This sign was not even one of the big billboards or part of some specific atheist awareness campaign. It was not a direct challenge to anyone's faith or religion (ie - the American Atheists' "You KNOW it's just a myth"), this was just an Adopt a Highway sign that was sponsored by an atheist group. And his mental reaction is not even "oh those poor lost people" or "I feel sorry for them (atheists)" it was: "It could have easily said 'You will now be attacked by Satan.' 'Entering this industry, you are now on the highway to darkness...'" Again, maybe it's simply edited to give it more punch, but it seems pretty obvious that the guy is equating this silly sponsored by sign as a message from the dark side.

My point is, based on his religious framework, I get it, but I still think it's utterly ridiculous. And as far as considering his humanity, I am, and that's my point. Humanity should not be subject to this belief that we're all pawns in some cosmic game of good vs. evil.

Also, anyone who had a mullet and sang a single like Achy Breaky Heart has no humanity left anyways. ZING! Tongue

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.