Black history month is fucking stupid.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2016, 03:13 PM
RE: Black history month is fucking stupid.
It is ... but which is more stupid. Black history month or America? I think it has that public in an awkward manner way of making Americans a bit less stupid in their social surroundings

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-02-2016, 03:52 PM
(09-02-2016 01:54 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 01:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I think she means what both you and I were saying.

If it forces (or encourages) people to include some material when they'd otherwise have none, it's working as intended. If, on the other hand, material acknowledging minorities is already included, it's pointless and easily ignorable.

Problem is, schools and the like are incredibly varied. So there are plenty of places in both categories right now.

Yeah, try finding black history or women history in Texas or Oklahoma. Ha! It's still very whitewashed. The only reason we have any decent Native American history taught here is that now they have some power and money here in Oklahoma and that can't be ignored.

What, do you believe, are some events relevant to American history, that are specifically omitted by these states on the basis that the event has too much to do with women/black people?

Also I never thought about it before, and didn't know - but am not surprised - that each state can have its own educational curriculum. That's kind of stupid.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
09-02-2016, 03:58 PM
(09-02-2016 03:52 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 01:54 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yeah, try finding black history or women history in Texas or Oklahoma. Ha! It's still very whitewashed. The only reason we have any decent Native American history taught here is that now they have some power and money here in Oklahoma and that can't be ignored.

What, do you believe, are some events relevant to American history, that are specifically omitted by these states on the basis that the event has too much to do with women/black people?

Since that isn't what she said, I'm going to have to guess no.

... this is my signature!
09-02-2016, 04:12 PM
(09-02-2016 03:58 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 03:52 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  What, do you believe, are some events relevant to American history, that are specifically omitted by these states on the basis that the event has too much to do with women/black people?

Since that isn't what she said, I'm going to have to guess no.

Her post before the one I responded to said this, "as soon as the history taught in our country is ALL equal and inclusive I will agree, until then I want black history month and women history month. When we are equal under the system of education it will go away naturally and organically."

She is saying American corruciulums don't contain relevant history - not because it's irrelevent, because then it wouldn't be an issue; but for some other reason. That the arbitrary history she's talking about is specifically about women/black people it is correct to infer that it's omitted because it's about women/black people. She is saying either all states do, some states do; She doesn't necessarily convey both, but she necessarily does convey one.

The post of hers that I quoted specifically mentioned Texas and Oklahoma, so I chose the latter meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes Gilgamesh's post
09-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Huh

black (v.) Look up black at Dictionary.com
c. 1200, "to become black;" early 14c., "to make black, darken;" from black (adj.). Related: Blacked; blacking.
black (adj.) Look up black at Dictionary.com
Old English blæc "dark," from Proto-Germanic *blakaz "burned" (cognates: Old Norse blakkr "dark," Old High German blah "black," Swedish bläck "ink," Dutch blaken "to burn"), from PIE *bhleg- "to burn, gleam, shine, flash" (cognates: Greek phlegein "to burn, scorch," Latin flagrare "to blaze, glow, burn"), from root *bhel- (1) "to shine, flash, burn;" see bleach (v.).

The same root produced Old English blac "bright, shining, glittering, pale;" the connecting notions being, perhaps, "fire" (bright) and "burned" (dark). The usual Old English word for "black" was sweart (see swart). According to OED: "In ME. it is often doubtful whether blac, blak, blake, means 'black, dark,' or 'pale, colourless, wan, livid.' " Used of dark-skinned people in Old English.

Of coffee, first attested 1796. Meaning "fierce, terrible, wicked" is late 14c. The color of sin and sorrow since at least c. 1300; sense of "with dark purposes, malignant" emerged 1580s (as in black magic). Black face in reference to a performance style originated in U.S., is from 1868. Black flag, flown (especially by pirates) as a signal of "no mercy," from 1590s. Black dog "melancholy" attested from 1826. Black belt is from 1875 in reference to districts of the U.S. South with heaviest African population; 1870 with reference to fertility of soil; 1913 in judo sense. Black power is from 1966, associated with Stokely Carmichael. Black English "English as spoken by African-Americans," is by 1969.
black (n.) Look up black at Dictionary.com
Old English blæc "the color black," also "ink," from noun use of black (adj.). From late 14c. as "dark spot in the pupil of the eye." The meaning "black person, African" is from 1620s (perhaps late 13c., and blackamoor is from 1540s). To be in the black (1922) is from the accounting practice of recording credits and balances in black ink.
For years it has been a common practice to use red ink instead of black in showing a loss or deficit on corporate books, but not until the heavy losses of 1921 did the contrast in colors come to have a widely understood meaning. ["Saturday Evening Post," July 22, 1922]

From here.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-02-2016, 04:39 PM
(09-02-2016 03:52 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(09-02-2016 01:54 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Yeah, try finding black history or women history in Texas or Oklahoma. Ha! It's still very whitewashed. The only reason we have any decent Native American history taught here is that now they have some power and money here in Oklahoma and that can't be ignored.

Also I never thought about it before, and didn't know - but am not surprised - that each state can have its own educational curriculum. That's kind of stupid.

What I'm saying is that the state school book committee tells the publishers what to print and how to say it and yes they do omit, alter and right out lie about history to diminish the important contributions that black people, other people of color and women have made to our history. They have been raked over the coals for this many times and even had lawsuits against them. They still do it.

They have this same controversy nearly every year. (This is just the first one)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...00560.html

As you will see in the article the bigger problem is not just TX books but because they order so many the publishers cave to their wishes and as a matter of course the other states wind up having to buy Tx ignorance.

Yes, states get to select what they want to teach. There is some basic standard but they can omit, add and twist it to mean very different than what actually happened.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
09-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Quote:1. It makes it look as if we should teach black history once a year

You do understand that the republicunts don't want to teach it at all, right?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
09-02-2016, 04:51 PM
(09-02-2016 08:38 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Well hear me out. I want to explain why the concept of black history month, and ultimately all specific race months are really stupid.

Dude you're killing me. The cafeteria serves new and different exciting foods for me to try during each of these months. (Asian Pacific Heritage month is my current favorite.)

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-02-2016, 07:37 PM
Agreed, Zeke, agreed.

My thought as a white man is that if it is an attempt made by whites for mainly white consumption, then I am for it, as my knowledge is abysmal.

I blame Obama.
No, but I blame the history-taught-by-the-winners, which I want no part of.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus (341-270B.C.E.)
15-02-2016, 08:25 PM
I've never heard of an appropriate nor inappropriate month for studying any kind of history.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.