Birthmark removal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Birthmark removal
My son has a birthmark down the side of his nose. When he was born it was just a small dot that the doctors thought would go away. It didn't. It got larger as he got older. I suppose you would call it a port wine stain.

Many years ago we tried a technique to lighten it via a plastic surgeon. The treatments were painful and we didn't see any progress so my son decided to stop the sessions.

So, today he is going for a first laser treatment with a plastic surgeon in Dallas who specializes in birthmarks and other vascular anomalies. The doctor is also a professor at UT Southwestern. My oncologist is at UTSW so my confidence level is pretty high.

I sure hope this doctor can help. It's to the point where my son has problems with the birthmark reacting to his safety glasses at work. It has swollen and become quite red. It has always been something that shakes his confidence so removing or lightening it will really help both emotionally and physically.

Hope this goes well. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
13-10-2014, 09:04 AM
RE: Birthmark removal
(13-10-2014 08:46 AM)Anjele Wrote:  My son has a birthmark down the side of his nose. When he was born it was just a small dot that the doctors thought would go away. It didn't. It got larger as he got older. I suppose you would call it a port wine stain.

Many years ago we tried a technique to lighten it via a plastic surgeon. The treatments were painful and we didn't see any progress so my son decided to stop the sessions.

So, today he is going for a first laser treatment with a plastic surgeon in Dallas who specializes in birthmarks and other vascular anomalies. The doctor is also a professor at UT Southwestern. My oncologist is at UTSW so my confidence level is pretty high.

I sure hope this doctor can help. It's to the point where my son has problems with the birthmark reacting to his safety glasses at work. It has swollen and become quite red. It has always been something that shakes his confidence so removing or lightening it will really help both emotionally and physically.

Hope this goes well. Undecided

Isn't medical science amazing? I watched a video just last night on extreme birth marks and their removal. Best of luck, and I hope it all goes well. Keep us posted.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
13-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Interfering with safety is serious! (So is self confidence, course)

I hope it goes well!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
13-10-2014, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 09:27 AM by Anjele.)
Thanks guys - I sent a link to Bucky and got the Bucky seal of approval on the doctor's credentials - I feel even better now. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
13-10-2014, 09:27 AM
hoping it goes well for him.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
13-10-2014, 01:41 PM
So, son is back from first treatment and it looks like was pretty brutal. He said it only took about 15 minutes and wasn't as bad as he expected. I had told him to just take his mind to the same place as when he has gotten tattooed.

They put numbing cream on it and he then sat in a massage chair while the cream did it's magic. He seemed to have liked the chair.

Now we wait to see, over the next few weeks, what effect it had on reducing the birthmark. If he and the doctor see results he will do it again in about six weeks.

I have high hopes. I sure hope it isn't a disappointment again. Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-11-2014, 09:48 AM
So, has he seen positive results yet? I hope everything turned out for the better.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
06-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Good luck to your son Heart I hope everything is going well.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
06-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Thanks for asking and the well wishes.

Of course we would love to see amazing results after the first treatment but know it will take time. It did seem to lighten parts of it a bit. It's obviously going to take a few sessions and there is a few weeks healing between each one. It left a heck of a bruise that took a while to go down.

We are optimistic that it's going to be successful over the long haul.

[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
I wish him the best and a speedy recovery from each session.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)