Black Lives Matter March, Whites told to move to the back....racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-07-2016, 07:26 AM
RE: Black Lives Matter March, Whites told to move to the back....racist?
As long as it's "us" and "them" -- it will never be "we".....

They should have known better than to pull this kind of shit.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-07-2016, 07:30 AM
The word racist is being tossed around too much today, which will ultimately cause it to lose its weight as an insult or a potentially meaningful statement.

Racist implies a belief that there is something inherently wrong with someone based on the color of their skin. They likely had them move to the back because they thought having a more visible black presence would add weight to their statement. So short sighted and irrational? Yes. Racist? Perhaps I'm playing semantics here, but I don't think so. To that end, a cop who instinctively acts differently towards black people due to the way previous experiences have altered the way his amygdala processes information when in the midst of a flight or fight response, but doesn't actually harbour any intentional malice towards black people when thinking rationally, I would also not consider racist.

Again, the term racist is being overused by people who just want to take advantage of the emotional response the word has historically triggered without actually stopping to consider what it means, and in the process of crying wolf, so to speak, are beginning to neutralize that response. It's now just another random, meaningless insult people throw around.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
27-07-2016, 09:25 AM
(27-07-2016 07:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The word racist is being tossed around too much today, which will ultimately cause it to lose its weight as an insult or a potentially meaningful statement.

Racist implies a belief that there is something inherently wrong with someone based on the color of their skin. They likely had them move to the back because they thought having a more visible black presence would add weight to their statement. So short sighted and irrational? Yes. Racist? Perhaps I'm playing semantics here, but I don't think so. To that end, a cop who instinctively acts differently towards black people due to the way previous experiences have altered the way his amygdala processes information when in the midst of a flight or fight response, but doesn't actually harbour any intentional malice towards black people when thinking rationally, I would also not consider racist.

Again, the term racist is being overused by people who just want to take advantage of the emotional response the word has historically triggered without actually stopping to consider what it means, and in the process of crying wolf, so to speak, are beginning to neutralize that response. It's now just another random, meaningless insult people throw around.

This is an excellent response. Very well put.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
27-07-2016, 09:36 AM
(27-07-2016 07:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  The word racist is being tossed around too much today, which will ultimately cause it to lose its weight as an insult or a potentially meaningful statement.

Call it divisive.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
27-07-2016, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2016 10:04 AM by tomilay.)
How I understand it, the white folks are being told to move back so the blacks in the group can have more visibility. Some, especially the thin-skinned type, might view that as a reprehensible attack on whiteness. Warranting pride of place alongside the loss of innocent lives they are protesting.

The only possible issue I might see is that she could have used more polite language explaining why. African Americans are culturally loud, which some people mistake for aggression. But from looking at the reaction of the whites in that group, they are probably on the same page.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
27-07-2016, 10:06 AM
It's chickenshit compared to the cops mowing down unarmed black men because of broken tail lights. Let's maintain a little perspective, people!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
27-07-2016, 10:10 AM

You can add "homophobic", "Islamophobic" and "sexist" to the list of words that have been overused to the point of rendering them meaningless.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
27-07-2016, 10:38 AM
(27-07-2016 10:10 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

You can add "homophobic", "Islamophobic" and "sexist" to the list of words that have been overused to the point of rendering them meaningless.

And xenophobic.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
27-07-2016, 12:14 PM
(27-07-2016 10:00 AM)tomilay Wrote:  How I understand it, the white folks are being told to move back so the blacks in the group can have more visibility. Some, especially the thin-skinned type, might view that as a reprehensible attack on whiteness. Warranting pride of place alongside the loss of innocent lives they are protesting.

The only possible issue I might see is that she could have used more polite language explaining why. African Americans are culturally loud, which some people mistake for aggression. But from looking at the reaction of the whites in that group, they are probably on the same page.

Why did the community organizer single out whites? She specifically asked white people to move to the back. Surely there were some Hispanics and Asians there too. Why weren't they asked to move to the back? She could have said, "black people to the front, all others to the back".....but she didn't. She targeted whites.

Also isn't claiming that African Americans are culturally loud about the same as saying they are uppity?
27-07-2016, 12:16 PM
(27-07-2016 10:06 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  It's chickenshit compared to the cops mowing down unarmed black men because of broken tail lights. Let's maintain a little perspective, people!

Lets just rationalize away the racism everyone.......mmmkay.