"Biology for Christian Schools"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2016, 09:51 PM
"Biology for Christian Schools"
So I'm staying at my mom's house for a couple of days. She's very religious, as I was until college, and she's held on to a lot of the books that I used during my education in homeschooling and then in Christian private school. Having just finished listening to Seth's podcast on religious homeschool cults, I decided to take a look at my own textbooks and see if any of them were of the ilk that was discussed there. Lo and behold, I've stumbled upon the 2005 edition of "Biology for Christian Schools" from none other than Bob Jones University Press, which I used in my freshman year biology class, and I thought it might be interesting to get your feedback on a few of the more...opinionated passages. All emphasis mine, unless otherwise noted.
First: from Chapter 8, "The History of Life"
"The Bible has much to say about Creation, and one of the Christian's greatest privileges in science is to seek God's thoughts on the subject. Some Christians, however seem to care more about what the Bible does not say regarding Creation than about what it does say. They prefer to discuss such trivia as "Dinosaurs are not mentioned in the Bible" and "The Bible does not specifically state where Cain got his wife." It is far more important to have a thoroughly Christian worldview of Creation and biological history than to be concerned about things God did not choose to tell us. "
From Chapter 3, "Introduction to Cells"
"Sometimes unicellular or colonial organisms are referred to as "first" or "early" organisms. Use of these terms should alert the reader that the writer may be writing from an evolutionary perspective, implying that the more complex organisms developed later as the "early" organisms evolved. However, these terms are not correct since all life was created during the week of Creation."
Last for the moment: from Chapter 1, "The Science of Life and the God of Life"
"Science is often portrayed as having "all the answers." Although science cannot supply all answers and the answers it currently provides may need to be reevaluated as more information is obtained, science can and does supply workable answers. This belief may cause some people to place their faith in science rather than in God. They look to science for all the answers, but it is impossible for science to supply them. Science supplies information to solve physical problems. Man's real problem cannot be answered be science: man is guilty because of sin and in need of salvation from an eternity in hell. Only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and the salvation that He offers can solve man's sin problem."
This type of information was the basis for what we were taught and tested on; I got a 103 in the course but realized when I got to university and tried to pursue a pre-med track that I knew virtually nothing about science. I'll post more excerpts if anybody find them interesting or worth reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2016, 12:07 AM
RE: "Biology for Christian Schools"
(23-04-2016 09:51 PM)debna27 Wrote:  So I'm staying at my mom's house for a couple of days. She's very religious, as I was until college, and she's held on to a lot of the books that I used during my education in homeschooling and then in Christian private school. Having just finished listening to Seth's podcast on religious homeschool cults, I decided to take a look at my own textbooks and see if any of them were of the ilk that was discussed there. Lo and behold, I've stumbled upon the 2005 edition of "Biology for Christian Schools" from none other than Bob Jones University Press, which I used in my freshman year biology class, and I thought it might be interesting to get your feedback on a few of the more...opinionated passages. All emphasis mine, unless otherwise noted.
First: from Chapter 8, "The History of Life"
"The Bible has much to say about Creation, and one of the Christian's greatest privileges in science is to seek God's thoughts on the subject. Some Christians, however seem to care more about what the Bible does not say regarding Creation than about what it does say. They prefer to discuss such trivia as "Dinosaurs are not mentioned in the Bible" and "The Bible does not specifically state where Cain got his wife." It is far more important to have a thoroughly Christian worldview of Creation and biological history than to be concerned about things God did not choose to tell us. "
From Chapter 3, "Introduction to Cells"
"Sometimes unicellular or colonial organisms are referred to as "first" or "early" organisms. Use of these terms should alert the reader that the writer may be writing from an evolutionary perspective, implying that the more complex organisms developed later as the "early" organisms evolved. However, these terms are not correct since all life was created during the week of Creation."
Last for the moment: from Chapter 1, "The Science of Life and the God of Life"
"Science is often portrayed as having "all the answers." Although science cannot supply all answers and the answers it currently provides may need to be reevaluated as more information is obtained, science can and does supply workable answers. This belief may cause some people to place their faith in science rather than in God. They look to science for all the answers, but it is impossible for science to supply them. Science supplies information to solve physical problems. Man's real problem cannot be answered be science: man is guilty because of sin and in need of salvation from an eternity in hell. Only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and the salvation that He offers can solve man's sin problem."
This type of information was the basis for what we were taught and tested on; I got a 103 in the course but realized when I got to university and tried to pursue a pre-med track that I knew virtually nothing about science. I'll post more excerpts if anybody find them interesting or worth reading.

