Black Lives Matter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Black Lives Matter
I never got this new trend. To me it seems to be nothing but a problem and will do nothing but further the divide between Americans. I think that this motto is nothing but exclusionary. Do we as black people have problems with racial profiling with law enforcement? Sure. But I feel that continuing to fight this battle with riots, marching, etc will do nothing. Having the conversation on why this is being done will. Sitting in a room with people of the other side is the only way peace has came in war time(well that or complete annihilation). I just feel that all of those who fought for civil rights would have some type of problem with the way this is handled.

But I would be willing to deal with it had it not been for the backlash people are getting for merely say All Lives Matter. I still didn't understand why this was bad until I read a post from someone on facebook who happens to be "pro-black" Dodgy

‪#‎BlackLivesMatter‬ does not mean that only black lives matter. It's a slogan created to counter the insidious notion that they are somehow less important than other lives. ‪#‎AllLivesMatter‬ is a counter to that statement implying that black people have never actually been treated any differently in this country than any other group of people, and therefore, drawing attention to issues that specifically affect them is unwarrented. It's true that most groups in America have faced discrimination and unfair treatment at some point in her history. Systemic racism is more American than apple pie. That does not, however, preclude black Americans from creating a slogan to represent a movement that is unique to their cause. BLM does not mean that white people don't matter or that police don't matter or that animals or the economy or foreign affairs don't matter. It simply means that, contrary to historically popular belief, black lives DO actually matter. Black people are citizens with every bit as much of a right to be here and to be represented as any other American, and it's time our laws, policies, media, and culture reflected that.

This....this is what is happening now. This is what the majority of my fellow black friends believe(over 200 likes). Pay attention to how ass backwards the first two sentences are. It's almost like they love to hate.

I'm sorry I had to put this out there too...black people are some of the most racist people I have met. We use slavery to justify it but it's there all the same. So when I see this shit it kind of doesn't surprise me. We sit here with the look of awe of why white people hate us mean while we aren't even attempting to have peace because every time we turn around we bring up slavery. Now I'm not excusing slavery(my great grandmother has told me plenty of stories that were passed down about the abuse, traumatizing stuff) but come on we have to move on at some freaking point. I think it goes back to something we use on here about getting blamed for you parents mistakes. I don't think it helps anything blaming people who weren't alive then for things they didn't do. So until we move on(don't see it happening) it's going to be the same battle.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like MrKrispy601's post
16-08-2015, 01:13 PM
RE: Black Lives Matter
How do you think we would talk sir? Do you think it would work?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
16-08-2015, 01:28 PM
(16-08-2015 01:13 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  How do you think we would talk sir? Do you think it would work?

Umm...like human beings lol. No I'm joking. Like I just said town hall meeting type forums. Maybe top elected representation like we have for the house and congress to speak on issues. Just as long as the conversations are happening. I think it could work after some tweaking like the release of any new idea. It would take time I'm sure.
16-08-2015, 01:30 PM
Working as a "jailhouse lawyer" in the prison, during my nine years behind bars, I found that what you're saying is true, that the black inmate on average was as racist toward whites as the White Supremacist (an unfortunately high percent of all white inmates). And I agree with you that the bitterness is often counterproductive, and holding on to transgressions of the past can keep us from addressing the problems in the here and now. That said, there is a distinct link between the policies and social ideals (white supremacy, with lower-case letters) of the slave era, the Jim Crow era that followed, and many of the problems we are currently having (e.g. mass incarceration and the prison-industrial-complex) in terms of how African American citizens are treated. These are all directly attributable to racism, and they continue to affect African Americans, today. It can be hard to explain to the poor white person how they are privileged and why this matters, since they also experience repression in many ways.

