Birthright Citizenship for Martians

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2015, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 09:16 PM by ghostexorcist.)
Birthright Citizenship for Martians
I was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about United States v Wong (1898), the court case that resulted in the 14th Amendment being reinterpreted in terms of "birthright" citizenship for children born to immigrants. It centered around a Chinese American cook named Wong Kim Ark (b. 1873) who returned from China to the US during the 1890s to find his way barred from entry. He had the requisite paperwork proving his U.S. citizenry, but this was during the days of the Chinese Exclusion Act (1882). He was forced to live on a ship docked at the San Francisco harbor until a white lawyer retained by a local Chinese organization successfully argued in court that he was a native-born citizen. This lead to an appeal by the U.S. government that ended up in the Supreme Court.

Anyway, this got me thinking about the recent discovery of flowing(ish) water on Mars and man's future on the red plant. Manned missions are in the works, and, if everything works out, we might even establish some settlements there. I can imagine a time in the distant future where the planet has been terraformed and a small, yet significant human population takes up residents there. The people living there would obviously be considered citizens of Earth and subject to the same laws as those living on the blue planet. But what if, at some point, they declare independence? I’m sure this would result in a legal quagmire, especially regarding citizenship. Do you think there could ever be a court case in which Earth and Martian lawyers argue over the status of children born on Mars after independence?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
03-10-2015, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 09:37 PM by DLJ.)
RE: Birthright Citizenship for Martians
Little green men should be given little green cards.

If they don't meet the 'right' criteia ... send 'em back where they came from!

Also. Is it possible to build a wall separating Earth from Mars? I'd vote for that.

Angel

Find all posts by this user
04-10-2015, 12:01 AM
(03-10-2015 09:24 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Little green men should be given little green cards.

If they don't meet the 'right' criteia ... send 'em back where they came from!

Also. Is it possible to build a wall separating Earth from Mars? I'd vote for that.

Angel

Trump would find a way.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-10-2015, 01:06 AM
Depending on who has the biggest nukes, the citizenship issue would be solved quite quickly in the future I presume.

[Image: 004.sig]
04-10-2015, 02:55 PM
That's why NEWT wants to make sure it's 'Merica secured with American Bases on the Moon and Mars so they will be AMERICAN colonies. Though for the first part it probably will be based on their heritage of the parents who left from the US.

Now if US, Russia, Japan, etc. start working together on colony that has breed together over generations, who knows. But they'll have plenty of time to do paperwork on Earth if they're traveling here from there.

I'm curious, is that Chinese chef like noted as the guy who mad Chop Suey, that sounds rather prejudice, but I heard a few months ago or year ago about the supposed creator of chop suey or some fake Chinese food dish eaten in America tried to come back to the U.S. after going home for a time, but was barred. I'm sure it happened to many people, including plenty of cooks too.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Tumblr in the year 2060:
"Don't call me a Martian, you planetist bigot! I just happen to live on Mars, but I still identify as a demi-Earthling. You could have asked me that before assuming. Ugh!"

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
04-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Why not take it further? Say some aliens come to the US for the express purpose of having children... Now that they've got an anchor baby we have to take care of the whole family and since the kid is a natural born citizen he/she can run for president. I mean do we really want a president Zaxbar?
05-10-2015, 08:38 AM
(03-10-2015 09:13 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Do you think there could ever be a court case in which Earth and Martian lawyers argue over the status of children born on Mars after independence?

Surely there would be ample precedent in the independence processes of the 20th century?
(peaceful, revolutionary, top-down, bottom-up, or otherwise)

Mass expulsion as practiced by some post-colonial states would be a little harder to wrangle at interplanetary distances, mind you...

... this is my signature!