Bio Engineering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Bio Engineering
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovV7v2XYJAI

This is a video on ethics but it highlights the technological achievements of bio-engineering. I myself am excited as to how we could clone spare organs , bring back extinct animals and possibly feed our absurd population.Still , I do believe the monopoly of companies like Monsanto has to go , and go for good.

What are your thoughts ? Does this excite you or creep you out ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2011, 07:07 PM
RE: Bio Engineering
Excites me! I can't watch youtube, but genetic and bio engineering are fields I want to get into.
25-03-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm doing a project on stem cell research for school (not University/college, so not that impressive), so I have looked into this a little.
I would definitely agree that monsanto should go considering they control 75+% of the market worldwide. I don't know that we have to clone organs, there are numerous examples of hearts, bladders, livers and various other organs simply being grown using autologous (from the patient) stem cells, although this is mostly done on rats and mice - but still, fully functioning hearts!
I would say this really does excite me, but it annoys me that just about everyone I know here in New Zealand thinks genetic engineering and cloning and stem cell research are wrong, without knowing a bit about them - they say it just creeps them out.

EDIT: The hearts are grown in a lab, not in an animal, so we don't have to kill pigs to harvest organs for humans.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
25-03-2011, 06:29 AM
I does creep me out a bit, but thats just because I didn't spent enough time exploring it. What I know now is enough for me to support this kind of science. In a couple of years I will go on a heart surgery and change my heart valves. The options I have today is either pig valves (pig dies, of course), or mechanical ones. In every case I will have to drink some kind of pills for the rest of my life. If they could create valves from my stem cells, I wouldn't have to worry about my body refusing foreign tissue and me dieing in the middle of the street if I lose/forget my pills. Or would I even have to take any pills. Or listen to mechanical valves making sound whole day long...

I'll pray for the science...

NOT!

I'll just hope they continue to research that field of medicine and come up with something before my time for surgery.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-03-2011, 06:53 AM
I'm waiting on the genital research. I can wait a while for fully functional replacements I'm still young. Would be a much better fix for me than the cosmetic surgery.

Stem cells have been going fast for a while. It's a tool which is only beginning to be understood, but at the same time is proving amazingly useful.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
25-03-2011, 07:24 AM
@daemonowner
Yeah , I did see documentaries of organs being grown in the lab so cloning may not be necessary for humans.Still , maybe we could bring back the species we so recklessly made extinct.

@Filox
Well , they could grow you new valves in a lab using just your own tissue samples but if you had a genetic defect it will only postpone the condition.And to get your cells they'll probably have to do a biopsy still , look into it, there are not better cells than your own.
Hope your health improves.

Well , they did manage a lot in bio-engineering but I like the cybernetics.There was a National Geographic documentary when I was in High-school.They took 3000 neurons from a lab-rat's frontal cortex , put them in a petri dish and hooked them up to a flight simulator.After several tries the neurons were capable of flying a simulated fighter jet in the worst possible conditions and land it perfectly safely.

So , question still lingers , are we becoming the Borg ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
25-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Can't watch youtube, left my headphones to city... Dodgy

Some Danish show with an annoying female host mentioned some environmental issues with the increased consuming of meat.

They had genetically modified salmons that need 80% less food to grow as much as a normal salmon and tastes just about the same. Farming them near waters would be incredibly stupid, since it only needs 1 escaper to ruin a natural salmon population (the modified salmons can mate with normal salmons, and also eat normal salmons [yes, they're cannibals{*hippie shit pants*}]). But genetically modified fish raised in dry land where they can't get to natural waters if something goes wrong would be a great step towards solving the over-fishing problem.
But the second thing they presented really caught my attention: growing meat without using animals (''in vitro meat''). Basically they have cells from an animal and proteins that make the meat grow in a big ''canister''. At some point of the process, they'll be moved to another ''canister'' with something that the muscle cells attach to it (artificial bone?) and grow into muscle fiber. That of course isn't all, it's a quite complicated process that I don't know much about yet. They said that there's already a patent for this kind of a production way, and that they'll be able to get some to the consumers in a few years.
Quote:They took 3000 neurons from a lab-rat's frontal cortex , put them in a petri dish and hooked them up to a flight simulator.After several tries the neurons were capable of flying a simulated fighter jet in the worst possible conditions and land it perfectly safely.
When I heard of this I couldn't help laughing in joy!

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
25-03-2011, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2011 02:06 PM by daemonowner.)
(25-03-2011 07:24 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Yeah , I did see documentaries of organs being grown in the lab so cloning may not be necessary for humans.Still , maybe we could bring back the species we so recklessly made extinct.

Thats a good idea, but it may lead to further poaching and other problems though.. Sad

(25-03-2011 07:24 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  They took 3000 neurons from a lab-rat's frontal cortex , put them in a petri dish and hooked them up to a flight simulator.After several tries the neurons were capable of flying a simulated fighter jet in the worst possible conditions and land it perfectly safely.

Holy shit! I want a reference on that.

And also, who thinks it would be immoral to alter human DNA to fix things like hereditary mutations that cause cancer or the Vitamin C gene?

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

25-03-2011, 03:55 PM
I think that it's a bit dangerous to alter DNA since if we're all made the same a new disease could wipe us all out. Defects are often reasons people survive epidemics. If we became to similar then we would be in serious danger if a disease hit something genetically modified. It would be nice to remove things that are undesirable but it's very likely to have serious issues you can't see for quite a while.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
25-03-2011, 05:34 PM
(25-03-2011 03:55 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I think that it's a bit dangerous to alter DNA since if we're all made the same a new disease could wipe us all out. Defects are often reasons people survive epidemics. If we became to similar then we would be in serious danger if a disease hit something genetically modified. It would be nice to remove things that are undesirable but it's very likely to have serious issues you can't see for quite a while.

I wasn't talking about altering human zygote genes to make them very similar, just altering a few genes that we know shouldn't be mutated or, like the vitamin C gene, could be improved. The ordinary processes that create variation within a population, like recombination in cell division, would create enough variation to not get us all killed by a disease, but we would have benefited from some fixed genes. And of course, we wouldn't just alter our DNA willy-nilly, tests are a must.
The thought just occured to me, what if we could remove the extra copy(s) of chromosomes that cause problems like downs syndrome?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  USA Science & Engineering Festival April 23-27, 2014 Bows and Arrows 0 189 10-07-2013 11:54 AM
Last Post: Bows and Arrows
  Landing of The Mars Curiosity Rover My Engineering and Scientific Highlight for 2012 Endurance Swimmer 1 337 11-04-2013 06:39 PM
Last Post: F.A.C.T.
  Genetic Engineering Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day 27 1,253 28-01-2013 11:55 AM
Last Post: Vosur
  Genetic Engineering and a possible Big Pharma daemonowner 13 774 14-03-2011 12:37 PM
Last Post: Cdf50