Black history month is fucking stupid.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2016, 09:12 PM
RE: Black history month is fucking stupid.
Black history month is a sort of awkward apology. That's how I see it.

But all it ends up doing is treat African American history as if it is a separate history from that of mainstream America. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The main fault lines in American politics to date have as much to do with the legacy of African American history as anything else.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
15-02-2016, 10:33 PM
(09-02-2016 08:38 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Now as I black man I can certainly say that black history month is fucking stupid. Now I can see a guest walk in here right now and say "wow this zeke kid is fucking racist, who does this guy think he is?'

Well hear me out. I want to explain why the concept of black history month, and ultimately all specific race months are really stupid.

1. It makes it look as if we should teach black history once a year

Now I hear people say that we should have black history month, because we teach to much white history through out the year. Now wonder why that is? Because there is no white history month. Now black history shouldn't be put into one month and then forgotten. Black history is large, with various of different black leaders. We shouldn't just try to teach it all in one month, not to mention the shortest month.

2. It doesn't help at all

Now I don't think america is as racist as it used to be, but keeping black history month doesn't help. In fact it helps people forget about it. Other races will remember a little about black history because they go 11 long months not learning jack shit about black history in school just to only learn it about one short month a year. Now I have heard the cry "But we celebrate black culture this month." And you can't celebrate black culture the rest of the year why? I mean you can do it any month, there is no excuse.

3. Black history is american history

And like american history it should be taught all year round. When history has an important black person in the mix, I don't care if it is February or July, teach the black history. And that goes for all races. Asian, white, hispanic, native american. American history is american history. Let's just learn about the deep and interesting history of america, all of it.

Well I hope you can understand my point of view on why this idea for a month is stupid. Now I know somebody is going to think I am racist for saying it, but in reality, I don't care what they think I mean you could address the points.

ありがとう

I can understand why there was an effort to have a black history month when American history curriculum normally did not include many black people. The real solution should be to include important figures from the black community in American history curriculum.

The problem with so many efforts like this is that nobody can see success in solving the discrimination problem. Or alternatively, the special separate attention to the minority group is seen as an end in itself rather than a means to the end of discrimination.
16-02-2016, 05:27 AM
(09-02-2016 08:38 AM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Now as I black man I can certainly say that black history month is fucking stupid. Now I can see a guest walk in here right now and say "wow this zeke kid is fucking racist, who does this guy think he is?'

Well hear me out. I want to explain why the concept of black history month, and ultimately all specific race months are really stupid.

1. It makes it look as if we should teach black history once a year

Now I hear people say that we should have black history month, because we teach to much white history through out the year. Now wonder why that is? Because there is no white history month. Now black history shouldn't be put into one month and then forgotten. Black history is large, with various of different black leaders. We shouldn't just try to teach it all in one month, not to mention the shortest month.

2. It doesn't help at all

Now I don't think america is as racist as it used to be, but keeping black history month doesn't help. In fact it helps people forget about it. Other races will remember a little about black history because they go 11 long months not learning jack shit about black history in school just to only learn it about one short month a year. Now I have heard the cry "But we celebrate black culture this month." And you can't celebrate black culture the rest of the year why? I mean you can do it any month, there is no excuse.

3. Black history is american history

And like american history it should be taught all year round. When history has an important black person in the mix, I don't care if it is February or July, teach the black history. And that goes for all races. Asian, white, hispanic, native american. American history is american history. Let's just learn about the deep and interesting history of america, all of it.

Well I hope you can understand my point of view on why this idea for a month is stupid. Now I know somebody is going to think I am racist for saying it, but in reality, I don't care what they think I mean you could address the points.

ありがとう

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
16-02-2016, 08:34 AM
The only reason I knew about black history month was because of television. It was never celebrated in any of the schools I attended.

I don't know what the curriculum presently looks like, but it was something taught year round as per appropriate to the curriculum. Especially when I was in fourth grade. At the time, 4th grade was specifically Alabama History. It is impossible to teach Alabama History without discussing the various Indian tribes, British/French/Spanish colonization, the Trail of Tears, slavery, the restoration, racism, the Klan and corruption, Civil Rights Movement/Dr. King/Selma/Birmingham church bombings. I still remember there being pictures of people that were tarred and feathered and hung from trees. Now I don't remember too pretty a picture of Malcolm X, but MLK was certainly lauded as a hero. It should be noted at the time I lived in a town notorious for its overt racism - I still won't claim it as my hometown despite living there the majority of my childhood years.

A little bit of history for you all being that it is black history month: Governor Wallace was the man who tried to stop integration in Alabama schools. In 1963 he stood in the door to block two black students from registering to attend the University of Alabama. President Kennedy federalized the Alabama National Guard, Wallace eventually stepped aside, and the students registered for class. Some years later there was an assassination attempt on Wallace that left him handicapped. (Of note, my mother's school was not integrated until she was in third grade - she was born in 1961...)

Here is a picture that is special to my family:

[Image: CD777DAB-A6EB-46F6-A7A4-D49ED29C8741_zpsnpjgrnia.jpg]

This picture was taken in 1976 and was in the newspapers. These are all honor students standing behind Gov. Wallace - the occasion was Beta Club week. My dad is standing next to his classmate, a black girl. Without knowing the above history, I wouldn't have understood how big of a deal it was for her to be standing there.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post