The fact that they pair some of these sentences with the word Science is frustrating. Basically just says "See all this science? Yeah God and the bible says it's bad so ignore it. Just know God created us and accept Jesus and you will be alright." Also want to point out science is never portrayed as having all the answers except by people who don't understand science. Science is an attempt to explain and understand things through vigerous research and experimentation.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
24-04-2016, 12:11 AM
Considering the book title excerpts you posted aren't surprising. Idiotic, yes, but that too could be expected.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
24-04-2016, 03:38 AM
(23-04-2016 09:51 PM)debna27 Wrote:  "It is far more important to have a thoroughly Christian worldview of Creation and biological history than to be concerned about things God did not choose to tell us."

"these terms are not correct since all life was created during the week of Creation."

"Man's real problem cannot be answered be science: man is guilty because of sin and in need of salvation from an eternity in hell. Only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and the salvation that He offers can solve man's sin problem."

Each of these statements is classic non sequitur; a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.

"It is far more important...". Unsupported by evidence. Opinion only.
"All life was created...". Empirical biological evidence contradictory.
"Man is guilty of sin...". Meaningless, nonsensical notion.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
24-04-2016, 08:12 PM
There are too many errors, inaccuracies and just plain lies in that load of BS to list. You have my sincerest condolences. The first warning should be the title, which is a big warning that anybody being taught from this book isn't getting the biology that everybody else is. A text that purports to be on the science of biology but then rejects science for faith is just mind-bogglingly wrong from the outset.

If you're still interested in pursuing a pre-med program you ought to be able to pick up the science if you want to. Most of the first year courses are just levelling courses that frequently don't add much to the grade 12 curriculum. It'll cost you some skull sweat but with a good text and some help you could probably it up.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
24-04-2016, 09:00 PM
(23-04-2016 09:51 PM)debna27 Wrote:  Lo and behold, I've stumbled upon the 2005 edition of "Biology for Christian Schools" from none other than Jim Jones University Press

Fixed.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
25-04-2016, 04:08 AM
So you're saying that you want to study medicine and yet the purported school science courses you were taught provided you with no relevant science?

Somebody's making a lot of money out of gullible people like your mother and in return kids are being lied to about science and indoctrinated with useless or erroneous information.

Sounds legit. Consider

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
25-04-2016, 06:46 AM
(24-04-2016 08:12 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  There are too many errors, inaccuracies and just plain lies in that load of BS to list. You have my sincerest condolences. The first warning should be the title, which is a big warning that anybody being taught from this book isn't getting the biology that everybody else is. A text that purports to be on the science of biology but then rejects science for faith is just mind-bogglingly wrong from the outset.

If you're still interested in pursuing a pre-med program you ought to be able to pick up the science if you want to. Most of the first year courses are just levelling courses that frequently don't add much to the grade 12 curriculum. It'll cost you some skull sweat but with a good text and some help you could probably it up.

Thanks for the feedback. I've since given up on medicine. I tried to slog through it for two years, volunteered in a hospital in addition to taking all the required courses, but I was so frustrated with trying to learn/relearn nearly everything to do with basic science in a very competitive environment (while simultaneously dealing with the psychological ramifications of realizing just how thoroughly I had been lied to growing up) that I eventually dropped it and went with English and philosophy instead. Very different, still difficult, but something that I both flourished in and actually enjoyed. I can't say that I would have been more capable of success in the sciences had I actually been taught them properly from the get-go, but maybe I would have figured out that they weren't for me earlier on. It's all speculation; I just know that the sort of bullshit I was taught is not adequate preparation for college-level science (unless you're going to Bob Jones itself or Liberty University or something like that, which kinda doesn't count as "college-level science" anyway) and it's a travesty that it's been marketed as such.
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
27-04-2016, 09:38 AM
That sounds like Bob Jones University Press alright...heh. I'm sorry you were taught all those things and had to relearn from basics. Sad And heh, funny you mention Liberty at the end...from what I understand, they have at least two GNED courses where you have to study things like Creationism as part of the core curriculum.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-04-2016, 11:25 AM
(27-04-2016 09:38 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  That sounds like Bob Jones University Press alright...heh. I'm sorry you were taught all those things and had to relearn from basics. Sad And heh, funny you mention Liberty at the end...from what I understand, they have at least two GNED courses where you have to study things like Creationism as part of the core curriculum.

That doesn't surprise me in the least. I would be shocked if any of their classes actually taught evolution properly, without constant reminders that it's only being taught because it's what "the world" believes and isn't actually true. Even that might be asking too much for hard core creationists (at least in my experience).