The "white people matter, too" (all lives matter) counter-argument isn't a counter to BLM, because they have never been systematically oppressed simply because of race. There is a fundamental difference between personal bigotry and systematic racism. One example is deliberate creation of ghettos and the favoring of white neighborhoods for mortgage/loan subsidies, tax breaks, and infrastructure investments that have resulted in generational poverty-- in short, the extra opportunities for wealth that were available to my white grandparents helped my parents get to where they were, and thus helped me. There are also numerous articles on how "white privilege" affects us in ways often unnoticed until they are pointed out to us, which whites take for granted, and this leads to a false perception of "we pulled ourselves up by our bootstraps" and allows the super-wealthy to play the races off one another (see: every episode of Faux News ever aired) in a cycle of contempt and a sense of "they are taking from us" that goes both ways.

Anger toward white people in general, simply for being white, is as racist as people who are racist toward African Americans, but in most cases (on both sides) it seems to simply be the product of intellectual laziness. When I speak to people, white and black, who actually understand what the real issues are with generational poverty, racist laws/policing/policies, housing/economic discrimination, the social effects of the drug war and the prison industrial complex, and the subtle but significant effects of White Privilege even on black youth, there is little rancor, only a desire to try to talk through to a solution. The main issue seems to be a lack of education, and what ways to get white people of good intent to understand that this is as much their fight as any minority's and stop being offended when they perceive they are being attacked for their privilege. Letting go of that sense of being offended for every transgression is good for both sides, but I think it has to start with whites.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-08-2015, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2015 02:16 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Duplicate post. Sorry! Tongue

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
16-08-2015, 01:34 PM
(16-08-2015 01:28 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 01:13 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  How do you think we would talk sir? Do you think it would work?

Umm...like human beings lol. No I'm joking. Like I just said town hall meeting type forums. Maybe top elected representation like we have for the house and congress to speak on issues. Just as long as the conversations are happening. I think it could work after some tweaking like the release of any new idea. It would take time I'm sure.

Is it okay if I talk about this to you via PM?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
16-08-2015, 01:41 PM
When a group comes out with the slogan "Human Lives Matter" - I'll pay attention. They might be on to something.

We all bleed the same red - and that's all that should matter.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-08-2015, 01:44 PM
(16-08-2015 01:34 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 01:28 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Umm...like human beings lol. No I'm joking. Like I just said town hall meeting type forums. Maybe top elected representation like we have for the house and congress to speak on issues. Just as long as the conversations are happening. I think it could work after some tweaking like the release of any new idea. It would take time I'm sure.

Is it okay if I talk about this to you via PM?

Sure.
16-08-2015, 02:23 PM
This is still so relevant, more than 20 years later

♫People are people
So why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully♫

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
16-08-2015, 02:55 PM
I arrived in Oakland CA in the beginning of the 70s and went to a community college to see what educational standards might be expected of me in college, and to improve my English.

The college was maybe 70% black, 20% white and the rest miscellaneous.

It was the time of the Black Panthers. It was also a time when white Americans still had a bitter taste in their mouth about Germans, and even though I was born well after the war, I encountered a lot of hostility. I was also very naive, I had little to no knowledge of US history. I did know that blacks were once slaves and had attained their freedom some time ago.

I encountered zero hostility at the college. I made friends quickly, I never felt any sort of discrimination. I was invited and went to a Black Panther BBQ party. People were nice, there was music and good food and lots of laughter. And weed. Everyone smoked weed back then.

Maybe I just walked into a spot in time and place where things came together and we all looked at each other the same. It wasn't that we were non-political, of course the Panthers were very political, and so were at least half of the other students. I was a feminist (note that feminists then were not the same as they are now), had a bunch of gay friends and went to gay protests, and protested for the legalization of weed. We all had causes, and we respected each other's causes.

Our various causes unified us rather than separated us. Of course white supremacists would not be found on a predominantly black campus, so there is that.

Still, I don't see any cohesion these days between people who support a variety of causes. It's each cause by itself.

When you get to a point where all you can see is your own cause, you are inherently biased - be it racial or gender or whatever discrimination. When you draw a line between "us" and "them", you automatically discriminate.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post