Bipolar/depression, illness or true self

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2016, 04:26 PM
Bipolar/depression, illness or true self
I often wonder wether people with mental 'illness' are really ill or are just experiencing a truer deeper reality that most don't see.

The torment that someone with a mental illness goes through is surely largely objective to the common hum that society goes along with to keep things ticking over smoothly..maybe in a different environment what we class as illness could be something completely different???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2016, 09:50 PM
RE: Bipolar/depression, illness or true self
[Image: laughter.gif]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 2 users Like Commonsensei's post
18-11-2016, 09:56 PM
[Image: QvvswUZ.jpg]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-11-2016, 10:26 PM
I don't think the OP's questions are that bad.
18-11-2016, 10:43 PM
(18-11-2016 10:26 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I don't think the OP's questions are that bad.

Being a fucking nutbag, I think they're pretty bad. Tongue

[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-11-2016, 11:01 PM
I think it's plausible that seeing reality too clearly could make you seem insane. I also don't think it's that far fetched to conclude that the ability to deny certain realities is a defense mechanism against mental collapse.

Has anyone else read Becker's Denial of Death?
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
18-11-2016, 11:34 PM
(18-11-2016 11:01 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I think it's plausible that seeing reality too clearly could make you seem insane.

I'm reminded of the tale of the demise of the guy in my avvy. Georg Cantor sets out to prove his Continuum Hypothesis, went nuts. His contemporary Kurt Godel says I'll give that a whirl, went nuts. It's still on the list of things you can prove in mathematics to make some prize money - wanna give it a try? Laugh out load

There is no "could" or "seem" about it, as far as I'm concerned.

With the OPs presentation and reputation, however, this topic doesn't to my mind merit considered discussion (at least with him, anyway), my mind threw up so many flags I thought the Patriots were playing up there.

My experience with depression ain't no insight to a "truer, deeper reality;" but mostly I was thinking of others situations which are far worse than mine when I threw a meme rather than a knuckle sandwich at this troll whose language reeks of marginalization. But I'm better now. Big Grin

And, nope; haven't read that book.

[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-11-2016, 10:39 AM
No thanks to Cantor who was too preoccupied with Gwynnies to do a proper belay, I finally climbed out of the pit again, for now. While the Black Dog can be rather nasty when he's not sedated I won't put him down. How many can say honestly say they know what it means to be terrified of their own mind?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-11-2016, 04:57 PM
(18-11-2016 10:26 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I don't think the OP's questions are that bad.

It's what I call a bate and switch. If you look at his other posts you'll see the same tactic being used. He just wants reactions so he can call you an idiot. He was a troll.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
20-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Hi,

It is a depressing thought that genuinely interesting and serious questions are so easily used for trolling purposes, particularly where mental health is concerned.

Sounds like something that might happen in the new America.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post