Biology Teacher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Biology Teacher
thought this was kind of funny.

My Biology teacher is an extremely orthodox Catholic, who likes to show how Catholic Doctrine is justified via Biology.

The only book we are required to read (we don't even have a textbook), for our Intro to Biology course, is "Curious Naturalists" by Niko Tinbergen, who, incidentally, was Dawkins doctorate professor.
I find it funny because my teacher hates Dawkins.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 09:36 PM
RE: Biology Teacher
(09-12-2013 09:25 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  thought this was kind of funny.

My Biology teacher is an extremely orthodox Catholic, who likes to show how Catholic Doctrine is justified via Biology.

The only book we are required to read (we don't even have a textbook), for our Intro to Biology course, is "Curious Naturalists" by Niko Tinbergen, who, incidentally, was Dawkins doctorate professor.

I sure hope you're not paying any tuition for all that crap.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
09-12-2013, 10:13 PM
(09-12-2013 09:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 09:25 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  thought this was kind of funny.

I sure hope you're not paying any tuition for all that crap.

I am but it is half of what I would pay at a normal university. And he is a great teacher. He teaches Biology at Trent University in Peterborough and he has great ratings on rate my teacher.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
09-12-2013, 10:26 PM
(09-12-2013 10:13 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 09:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I sure hope you're not paying any tuition for all that crap.
I am but it is half of what I would pay at a normal university.

There just might be a good reason for that....Dodgy

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-12-2013, 11:02 PM
(09-12-2013 10:26 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 10:13 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I am but it is half of what I would pay at a normal university.

There just might be a good reason for that....Dodgy

Yes because the teachers sacrifice part of their pay so that the students are able to afford to go to a school that isn't covered by student loans. In terms of Education, My friend almost failed half the classes here, went to UPEI and managed to get a 90's in his liberal arts classes.

As I said My Biology teacher teaches at a decent university here in Canada. Not to mention our History teacher is the former British ambassador to Jordan.

- my friend Marc
10-12-2013, 01:07 AM
Google is misbehaving itself. I must ask: what is Curious Naturalists about? Is it something that even vaguely resembles a text book? I mean, it sounds like there is a unique set-up going on there, but it seems a bit strange that people could get a biology credit like this.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
10-12-2013, 04:16 AM
(10-12-2013 01:07 AM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Google is misbehaving itself. I must ask: what is Curious Naturalists about? Is it something that even vaguely resembles a text book? I mean, it sounds like there is a unique set-up going on there, but it seems a bit strange that people could get a biology credit like this.

My teacher is very unorthodox in his teaching style. He really dislikes textbooks and thinks of them to just be a waste of paper. Instead what we do is read scientific journals and we sit around and talk about what we found. We do several labs and a plant collection. I've heard his labs are a lot harder than a lot of other universities, especially for a beginners course, since at most universities they give you a template and you just put in the information. He just tells you to read some journals and then figure it out on your own.

Also it is just Intro to Biology which is a 100 level course so it is pretty basic.

The book "Curious Naturalists" is about Niko Tibergen, who is an entomologist like my teacher, and it just talks about the various experiments he did in observational biology. It's a great book, since it is both entertaining and gives you an idea on how to do proper field biology.

- my friend Marc