Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2014, 02:22 AM
RE: BlackSheepJip
(30-06-2014 01:39 AM)JONES Wrote:  
(30-06-2014 12:21 AM)BlackSheepJip Wrote:  Listening to my parents being condescending (I used to be the same way until I started to think outside the box). Tonight was a whole other story though...

If you don't mind me asking what happened next? If its still a bit of am open wound, it's fine if you say nothing! But you will find plenty who will listen and if possible give you some ways to deal with it!!

P.S. My name it Keith!

No, I don't mind at all. Thanks, that'd be great.
Before I write; I am a young adult, 19, college student and I still live at home. The reason I mention this is because I feel like I have to really watch what I say in fear of being kicked out. I'm not sure if this fear is far fetched or, indeed, highly probable.

Earlier today my dad made a comment (I don't remember what it was exactly), although it was pointing towards not having meaning in life. He's smug and thinks he is clever so... Anyways I said something like "haha yep, can't have any meaning in life unless you join a religion." He can say something but as soon as someone replies with sarcasm, which he commonly uses, he gets defensive. I am pretty well at biting my tongue, I like to think. However, I replied. So the whole "argument" was really just him asking me questions and acting superior. Then he said it was all faith I had in the things I have read, and that it is all the same.

So later my mom got home, and she found out. Later at dinner she said, "Justin, I have one question." I said o.k. and she asked.... and again I am really trying to remember the initial question that started it all.........
Anyways, I ended up asking questions back kind of like, this is where I don't understand things. They got extreeeeemely defensive. My mom was saying things like "No, there IS a devil.. you need to know your enemy" and "I don't understand how you can just go from believing in god and being so involved in the faith to not believing anymore." When I ask her why she believes she says that there were eyewitnesses to Jesus and they wrote about it. That's why she believes. See how they never really present any real answers or proof? Anyways... it got to the point where she was just letting me know we were going to have a lot of problems. Even the future was brought up! So I let her know my children will be free thinkers. I don't want them subjected to a bias opinion. I want them to know that they have the option to explore and learn things. The world is a beautiful place filled with amazing things. It's a bit early for me to be thinking about that though, eh?
Her words were the same. I know it hurts her. It hurts me knowing it hurts her. I think my mom is the one whose opinion I care about most. I guess I'm a mama's boy deep down. Haha not really but a lot of guys just have that natural soft spot for their mom's.
I looked up to my parents so much growing up. And now I see that they were wrong all along. It's a scary thing. It's intimidating. But the grass is greener on the other side. I definitely see that. It just bugs me how my parents are like that. I hoped they would have been more understanding. Things seemed to be going well when I guess they were really just coming to a head. It doesn't only hurt me in the aspect of knowing they hurt, but that their actions are hurtful to me. They don't see that. To me it seems like it's more important to them that I come back to something I can't believe in vs. how I feel or me being me. They feel threatened and I definitely do not push my views on them.

In the end my mom just told me I would end up coming back to the church and be a shining example of a Catholic. Oh yeah, did I mention they were Catholic?
Religion is a big deal in my house. So I DO understand why they are scared. They just don't understand my point of view.

Anyone who reads, thanks. It just feels great to write it all out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BlackSheepJip's post
30-06-2014, 03:46 AM
(30-06-2014 02:22 AM)BlackSheepJip Wrote:  ...
I looked up to my parents so much growing up. And now I see that they were wrong all along. It's a scary thing. It's intimidating.

I can't find the quote now but I think it was Ricky Gervais who said something about the disappointment following the realisation that adults don't (and didn't, as you were growing up) know what they are talking about...

... and later the painful realisation that you, yourself, are one of those adults.

I think, at some point, you will begin to see them as victims too... of their upbringing; their environment.

Pity them but don't hate them for that.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
02-07-2014, 01:49 AM
I agree with DLJ.

And here's your welcome panda.

[Image: 20071030104653560_2.jpg]

Want something? Then do something.