Black Lives Matter March, Whites told to move to the back....racist?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
27-07-2016, 10:04 PM
RE: Black Lives Matter March, Whites told to move to the back....racist?
(27-07-2016 07:19 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 06:33 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yes, lets get some perspective. View the stats I posted in another thread on this issue. Unarmed whites are being killed at the same rate as unarmed blacks. There is no culture of "mowing down" blacks. Just media cherry picking what stories to publish. And idiot blacks overreacting about the wrong things.

I'm not saying they have nothing to complain about but they're complaining about the wrong things and they're doing it in a very poor way, such as what happened in the OP. If you don't think sending the whites to the back is racist than you're a fucking moron.

Equal rights means equal. EQUAL. I had a dream that my children would be judged not by the colour of their skin but by their character (or whatever you know the quote). BY THEIR CHARACTER! NOT THEIR SKIN COLOUR! That includes white, black, yellow, red, orange, purple with pink fucking spots. Equal.

It's not a hard concept to grasp.

And what black people are doing, and especially this BLM shit, is NOT equal, it's about getting blacks beyond that equal line. It's racist. Simple. End of conversation.

I thought the whole point isn't that there is more, that it is ignored in punishment. The rallies and protests didn't begin because a couple black guys were shot, it's that when black guys have been killed by officers, the officers are routinely getting off without punishment in these cases. It still goes back to Rodney King and then the recent string of years having the same results.

Actually it is BOTH. Police impunity. But also over-representation of black victims. It requires little more than elementary statistics to get that point.

The information is out there if one is interested in the facts.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2016, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 12:57 AM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(27-07-2016 12:26 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 12:14 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Also isn't claiming that African Americans are culturally loud about the same as saying they are uppity?

Last paragraph. It's not the same. There are some cultures where people tend to be loud. Americans in general are loud. African Americans take it a decibel higher. That can be interpreted as aggressive by someone not familiar with the norms.

Merriam-Webster's simple definition of uppity is:

Quote:acting as if you are more important than you really are, do not have to do what you are told to do, etc.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/uppity

Would you describe the behavior in the video as uppity? There is an unwritten rule that you don't tell other races to move to the back. It seems like BLM feels rules don't apply to them. What about when BLM operatives interrupted a Bernie Sanders rally....was that uppity behavior?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV-ZSP0zAuI

No one is going to remember the BLM march.....or the BLM protests. What they will remember is a group of people who thought societal rules didn't apply to them. They are doing nothing to help race relations but instead the engage in acts that re-enforce racial stereotypes. BLM is moving us backwards.
28-07-2016, 05:16 AM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2016 05:21 AM by Dark Light.)
I would say treating an individual or group based on biological, or perceived biological differences, differently than others, is racism. The short answer is yes. It's racist. If the roles were reversed you wouldn't even have to ask if it were.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
28-07-2016, 05:55 AM
(27-07-2016 07:10 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 03:29 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Depends on how you define racist. Because what I laid out can be said to be the defining idea of racism or what you said.

Some love to bicker about that and it's rather uninteresting to respond much more to a dullard of a opening post in lacking input without much of an input from that person on the topic.

I know that some people define racism as equivalent to being oppressed or disadvantaged by another group. That viewpoint allows those in the minority to act as though they are immune from being racist because they define the term in a way that absolved them of any responsibility for how they act.

I disagree with that definition of racism. My definition naturally leads to the question I posed--could someone justify a person's skin color determining their "rightful place" in a march/rally? There will be some who think the behavior of this organizer is not racist because as a member of an oppressed minority, she cannot exhibit racism. I asked the question to see if you were of that opinion.

But yes, I think that is racist behavior. Whatever it is, though, it is certainly counterproductive. I think seeing white people among the BLM protestors rather than in the back and out of site would send a more powerful/unified message.

BryanS well phrased and I completely agree, anyone can behave in a racist or bigoted manner; being a member of a minority group does not give anyone a pass; we need to hold all people to account to the same standard of behaviour.

My tolerance done not extend to your intolerance Angel
[+] 1 user Likes no_s_sherlock's post
28-07-2016, 06:10 AM
You know - the more I think about it -- the more I realize that these morons are trying to self destruct.............

They want "more blacks in front" to "represent"............

What they fail to realize is if the media showed the march -- and a bunch of white people were in the front -- it might actually have a cascade effect, making even more white people join the BLM movement......

No -- they want to end discrimination by segregating the whites to the back of the march......... Stupid, stupid, stupid...................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-07-2016, 06:19 AM
(27-07-2016 04:25 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
Quote:it's very important to manage the image being portrayed.

Was the ratio of white to black too high for example?

How about portraying the situation as it really is , rather then managing , meaning manipulating the situation to present the image you want to be presented even if it doesn't reflect the reality accurately.
The fact that you wrote that without even realizing what is you are suggesting is mind-boggling.
You are saying that is ok to fake the reality for the news in order to send out the message you want to be sent out. And not only that you are saying that this could be ok, you seem to think it is a perfectly normal thing to do.

