Black Lives Matter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 03:50 PM
RE: Black Lives Matter
(18-08-2015 02:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  The criminalization of addiction is one of the core issues at the root of today's racism.

I think you may have it exactly backwards. It seems to me that racism is at the root of criminalizing addiction and other drug behaviors. Not for nothing was marijuana listed as a Schedule A controlled substance back in the 30s -- it was the recreation of choice for blacks and Latinos across the south and southwest. And you can see another aspect of it in modern drug sentencing laws, where crack cocaine carries much harsher penalties than powder cocaine. It's no coincidence that crack is much cheaper, and therefore more popular among minority drug-users than powder.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
18-08-2015, 04:21 PM
(18-08-2015 03:50 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 02:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  The criminalization of addiction is one of the core issues at the root of today's racism.

I think you may have it exactly backwards. It seems to me that racism is at the root of criminalizing addiction and other drug behaviors. Not for nothing was marijuana listed as a Schedule A controlled substance back in the 30s -- it was the recreation of choice for blacks and Latinos across the south and southwest. And you can see another aspect of it in modern drug sentencing laws, where crack cocaine carries much harsher penalties than powder cocaine. It's no coincidence that crack is much cheaper, and therefore more popular among minority drug-users than powder.

Well, be that as it may, it still has to stop.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-08-2015, 07:15 PM
(18-08-2015 04:21 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 03:50 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I think you may have it exactly backwards. It seems to me that racism is at the root of criminalizing addiction and other drug behaviors. Not for nothing was marijuana listed as a Schedule A controlled substance back in the 30s -- it was the recreation of choice for blacks and Latinos across the south and southwest. And you can see another aspect of it in modern drug sentencing laws, where crack cocaine carries much harsher penalties than powder cocaine. It's no coincidence that crack is much cheaper, and therefore more popular among minority drug-users than powder.

Well, be that as it may, it still has to stop.

No argument there, brotha -- and still there's room for differing views.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
18-08-2015, 08:13 PM
(18-08-2015 02:46 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 02:11 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Even if a movement is arguably justified, that doesn't necessarily make it rational. Those who support this movement were already sympathetic to its cause to begin with, while perceived isolation on both sides is going to strengthen the resolve of the extremists, so to speak. The numbers of cop hating thugs and white supremacists will both rise in response to this movement.

It's sad that people aren't seeing the negative effects of this. I'm not saying we shouldn't be doing something too raise awareness I just think this way is way to detrimental.

It only serves to widen the gap of race relations. It's never been perfect but its getting worse. I expect the real racist whites who've been quieter over the last few decades to start stirring again now that they feel they're being pushed back. (If you don't believe that last statement to be a possible reality, I welcome you to come to a country bumpkin white area of America)
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
18-08-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm pretty sure "Be quiet, you'll piss off the rednecks!" is not an argument.

At least, not one I'm going to care about.

Race relations are fine, and still improving thanks to the efforts of people of good will on all sides. What's not fine is that (especially Middle Class) white people feel "racism is solved", because they don't see many examples of Klan-style individual bigotry anymore, so they don't feel the issues of structural racism need to be addressed specifically and quickly, acting as though the activists in the black communities are just making stuff up.

It really does seem to be about class more than race, but since the African-American community has had numerous generations in which policies were deliberately set up to keep them in lower classes and terrible socio-economic conditions/locations/cultures, the two are nearly inseparable except in a few "token" outliers.

Things are awful in parts of St.Louis and Detroit and Baltimore, almost all of the south, and in other places where the black citizens are rebelling against those decades of policy and decay, because they've Had Enough™. People who simply cannot imagine the conditions of their daily lives (including better-located and/or more-affluent African-American citizens) cannot understand why they are behaving in ways that seem incomprehensible. That's why I said, "If you can wave at a police officer and not fear he's going to come over and ruin your day, you can't understand this situation." (paraphrase)

And therein lies the real issue, not whether or not "race relations" are improving, or whether rednecks or other whites are going to get butt-hurt about what they see happening, or whether the entire AfAm community's motivations and thought processes are sufficiently pure to be allowed.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
18-08-2015, 08:45 PM
(18-08-2015 08:13 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 02:46 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  It's sad that people aren't seeing the negative effects of this. I'm not saying we shouldn't be doing something too raise awareness I just think this way is way to detrimental.

It only serves to widen the gap of race relations. It's never been perfect but its getting worse. I expect the real racist whites who've been quieter over the last few decades to start stirring again now that they feel they're being pushed back. (If you don't believe that last statement to be a possible reality, I welcome you to come to a country bumpkin white area of America)

Given the fact that most of them are conservative Christians, I think you're also going to see pushback due to their entire worldview being rolled back, not just on gay rights, but also on race relations, and religion in public as well.

Now is not the time to let up. I've always thought that the gay-rights movement was a natural ally to the secularist movement the we here, and many others elsewhere, represent, and I hope we keep speaking up so that they paint themselves into a despairing corner. The race issues are a little more complex, given the general religiosity of blacks in America, but we have to be able to get the message across that the denial of rights to one segment of society is a denial of rights to all. "No man is an island, entire of itself", right?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
18-08-2015, 08:46 PM
I genuinely feel you're underestimating the number of whites that are closeted racists and who wouldn't have a problem "picking sides" if the right crowd wooing motivational speaker came along.

The "I'm tired of seeing these blacks act like thugs and get a free pass" crowd are murmuring louder and louder.
18-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Anyone got any opinions on the Oath Keepers getting involved in Ferguson, or does that not really fall under the radar of normal people?

'Murican Canadian
18-08-2015, 08:53 PM
(18-08-2015 08:46 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I genuinely feel you're underestimating the number of whites that are closeted racists and who wouldn't have a problem "picking sides" if the right crowd wooing motivational speaker came along.

The "I'm tired of seeing these blacks act like thugs and get a free pass" crowd are murmuring louder and louder.

No, they have always vastly overestimated their numbers. Klan rallies number in the dozens counter-klan rallies number in the thousands.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
18-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Never heard of them before that incident.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man