Black storm trooper???

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Black storm trooper???
I actually was looking around the web and I found this video that practically called half a fandom racist and over such a thing a questioning story continuity. Basically the controversy is about whether or not there should be a black storm trooper. On the surface, it looks like the people answering against it are racist, but once you follow their logic it makes sense to an extent.... The whole problem comes to if this is a clone trooper or not. If it is, then I got some quick fixes that would make sense.

1. Clone trooper still. He is just a clone of a different warrior besides Bulba Fett.
2. See same thing, but the bulb an Fett clones have been discontinued.

Besides that I see no story inaccuracies if he is not a clone trooper... what do you think.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 11:02 PM
RE: Black storm trooper???
^In the (now defunct) Star Wars canon the explanation for all members of the Emperial Military being pastey white dudes isn't "the casting was done in the seventies" (Though that is why Billy Dee is dressed up as a pimp.) it's "The Emperor is an evil, racist, sexist human centric prick."

They actually shut down production on the Jango Troopers after the end of the Clone Wars, the only Jango clones left in service at the time of The Original Trilogy were vets and no longer the bulk of the ground forces. Troopers were primarily less dangerous conscripts and pasty white dudes as a result of that.

I actually really like the fact that Moses is the first thing we see in the trailer because it:
-Immediately informs people who give a shit that there's been a signifigant change in the status quo over the intervening years. With an explanation that sense without having to go into EU minute.

-Addresses a problem some people had with the representation of non-white people in the last trilogy. (Not just Ja Ja)

-Implies that Moses may have a more important position in the movie than I thought. (Boyega is fairly awesome.)

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
01-12-2014, 11:05 PM
What? And Star Wars is a reality where we have Aliens who are near indistinguishable from humans that people are worried about skin colour?

I mean WTF? How many people are going to freak out that there aren't enough bright pink Zeltrons being shown, hence there's discrimination?

Rolleyes

As for actor placement? Yeah, that's a social/political issue more embedded within different countries/cultures.

Much cheers to all.
01-12-2014, 11:17 PM
i waas just wondering how ut was going to work out in continuity but that has been answered now.. heck I think the b;ack storm trooper has been over due.. lol... but thats just me. I don't thisnk anyone is being rasist. their just curious to the new development.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
02-12-2014, 04:22 AM
I can't believe people are making such an issue out of it considering they don't know anything about the story. It wasn't even a proper trailer. Is he a hero dressed who had to disguise himself as a stormtrooper? Do they use different clones now? Are regular people conscripted to be storm troopers etc?

All it really says is that race is still very much an issue in America because of history.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
05-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Since I thought (obviously wrong, as Stuffed_Assumption explained) that all the storm troopers are still clones from Jango Fett, my explanation for the black guy was: he is a rebel, in disguise. If they have stopped making clones, then anybody can be a stormtrooper, black, asian, even Croatian. Smile

I still think that guy is a rebel, stormtroopers do not take off their helmets.

Why do you people have to see racism in everything? A black stormtrooper is something to wonder about and to ask questions, last thing people know from the movies is that all the stormtroopers are Jango's clones. You need to be more into the whole lore and comics to know these details and majority of fans are not that hard core, they just follow movies. Hell, I read most of the comics, yet I didn't know about the clones and stormtroopers... So, the question was not racist at all, it was legit and concerned the lore from the movies.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
05-12-2014, 11:32 AM
(05-12-2014 11:23 AM)Filox Wrote:  Why do you people have to see racism in everything? A black stormtrooper is something to wonder about and to ask questions, last thing people know from the movies is that all the stormtroopers are Jango's clones.
I'm not a lore junky on SW, but that last I heard was that the Empire took what was left of the Republic/Clone army to form their Stormtrooper base, but still had to recruit 'normal' people to fill out the ranks.

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
05-12-2014, 11:44 AM
I'm more curious about why there are storm troopers at all, given that the Empire was defeated and run out of town, at least on the planets in the montage at the end of Return of the Jedi. Granted, all those storm troopers scattered across the galaxy gotta go somewhere, but who are they fighting for now?
05-12-2014, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 12:05 PM by Mathilda.)
I'm confused as to why everyone's talking about a black storm trooper. All I saw was someone in white.
05-12-2014, 12:05 PM
(05-12-2014 11:44 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I'm more curious about why there are storm troopers at all, given that the Empire was defeated and run out of town, at least on the planets in the montage at the end of Return of the Jedi. Granted, all those storm troopers scattered across the galaxy gotta go somewhere, but who are they fighting for now?

Who said anything about the Empire being done for?
Who said anything about the Emperor being dead? There are comics set 11 years after the Episode 6 where Luke any Leia ... well, I'm not gonna tell. Read Dark Empire 1 and 2, then Empires End.
The movie is set about 30 years after Episode 6 I think, so they developed the story further... I can't wait to see what they did.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_...nds_comics
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_...d_Calendar

(05-12-2014 11:55 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'm confused as to why everyone's talking about a black storm trooper. All I saw was someone in white armour.

Because, you are obviously not a huge Star Wars fan and a lore nerd... It is a totally legit question, no racism whatsoever. Do not be confused, my young padawan.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson