Black history month is fucking stupid.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2016, 10:36 AM
RE: Black history month is fucking stupid.
Those points are all true.

But the origins of it were strictly incrementalist - as in, claiming a small well-defined area would still lead to more coverage than the literally no coverage at all that was the norm previously.

So I guess there's that. Incrementalism almost always looks dumb in hindsight but it's also all that can be reasonably done at the time in a lot of cases.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
09-02-2016, 10:47 AM
(09-02-2016 10:36 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Those points are all true.

But the origins of it were strictly incrementalist - as in, claiming a small well-defined area would still lead to more coverage than the literally no coverage at all that was the norm previously.

So I guess there's that. Incrementalism almost always looks dumb in hindsight but it's also all that can be reasonably done at the time in a lot of cases.

Well sure, but the past is the past, basing something on it doesn't really help. At best the past should be used to learn.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
09-02-2016, 10:53 AM
(09-02-2016 10:47 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 10:36 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Those points are all true.

Well sure, but the past is the past, basing something on it doesn't really help. At best the past should be used to learn.

Okay. Now that it exists as a cultural phenomenon, how do you change it?

For what it's worth, I have seen plenty of people make the same arguments you did, and as I said I agree with them. But that just gets us to the "so what?" bit of any such observation.

09-02-2016, 11:05 AM
(09-02-2016 10:53 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 10:47 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Well sure, but the past is the past, basing something on it doesn't really help. At best the past should be used to learn.

Okay. Now that it exists as a cultural phenomenon, how do you change it?

For what it's worth, I have seen plenty of people make the same arguments you did, and as I said I agree with them. But that just gets us to the "so what?" bit of any such observation.

Same way you do with most problems like this, educate. Show why we shouldn't and promote black history through out the year instead of trying to put it in one month.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
09-02-2016, 12:00 PM
As soon as the history taught in our country is ALL equal and inclusive I will agree, until then I want black history month and women history month. When we are equal under the system of education it will go away naturally and organically.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
09-02-2016, 12:03 PM
(09-02-2016 12:00 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  As soon as the history taught in our country is ALL equal and inclusive I will agree, until then I want black history month and women history month. When we are equal under the system of education it will go away naturally and organically.

What do you mean by that? My old school pretty much ignored both and taught it all year.

09-02-2016, 01:31 PM
(09-02-2016 12:03 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 12:00 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  As soon as the history taught in our country is ALL equal and inclusive I will agree, until then I want black history month and women history month. When we are equal under the system of education it will go away naturally and organically.

What do you mean by that? My old school pretty much ignored both and taught it all year.

I think she means what both you and I were saying.

If it forces (or encourages) people to include some material when they'd otherwise have none, it's working as intended. If, on the other hand, material acknowledging minorities is already included, it's pointless and easily ignorable.

Problem is, schools and the like are incredibly varied. So there are plenty of places in both categories right now.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
09-02-2016, 01:54 PM
(09-02-2016 01:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 12:03 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  What do you mean by that? My old school pretty much ignored both and taught it all year.

I think she means what both you and I were saying.

If it forces (or encourages) people to include some material when they'd otherwise have none, it's working as intended. If, on the other hand, material acknowledging minorities is already included, it's pointless and easily ignorable.

Problem is, schools and the like are incredibly varied. So there are plenty of places in both categories right now.

Yeah, try finding black history or women history in Texas or Oklahoma. Ha! It's still very whitewashed. The only reason we have any decent Native American history taught here is that now they have some power and money here in Oklahoma and that can't be ignored.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
09-02-2016, 02:02 PM
(09-02-2016 01:54 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 01:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I think she means what both you and I were saying.

Yeah, try finding black history or women history in Texas or Oklahoma. Ha! It's still very whitewashed. The only reason we have any decent Native American history taught here is that now they have some power and money here in Oklahoma and that can't be ignored.

Well it wouldn't stop them from ignoring both regardless of women or black history month. So yeah if they are going so far as to white wash it then whether there is a black or any history month wouldn't help.

09-02-2016, 02:06 PM
(09-02-2016 02:02 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 01:54 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yeah, try finding black history or women history in Texas or Oklahoma. Ha! It's still very whitewashed. The only reason we have any decent Native American history taught here is that now they have some power and money here in Oklahoma and that can't be ignored.

Well it wouldn't stop them from ignoring both regardless of women or black history month. So yeah if they are going so far as to white wash it then whether there is a black or any history month wouldn't help.

I kind of like the idea of some ragingly racist bunch of rednecks getting reluctantly re-educated for one month a year Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post