Birthday outing...so to speak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2015, 08:58 PM
RE: Birthday outing...so to speak
(31-08-2015 08:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Aliza - At least you can answer "yes" when they get all doe-eyed and stick out their bottom lip and whimper, "But at least you believe in SOMETHING, right?" Like you're about to stab them if you admit to being a real-life atheist.

I hate when they do that. Angry

I don't know who has it worse.... I think the atheists do because like you said, I can at least say that I'm half-way there. But on the flip side, the apostle Paul specifically instructs them to go to the Jews first.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
31-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Yeah but because Israel pisses off the Muslims, the hip new thing for the evangelical types is to have a Jewish friend.

We're still the Anti-Christ (or the Ant Christ, as the case may be) to them.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
01-09-2015, 01:43 AM
(31-08-2015 08:58 PM)Aliza Wrote:  ...
I don't know who has it worse.... I think the atheists do because like you said, I can at least say that I'm half-way there. But on the flip side, the apostle Paul specifically instructs them to go to the Jews first.

Of it could be worse.

What if you're an atheist Jew living in an officially Muslim country.

That sounds like hell!

Weeping

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-09-2015, 09:12 PM
TL/but read every word. Masterfully done.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-09-2015, 12:16 PM
TC- any response from her or other members of the family that may have heard what you wrote to her?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
05-09-2015, 09:02 AM
(04-09-2015 12:16 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  TC- any response from her or other members of the family that may have heard what you wrote to her?

No response and I doubt I will get one. People shy away from talking about this unless I deliberately approach them with questions. Then, they may engage, but from anecdotal experience it's still a small probability. My assumption is that they fear they will begin to doubt or they fear that they don't have the capability to reason with the unbeliever to sway him/her back to their side.

I will definitely update the threat if I get a response! Smile

**Crickets** -- God
06-09-2015, 02:20 AM
Just read your response, masterfully stated. I don't know what I'd do if I got a letter like that. Sorry for what you're going through, good luck going forward though.
06-09-2015, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2015 08:31 PM by Ted Tucker.)
Tonechaser,
Hang in there. I'm sure you realize that your kids will grow up to be rational critical thinkers. These are the skills that will take them far in their future. They will have your reasoning skills as a guide to lead them from the false control by fear of religion. Bravo!

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein