"Biology for Christian Schools"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2016, 11:34 AM
RE: "Biology for Christian Schools"
(23-04-2016 09:51 PM)debna27 Wrote:  So I'm staying at my mom's house for a couple of days. She's very religious, as I was until college, and she's held on to a lot of the books that I used during my education in homeschooling and then in Christian private school. Having just finished listening to Seth's podcast on religious homeschool cults, I decided to take a look at my own textbooks and see if any of them were of the ilk that was discussed there. Lo and behold, I've stumbled upon the 2005 edition of "Biology for Christian Schools" from none other than Bob Jones University Press, which I used in my freshman year biology class, and I thought it might be interesting to get your feedback on a few of the more...opinionated passages. All emphasis mine, unless otherwise noted.
First: from Chapter 8, "The History of Life"
"The Bible has much to say about Creation, and one of the Christian's greatest privileges in science is to seek God's thoughts on the subject. Some Christians, however seem to care more about what the Bible does not say regarding Creation than about what it does say. They prefer to discuss such trivia as "Dinosaurs are not mentioned in the Bible" and "The Bible does not specifically state where Cain got his wife." It is far more important to have a thoroughly Christian worldview of Creation and biological history than to be concerned about things God did not choose to tell us. "
From Chapter 3, "Introduction to Cells"
"Sometimes unicellular or colonial organisms are referred to as "first" or "early" organisms. Use of these terms should alert the reader that the writer may be writing from an evolutionary perspective, implying that the more complex organisms developed later as the "early" organisms evolved. However, these terms are not correct since all life was created during the week of Creation."
Last for the moment: from Chapter 1, "The Science of Life and the God of Life"
"Science is often portrayed as having "all the answers." Although science cannot supply all answers and the answers it currently provides may need to be reevaluated as more information is obtained, science can and does supply workable answers. This belief may cause some people to place their faith in science rather than in God. They look to science for all the answers, but it is impossible for science to supply them. Science supplies information to solve physical problems. Man's real problem cannot be answered be science: man is guilty because of sin and in need of salvation from an eternity in hell. Only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and the salvation that He offers can solve man's sin problem."
This type of information was the basis for what we were taught and tested on; I got a 103 in the course but realized when I got to university and tried to pursue a pre-med track that I knew virtually nothing about science. I'll post more excerpts if anybody find them interesting or worth reading.

"First: from Chapter 8, "The History of Life"
"The Bible has much to say about Creation, and one of the Christian's greatest privileges in science is to seek God's thoughts on the subject. Some Christians, however seem to care more about what the Bible does not say regarding Creation than about what it does say. They prefer to discuss such trivia as "Dinosaurs are not mentioned in the Bible" and "The Bible does not specifically state where Cain got his wife." It is far more important to have a thoroughly Christian worldview of Creation and biological history than to be concerned about things God did not choose to tell us."

The irony is that this passage doesn't say anything meaningful, and it certainly doesn't say anything that could even be accidentally mistaken for science.

It's also important to note that this passage, doesn't say anything about the things that the bible says that are outstandingly wrong.

"From Chapter 3, "Introduction to Cells"
"Sometimes unicellular or colonial organisms are referred to as "first" or "early" organisms. Use of these terms should alert the reader that the writer may be writing from an evolutionary perspective, implying that the more complex organisms developed later as the "early" organisms evolved. However, these terms are not correct since all life was created during the week of Creation." "

aka: "Don't listen to scientists and their fancy science."

"Last for the moment: from Chapter 1, "The Science of Life and the God of Life"
"Science is often portrayed as having "all the answers." Although science cannot supply all answers and the answers it currently provides may need to be reevaluated as more information is obtained, science can and does supply workable answers. This belief may cause some people to place their faith in science rather than in God. They look to science for all the answers, but it is impossible for science to supply them. Science supplies information to solve physical problems. Man's real problem cannot be answered be science: man is guilty because of sin and in need of salvation from an eternity in hell. Only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and the salvation that He offers can solve man's sin problem." "

This is actually hilarious. Not only does science NOT claim to have all of the answers, but religion does. Laugh out load It's cognitive dissonance: "Don't listen to scientists who tell you they have all of the answers, listen to preachers that tell you they have all of the answers."

My wife and her siblings were indoctrinated in the same bullshit. Now her mom tries to constantly guilt trip them about how she "gave up her life to educating them" and constantly "apologizing" for them not liking the "education" she provided to them. She doesn't and probably never will understand why they trash the crap she tried to indoctrinate them with.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply