Black and White and now crazy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Black and White and now crazy
I've been hesitant to start a thread about this. It's not really a personal problem but it's sort of a situation that involves my husband, and I'd like some opinions. Some of you may know that my husband and I both do a lot of theatre locally in Portland Oregon.

My husband was casting the play Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and cast a black actor to play one of the characters in the play. It's the part of "Nick" which was played by George Segal in the movie. if some of you are familiar with the movie version of it.

So he needed to get the rights from the Edward Albee estate (Edward Albee died last year) and in order to get the rights he had so submit the actors for their approval so he sent in the head shots of the actors. The Edward Albee estate said No, you can't have a black actor to play the character of Nick.

My husband was a little miffed and disappointed and said so on a facebook post. It went viral. The Hamilton cast on Broadway started talking about it. The Guardian in the UK got a hold of the story. My brother saw it before we did and emailed us wondering what the hell was going on. The New York Times, the BBC and NPR phoned. My husband did an interview with the New York Times and NPR and one other, I think it was Slate. Apparently it's done some damage to the Edward Albee legacy.

Hubby was supposed to say in his facebook post that the Albee estate "withheld" the rights rather than "withdrew" the rights, sooooo we're getting a lawyer. Just in case.

Crazy times!!!

If you wanna google "Edward Albee and black actor" the story will probably pop up but otherwise I'm not going to post any links here.

Opinions?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
20-05-2017, 12:45 PM
RE: Black and White and now crazy
Holy cow! The world of viral news unleashed on you. Unsure

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
20-05-2017, 12:56 PM
(20-05-2017 12:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  Holy cow! The world of viral news unleashed on you. Unsure

Yup. My husband has spent the last two days writing emails and doing interviews. The BBC is trying to connect up with him again. The Edward Albee people are not happy. It's funny because the Oregon Shakespeare Festival had a black actress play the part of "Martha" in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf a few years ago ( Elizabeth Taylor did the part on the movie) and Edward Albee, who was alive at the time, didn't object. We don't know what happened between then and now except that the Estate is in control now. They are very unhappy with the bad publicity they're getting.

Husband just told me it's on Buzzfeed now. Geesh!

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
20-05-2017, 12:56 PM
You have apparently pushed the hot racial 'play' button.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
20-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Quote:The Edward Albee estate said No, you can't have a black actor to play the character of Nick.

"Withheld" or "withdrew" seems irrelevant. They're still a bunch of racist fucks.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
20-05-2017, 01:03 PM
(20-05-2017 12:56 PM)pablo Wrote:  You have apparently pushed the hot racial 'play' button.

He's going into the local NPR studio Tuesday for another interview. He's dodging bullets from the Albee estate. Edward Albee was gay. You'd think the estate people would recognize discrimination in all forms.

20-05-2017, 01:09 PM
Wow, good thing your husband is on the media's side on this one. Otherwise, they might call him a Nazi Tongue

Hamilton got some flack for casting discrimination, too, but the other way around.

That actor WILL be allowed to play the role, just watch. Now whether or not he will actually want to after this, well....

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
20-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Sic venit gloria mundi Smartass

Sorry, can't help myself sometimes (most of the times). What a crazy story. And I should certainly hope the estate is suffering some damage. What utter jerks!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
20-05-2017, 01:28 PM
What's their problem? Haven't the Albee estate people ever heard of Colorblind Casting? (Yes, that's really what it's called.)

They deserve every barb coming their way.

Good on your husband for standing up for the actor.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
20-05-2017, 01:34 PM
I agree with RS, I think it's great your husband stood up for the actor. It's so sad that discrimination still goes on in all mediums even today. Kudos on your husband though for not allowing it to infiltrate his play Thumbsup I think he did the right thing in mentioning it on FB, people like that need to be called out.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post