Black Lives Matter March, Whites told to move to the back....racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-07-2016, 12:36 AM
Black Lives Matter March, Whites told to move to the back....racist?
The Black Lives Matter group is getting ready to march. The community organizer is instructing white people to move to the back. Racist?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
27-07-2016, 01:06 AM
RE: Black Lives Matter March, Whites told to move to the back....racist?
Are they being deemed a race that is inferior to the people in front?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-07-2016, 01:07 AM
[Image: 95b730f52933750efaffec83d6f5a56c.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-07-2016, 01:29 AM
(27-07-2016 01:06 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Are they being deemed a race that is inferior to the people in front?

Sure sounds like it from the mouth of that cow.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
27-07-2016, 03:15 AM
(27-07-2016 01:06 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Are they being deemed a race that is inferior to the people in front?

That is irrelevant to the question of whether this was in some way racist. Attributing individual characteristics or traits to someone solely because of their race is racism.

The person directing white people to move back and black and other colored people move forward is describing the positions as the "rightful place" for each respective color. Can you explain or justify why a person's skin color determines their "rightful place" in a march/rally?
[+] 3 users Like BryanS's post
27-07-2016, 03:29 AM
(27-07-2016 03:15 AM)BryanS Wrote:  

That is irrelevant to the question of whether this was in some way racist. Attributing individual characteristics or traits to someone solely because of their race is racism.

The person directing white people to move back and black and other colored people move forward is describing the positions as the "rightful place" for each respective color. Can you explain or justify why a person's skin color determines their "rightful place" in a march/rally?

Depends on how you define racist. Because what I laid out can be said to be the defining idea of racism or what you said.

Some love to bicker about that and it's rather uninteresting to respond much more to a dullard of a opening post in lacking input without much of an input from that person on the topic.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-07-2016, 03:54 AM
Yes it's racist.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 10 users Like earmuffs's post
27-07-2016, 05:17 AM
Of course it's racist.

Not only that -- it's INTENTIONAL!!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-07-2016, 07:10 AM
(27-07-2016 03:29 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 03:15 AM)BryanS Wrote:  That is irrelevant to the question of whether this was in some way racist. Attributing individual characteristics or traits to someone solely because of their race is racism.

Depends on how you define racist. Because what I laid out can be said to be the defining idea of racism or what you said.

Some love to bicker about that and it's rather uninteresting to respond much more to a dullard of a opening post in lacking input without much of an input from that person on the topic.

I know that some people define racism as equivalent to being oppressed or disadvantaged by another group. That viewpoint allows those in the minority to act as though they are immune from being racist because they define the term in a way that absolved them of any responsibility for how they act.

I disagree with that definition of racism. My definition naturally leads to the question I posed--could someone justify a person's skin color determining their "rightful place" in a march/rally? There will be some who think the behavior of this organizer is not racist because as a member of an oppressed minority, she cannot exhibit racism. I asked the question to see if you were of that opinion.

But yes, I think that is racist behavior. Whatever it is, though, it is certainly counterproductive. I think seeing white people among the BLM protestors rather than in the back and out of site would send a more powerful/unified message.
[+] 10 users Like BryanS's post
27-07-2016, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2016 07:25 AM by epronovost.)
I recently got curious about that whole Black Lives Matter mouvement. I decided to make a little bit of research on them, read their manifesto and their FAQ. to me this decision doesn't seem to stem from racism, or the idea that white people were less important, intelligent, developped or generous, but from the fact that Black Lives Matter define itself as a Black civic rights mouvement. In their manifesto they stress the importance of the participation of Black people of all types, not just black men of middle class status and pastors (the classic representation of their civic mouvement leaders in the 60's). That's why it focus a lot on founding their mouvement with a strong presence of black women, homosexual, transexual and illegal immigrants/person without status. To my knowledge, this decision of asking white people to move to the back is motivated by a desire to «own» their civic rights mouvement and show that Black Lives Matter is the product of a diverse black community, not a product from progressive white people who propt them up like it was the case for much of the abolitionism mouvement. The main and most virulent critique of BLM remains at its core white supremacist groups. That's who they are fighting against the most and when seeing black and white marching together, these white supremacist groups are quick to attribute any form of success to the help of white people for there is no way a black men, let alone a transexual black women (like one of the founder of the mouvement), could have done such a thing by herself. March like these are a publicity stunt to attract media attention on a issue and motivate your base to fight for a cause. BLM want to carry the image of a black community standing for its rights in all its diversity. They don't want to look like they are begging. They don't want to look like they are propt up by progressive white people. They don't want to exclude white people either and they count on their support, but they are supposed to be the Rigo of the band not the McCartney. At least, it would be my opinion so far. Feel free to show me where I might be wrong.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 2 users Like epronovost's post