Birthday outing...so to speak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2015, 11:36 AM
RE: Birthday outing...so to speak
(25-08-2015 11:31 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I would actually like to read the whole thing. That was brilliant. She should be honored that you care enough to go to so much trouble.

RS shoot me your email in a private message and I'll forward it to you. Yes
And...i'm always open for criticism. I want to make sure I'm as accurate as possible and that my responses can improve over time.

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2015, 01:47 PM
(25-08-2015 09:47 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 09:41 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  Hahaha...thank you INMIY! Very kind of you Shy

You earned it with that response. For sure. Thumbsup

I can't take full credit. There are many who have blazed a path before me that have clearly enumerated well thought out responses. While I may have put these responses in my own words, according to my journey, I can't claim entitlement. But, I can be thankful that my mind has become opened enough to see things from an enlightened point of view. Smile

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 4 users Like Tonechaser77's post
26-08-2015, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2015 07:52 AM by Mr. Boston.)
The most difficult of my "coming out" interactions was with my mom. I've told the story here before but essentially she was a Methodist minister (since retired) and we were planning my wedding. We thought it would be nice to have her perform the ceremony, but we wanted it to be secular and so of course I had to explain why. So I had to get into it in an improvisational manner, in a public restaurant, without having prepared any hand-outs or materials, lol.

Anyway after all the discussion about "proof" and the fact that the universe CAN operate according to natural laws without divine/supernatural intervention, and morality as an evolving social construct, the last hurdle was the whole thing about the soul and afterlife.

I'll add that my mother has never been an opponent of science, she's always looked to Christianity more for the "love your neighbor" type stuff, and she supports the Big Bang, evolution, etc. She was never a Biblical literalist. But she had a hard time accepting my stance that the "soul" doesn't exist and once you're dead that's it. She had a real hard time with the fact that my opinion was after she died we'd never see each other again, never be reunited in Heaven, etc.

I got into all the astrophysical stuff (what little I know) and the origins of matter, and how we're made of star stuff, how our atoms were created in stars and spread through the universe and how amazing it is that of all the possible combinations a few atoms were able to come together and be us, together for 75 years or so and that when we died we'd go back to the universe. I told I felt we'd be "reunited" the way a grain of sand is with the salt of the ocean, the way a blade of grass is with the morning dew, etc. Anyway, she's always been kind of a hippie, so I illustrated how there's plenty of hippie-dippy touchy-feely poetic stuff going on in the natural universe and it also happens to be true! No deity required.

So yeah, not sure if this relates to the OP's situation much at all, but if this discussion with your relatives veers into talk of how hopeless and lonely and meaningless and bleak and dismal it must be to not believe in gods or afterlives - there's all kinds of beautiful poetic stuff about the REAL world you can get into. A material universe can be every bit as awe-inspiring and motivational as a supernatural one.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
26-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Happy Birthday Heart

I hope they read every word. I really do. I hope they challenge it - it will force them to think and open their minds.

It was wonderfully written.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
26-08-2015, 10:20 AM
(26-08-2015 08:10 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Happy Birthday Heart

I hope they read every word. I really do. I hope they challenge it - it will force them to think and open their minds.

It was wonderfully written.

Thank you Nurse! Here's to hoping! Unsure Drinking Beverage

**Crickets** -- God
26-08-2015, 10:26 AM
I wish TC would post his whole letter. I thought it was brilliant and extremely well-executed.

I enjoyed every word of it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
27-08-2015, 11:13 AM
(25-08-2015 11:03 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(25-08-2015 10:56 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  This cracked me up....all this talk of killing today. I told Jennybee that to solve her rattle snake problem she needed to call some of the christian snake handlers out to her house...she said that she would end up with a dead chrisitan and an uncaptured snake....but then again, maybe that was my point? TongueRolleyes

You could always ask Joe Pesci to go deal with your relatives...

Joe Pesci gets shit done.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-08-2015, 07:46 PM
My blood was boiling as soon as she brought the kids into it and then said EVERYONE was ggathered around at Christmas praying for you Gasp

oh holy fuck....atleast you were given warning 7 months later. Dodgy

glad you dropped a bomb on her.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
27-08-2015, 08:05 PM
From one Kyle to another, you fuckin' rock, dude. I really like how you handled that.
[+] 4 users Like EppurSiMuove's post
27-08-2015, 11:40 PM
Nice one TC.

I read your quoted bits twice. Once in a pleasant conciliatory tone and once with an assertive / aggressive tone.

Either work fine by me.

I wonder how your relatives will read it.

You'll have to let us know.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post