Black Female Atheist vs Scared Theist Professor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2012, 03:16 PM
RE: Black Female Atheist vs Scared Theist Professor
(14-11-2012 02:56 PM)PeiPei22 Wrote:  The moment he said it, I knew I loved it. Because it was said by the man who you could tell my just looking at him, was "knocking on deaths door". As I recall, Hitch had made the party analogy just after someone either in the audience on the panel asked him how he was feeling and Hitch said very plainly, "Well, I'm dying. . . .but so are you, only a bit slower."

Bowing Gotta love me some Hitch

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-11-2012, 03:22 PM
(14-11-2012 03:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...impossible.

Didn't I just say this? Consider
There we go, I am content with this result.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-11-2012, 03:24 PM
(14-11-2012 03:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 02:56 PM)PeiPei22 Wrote:  The moment he said it, I knew I loved it. Because it was said by the man who you could tell my just looking at him, was "knocking on deaths door". As I recall, Hitch had made the party analogy just after someone either in the audience on the panel asked him how he was feeling and Hitch said very plainly, "Well, I'm dying. . . .but so are you, only a bit slower."

Bowing Gotta love me some Hitch

I think I got two of his quotes mixed up Ohmy
He did a another panel discussion shortly before he passed away, he made a similar statement and I think I crossed them together. . .
Either way, he was a boss.
14-11-2012, 03:36 PM
(14-11-2012 03:24 PM)PeiPei22 Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 03:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

I think I got two of his quotes mixed up Ohmy
He did a another panel discussion shortly before he passed away, he made a similar statement and I think I crossed them together. . .
Nope, it was the same panel discussion...

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Seriously, though... PeiPei, ask him about point #4. I'm curious to his response.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
14-11-2012, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2012 04:11 PM by Vosur.)
(14-11-2012 01:53 PM)PeiPei22 Wrote:  The title of today's lesson was "The 5 Proofs of the existence of God"
Aye, I too had to rip apart Thomas Aquinas' arguments in my religion course a while ago. 'Twas quite fun, though not very challenging. They've been debunked hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

(14-11-2012 01:53 PM)PeiPei22 Wrote:  1) There must be a Prime/ 1st mover: evolution was god's way of creating"

2) Uncaused cause vs cause effect i.e, nothing made god, god was just always there then suddenly decided to create the universe. (Again, his words, not mine)

3) Contingency-created something from nothing. Invisible creations. Basically god is the only being that can created something from nothing, he basically "willed" everything into existence.

4)Ultimate Perfection-God is perfect because all of his creations are perfect

5)Ultimate intelligence-because god is perfect and created the universe, he knows about everything that happens and everything that is going to happen, and that's why we should love, trust, and fear him.
1. Special pleading.
2. Special pleading.
3. Special pleading.
4. False premise. Humans (and other organisms) have a fair amount of "design flaws", making them imperfect.
5. Non sequitur. The necessity to love, trust and fear a perfect creator does not logically follow from it's existence.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
14-11-2012, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2012 04:38 PM by kim.)
I agree, #4 stands out on many levels... simplistically, the nature of perfection is subjective. Therefore, would not the very nature of god be subjective and most likely a construct of the human mind?

I can't think this dunderheaded "professor" is a good teacher at all; teachers are just supposed to put the info out there, encourage discussion, and help students arrive at results through critically thinking. The title is Professor not Pontificator.
What a dick. Dodgy

I really enjoyed revisiting those videos of Hitch. He is truly missed -he's one of the few reasons I still picked up Vanity Fair. For the New Year, I think I'll give out his last book Mortality. It's a collection of essays he did for Vanity Fair. Shy

Wow - here's a quick review of Mortality from Amazon...
Amazon Best Books of the Month, September 2012: Curious and prolific to the end, combative writer Christopher Hitchens leaves us with a posthumously published analysis of his dying days. Mortality is the anti–Last Lecture: Stripping away semantics and sentimentality, Hitchens treats his cancer as he would any other topic--with dogged inquisitiveness and brutal honesty. Which makes it all the more poignant when he begins losing his voice, his "freedom of speech," and sinks deeper into his "year of living dyingly." Funny, smart, irreverent, and surprisingly moving, this lucid, unflinching end-of-life journey through "Tumorville" is brave and powerful stuff. The unfinished jottings that comprise the final pages are a heartbreaking display of a mind that never stopped till the very end. --Neal Thompson

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
14-11-2012, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2012 05:05 PM by Janus.)
(14-11-2012 01:53 PM)PeiPei22 Wrote:  [...] he's already in the doghouse with me by suggesting that pregnancy by rape is somehow part of "God's Plan" and that's why abortion is a sin.

You may want to ask him – in class! – about this woman:

[Image: Womandies.jpg]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20321741

Quote:Well this morning he tried to pull another fast one. . . .

I know you all will love this one too Tongue

The title of today's lesson was "The 5 Proofs of the existence of God"
Thumbsup Amazing right? I actually stopped doodling in my notebook to pay attention to this one.
So here were his "proofs" for how/why there is no doubt that god exists.(These are all what he had written on the board in front of us, I copied everything word for word).

1) There must be a Prime/ 1st mover: evolution was god's way of creating"

2) Uncaused cause vs cause effect i.e, nothing made god, god was just always there then suddenly decided to create the universe. (Again, his words, not mine)

3) Contingency-created something from nothing. Invisible creations. Basically god is the only being that can created something from nothing, he basically "willed" everything into existence.

4)Ultimate Perfection-God is perfect because all of his creations are perfect

You may want to ask him about what's perfect about his creation the 'Jewel wasp' (click to play video):

[Image: th_AndtheLordsawthatiswasgood.jpg]
14-11-2012, 05:23 PM
(14-11-2012 03:36 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-11-2012 03:24 PM)PeiPei22 Wrote:  I think I got two of his quotes mixed up Ohmy
Nope, it was the same panel discussion...

Thumbsup

No, I mean I definitely watched another panel discussion he did after this one where he once again mention death and that he himself was dying.
I remember because it was the hardest one for me to watch.
I think I just accidentally blended what he said in THIS video with the other video.
14-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Guys,
I think we are missing the point.

Don't bother attacking the religious arguments. It's all been done before.

The point here is about professionalism.

PeiPei,
Ask him to relate everything back to Islam.
Ask where in Islam, in the Quran, in the Hadith etc. those arguments are put forward.

Ask him what critiques, whether from within Islamic scholarly debate or from other sources, have been postulated i.e. when, where and by whom those arguments have been refuted.

He is there to teach you. He should have all the answers.

If not, he is a fraud and should be exposed and / or the irrelevant subject matter in his lesson plans should be expurgated.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post