Black Lives Matter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 09:08 PM
RE: Black Lives Matter
(18-08-2015 08:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 08:46 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I genuinely feel you're underestimating the number of whites that are closeted racists and who wouldn't have a problem "picking sides" if the right crowd wooing motivational speaker came along.

The "I'm tired of seeing these blacks act like thugs and get a free pass" crowd are murmuring louder and louder.

No, they have always vastly overestimated their numbers. Klan rallies number in the dozens counter-klan rallies number in the thousands.

A lot has changed since the 60s and 70s. Hell a lot has changed since the 90s.

I'm sure my perspective is its own because of living in Oklahoma my whole life, but I've seen plenty of opinions change over the last few years alone. I see more and more people everyday openly expressing frustration with being "okay" to be proud of your heritage...unless you're white.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2015, 09:12 PM
(18-08-2015 08:46 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I genuinely feel you're underestimating the number of whites that are closeted racists and who wouldn't have a problem "picking sides" if the right crowd wooing motivational speaker came along.

The "I'm tired of seeing these blacks act like thugs and get a free pass" crowd are murmuring louder and louder.

That may be the case; I certainly don't think my own views are airtight on the matter. Perhaps I am indeed being too optimistic.

I think too that the adjective "closeted" (which implies self-knowledge being hidden) could be replaced with "unconscious" (meaning that they don't even realize they're racist).

Fair points you make.
18-08-2015, 09:15 PM
(18-08-2015 08:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Anyone got any opinions on the Oath Keepers getting involved in Ferguson, or does that not really fall under the radar of normal people?

It bothers me, in that white guys carrying guns aren't treated the same.
18-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Yeah I never got that "You can't celebrate your heritage if you're white" argument.

You mean: CMT, GAC, Fox News, oh, and all but like six of the regular TV channels, that dedicate nearly 100% of their time to white culture and white (usually WASP) social values?

Like I said, the more angry our rednecks are, the happier I am with the country's direction.

I also lived in OKC for a year... that place scared the crap out of me, daily, with the Christian stuff... crosses on the skyscrapers at night, side of the road crucifixion scenes, and Jesus-fish/stickers on the backs of every third car.

That place is a madhouse, a maaaaaaddd hoooouuuuuse!!!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
18-08-2015, 09:20 PM
(18-08-2015 09:17 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Yeah I never got that "You can't celebrate your heritage if you're white" argument.

You mean: CMT, GAC, Fox News, oh, and all but like six of the regular TV channels, that dedicate nearly 100% of their time to white culture and white (usually WASP) social values?

Like I said, the more angry our rednecks are, the happier I am with the country's direction.

I also lived in OKC for a year... that place scared the crap out of me, daily, with the Christian stuff... crosses on the skyscrapers at night, side of the road crucifixion scenes, and Jesus-fish/stickers on the backs of every third car.

That place is a madhouse, a maaaaaaddd hoooouuuuuse!!!

I drove up to Tulsa this last January to visit my then-girlfriend. Even coming from Texas, I was astounded at the religiosity of the place. City-limit signs sponsored by churches!
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
18-08-2015, 09:32 PM
(18-08-2015 09:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

That may be the case; I certainly don't think my own views are airtight on the matter. Perhaps I am indeed being too optimistic.

I think too that the adjective "closeted" (which implies self-knowledge being hidden) could be replaced with "unconscious" (meaning that they don't even realize they're racist).

Fair points you make.

I try to be as open as possible because while I know it is irrational to hate someone for their skin color, I grew up in a racist household, and there are moments when I find myself having racist thoughts or getting angry with the behavior or select African Americans. Because of my upbringing I have to consciously face my thoughts, opinions, and emotions when something rubs me the wrong way.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
18-08-2015, 09:40 PM
(18-08-2015 09:32 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 09:12 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  That may be the case; I certainly don't think my own views are airtight on the matter. Perhaps I am indeed being too optimistic.

Fair points you make.

I try to be as open as possible because while I know it is irrational to hate someone for their skin color, I grew up in a racist household, and there are moments when I find myself having racist thoughts or getting angry with the behavior or select African Americans. Because of my upbringing I have to consciously face my thoughts, opinions, and emotions when something rubs me the wrong way.

That's a good thing to say, and think, FFTT. I too grew up in a semi-racist household; when my sis married a black man, I gave her away, because our dad refused to do so. And I find myself (even in my multiracial family) sometimes accepting stereotypes and profiles before I catch myself and start thinking again ... because that's what stereotypes are, not thinking.

It's hard to escape one's past, for better or worse. I hope you don't think I was taking a potshot at you, because I wasn't.
18-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Nah we're good.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
19-08-2015, 03:16 AM
(16-08-2015 12:38 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I never got this new trend. To me it seems to be nothing but a problem and will do nothing but further the divide between Americans. I think that this motto is nothing but exclusionary. Do we as black people have problems with racial profiling with law enforcement? Sure. But I feel that continuing to fight this battle with riots, marching, etc will do nothing. Having the conversation on why this is being done will. Sitting in a room with people of the other side is the only way peace has came in war time(well that or complete annihilation). I just feel that all of those who fought for civil rights would have some type of problem with the way this is handled.

Riots/marches have to a have a certain amount of.....legitimacy....in order to be effective at creating change. If they do not have that legitimacy, they will do much more harm than good....they will hurt the cause instead of helping it.

I think most people believe they treat blacks equally. I think most people believe their friends and neighbors treat blacks equally. I don't think they actually do but that is the subject of another thread. Riots, marches, civil disobedience, insistence of affirmative action....People look down on this and the perpetrators because they don't think it is necessary anymore.
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
19-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Scrolling through Facebook a minute ago and someone shared a video of 6 black boys sucker punching and jumping a lone white boy. Over 500 comments with over 490 being white people making comments such as:

"Thugs can't fight one on one!"

"Typical niggers!"

"Where's Obama and Sharpton?"

"Why should BlackLivesMatter when whites apparently don't?"