Black People and Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Black People and Atheism
As a Black-Cuban woman I've always wonder why it seems harder for minorities to leave religion behind
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 09:17 PM
RE: Black People and Atheism
(05-08-2013 08:49 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  As a Black-Cuban woman I've always wonder why it seems harder for minorities to leave religion behind

I dunno....I know it's hard for some when their religion is tightly woven with their heritage (Jewish people certainly come to mind).

But having said that there are so many people that are afraid to admit that they don't believe and that goes across race lines.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

Find all posts by this user
06-08-2013, 03:46 AM
Probably due to the fact that typically (key word in this whole post) Black people are poor and less educated (compared to white people for example) and religion typically tends to be very strong in the poor and less educated...

When you're near the bottom of the social ladder typically things like the bible saying you're equal and shit is good for self esteem and shit.

ie: The Pope.
Everyone bitches at rich people because they're rich and people that bitch about them are jealous as fuck.
The Pope, he is the figure head, leader, of the Catholic church... The Catholic Church is to say the least.. rich as fuck... yet noone (except atehists because we see the irony in it) bitches that the Catholic church is rich because it's gods will and shit...

It's like cults. People who are victims of cults are typically poor and less educated. And considering religion is just a big cult...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
06-08-2013, 03:55 AM
(06-08-2013 03:46 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Probably due to the fact that typically (key word in this whole post) Black people are poor and less educated (compared to white people for example) and religion typically tends to be very strong in the poor and less educated...

When you're near the bottom of the social ladder typically things like the bible saying you're equal and shit is good for self esteem and shit.

ie: The Pope.
Everyone bitches at rich people because they're rich and people that bitch about them are jealous as fuck.
The Pope, he is the figure head, leader, of the Catholic church... The Catholic Church is to say the least.. rich as fuck... yet noone (except atehists because we see the irony in it) bitches that the Catholic church is rich because it's gods will and shit...

It's like cults. People who are victims of cults are typically poor and less educated. And considering religion is just a big cult...
I guess I've been a bit spoiled. I grew up in a cushy upper- middle class neighborhood in Ohio raised around mostly white people. So I'm only recently within the last few years in my adult life figuring out what being poor is like. Sucky brain surgery.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2013, 04:00 AM
The thing with being poor is that it's equally a state of mind as it is a state of your bank account.
The defining difference between being poor and being a poor person is down to your determination.

IMO.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
06-08-2013, 05:15 AM
(05-08-2013 09:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  ...
hard for some when their religion is tightly woven with their heritage (Jewish people certainly come to mind).

And yet....

See point 5.

http://judaism.about.com/od/denomination...anches.htm

Bowing

06-08-2013, 05:58 AM
It's also a cultural issue. Minorities in general hold traditional values.

“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.”

- Bertrand Russel
06-08-2013, 06:02 AM
I agree with Muffs, it's not as much a racial phenomenon as a socio-economic one.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-08-2013, 06:09 AM
(05-08-2013 08:49 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  As a Black-Cuban woman I've always wonder why it seems harder for minorities to leave religion behind

Because in the United States, minorities are widely victims of poverty. You will find that areas in trouble tend to have more religious belief.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 3 users Like Logica Humano's post
06-08-2013, 08:05 AM
When you are in poverty or trouble (My mother is a good example) you really use religion as a comfort, like Logica said.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.