Yeah but this is the reality of politics today. Even down to the news that you watch. To pretend otherwise is naive.
28-07-2016, 07:44 AM
(28-07-2016 06:19 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 04:25 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  How about portraying the situation as it really is , rather then managing , meaning manipulating the situation to present the image you want to be presented even if it doesn't reflect the reality accurately.
The fact that you wrote that without even realizing what is you are suggesting is mind-boggling.
You are saying that is ok to fake the reality for the news in order to send out the message you want to be sent out. And not only that you are saying that this could be ok, you seem to think it is a perfectly normal thing to do.

Yeah but this is the reality of politics today. Even down to the news that you watch. To pretend otherwise is naive.

Sadly , this is true, at least in the mainstream media, but let`s not make it a norm or support the idea as acceptable. It needs to be called out and fought against.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
28-07-2016, 07:46 AM
(28-07-2016 06:10 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You know - the more I think about it -- the more I realize that these morons are trying to self destruct.............

They want "more blacks in front" to "represent"............

What they fail to realize is if the media showed the march -- and a bunch of white people were in the front -- it might actually have a cascade effect, making even more white people join the BLM movement......

No -- they want to end discrimination by segregating the whites to the back of the march......... Stupid, stupid, stupid...................

It might sound as nitpicking (and frankly it is), but BLM describe itself, not only as a mouvement, but mainly as a community project. To be part of BLM you have to be a member of a black community. If you are a white person and want to actively support it, you will be qualified of allies, not as a member of BLM per say.

BTW, Black Lives Matter doesn't want to end discrimination by segregating black and whites in a march (or anywhere else). They want to stop the discrimination by producing stronger black communities (remember that geographical segregation is rather important in many american city and states and one of the core issue of the problem of black systemic poverty) to exercise pressure on politician and official to first change the way police interract with citizen, how community schools and services are financed, to recognise the problem generated by gentrification and about five other talking point mostly related to the perception of LGBTQ and women inside the black community. A march like this one, is a publicity stunt. It's barely big enough to attract local news. It doesn't change anything on the situation of the black community, but its a good way attract some attention on the issue and the group itself. The idea behind BLM is to strenghten black community up to a point where they become equal with white communities so they can exchange, intermix and share with one another as equals instead of in a relationship oppressor and oppressed. It's based on the Liberation Theory (a secular offshot of Liberation Theology) that state that equality and freedom isn't something that's given by the former oppressor, but by the actions and accomplishment of the oppressed who brakes his own shackles and rises to the same height then his oppressor.

Now, this is all nice intentions. We can discuss about the merits or flaws of their strategies and leaders for, despite the fact they have good intentions, it doesn't make them necessarly good. Do I think they made a mistake by asking their allies to march behind them or even to found their mouvement as a community project, thus excluding de facto any non black person? No, I don't think so because BLM is far from being the only mouvement, neither is it the biggest, to fight against racism against black people and communities. Neither are they the only organisation dedicated to improve living condition in black communities. If white people who want to fight against racism desire a bigger role, there is several white people organisation against racism. There is also multi community based organisation like the SPLC or the King Center. I perceive Black Lives Matter in the wider arena of the fight against racism. Their method to me has great virtues specifically because of their focus on black people and communities in all its diversity. It gives them central stage in the fight that concern and affect them the most. I don't suffer from oppression and racism in my daily life. I am born rich, in a stable family, men, heterosexual and white. I could hardly be in a better spot. When I come under fire due to one of those characteristics, I am a bit surprised, shocked and displeased. But, it happens very rarely and usualy the only thing I need to do to escape it, is to change thread on internet. For many other people there is no running away from it. It's in their living conditions. As such, giving front and center role to those who are victims and attempting to extract themselves from such living condition is an excellent idea and a very strong message. It's empowering instead of condescending.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
28-07-2016, 07:52 AM
(27-07-2016 04:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-07-2016 04:32 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  No. She was telling everyone, even the white people there to support them, and white media members to move to the back. She even said black media could stay up front. That is the very definition of discrimination, and possibly racism.

I have posed for group photos where the photographer said the very same things to get the lighting just right.

You're an angry elf.

I have made people pose for such photos. I made the white subject move into shade and the black into more lit portions of the composition. I used flash fill on the black subject, while metering for the white subject. Nobody seems to have taken offense at my racism.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
28-07-2016, 11:26 AM
What matters here isn't whether this is racist, but rather whether it's perceived as racist. The actions of Mrs. Loudmouth is just one of many examples of how BLM is a failure. Too many people forget that ending racism means ending racism, not ending racism against blacks. For someone who appears to be in a leadership position in the video, she should know well enough that her actions will be SEEN as racist. In this situation, perception is everything.

When you behave the exact same way you are asking others to NOT behave, you're destined for failure.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post