Births, deaths and marriages

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2011, 09:17 AM
RE: Births, deaths and marriages
I find most of these ceremonies are as much cultural as religious. You've got people who really believe the religious aspects of it but I think you've also got a fair amount of people who do it because they've always done it.

I was raised Jewish and I still do certain things around certain holidays. I don't do it because I believe in God, but because it's just part of what I grew up with.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2011, 12:05 PM

I, personally, don't know anyone who takes the religious side of things seriously(they're all atheist, agnostic and/or apathetic). In the past, when they did have church weddings or christenings, they did so for cultural reasons - or because they didn't know of any alternatives. When I attended, I didn't join in with the hymns and prayers; I'd just sit and stand when appropriate.

It's not really a problem for me today as most of my family and friends opt for marriage at the registry office - or have humanist funerals and naming ceremonies.
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I had to attend a few funerals lately. I raise and sit on command of the priest. I don't make crosses though. (And I don't go for the little cookie-thing either. My wife does, she think it tastes great but she would love to have some jelly with itSmile) Mostly I am there to support the family and out of respect for the departed. On one occasion the priest invited the crowd to step forward and touch the cross. But he said, "Those of you who don't believe in the power of the cross can lay a fist over their heart and greet the coffin." Well... I thought THAT was class of the man!
So i did that and I saw some of the other people do it to.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply