Blackface

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Blackface
So, familiarity with US TV/culture has led me to believe that if a white person darkens their face to portray a black person this is considered racist. There's an English comedian (Alan Carr) who did a stand up sketch as Obama and had a darkened face for it and he was accused by some Americans of being racist for it if I remember correctly.

Is this true? And if so, why is this racist?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2014, 05:28 PM
RE: Blackface
(13-01-2014 05:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  So, familiarity with US TV/culture has led me to believe that if a white person darkens their face to portray a black person this is considered racist. There's an English comedian (Alan Carr) who did a stand up sketch as Obama and had a darkened face for it and he was accused by some Americans of being racist for it if I remember correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

Quote:Blackface is a form of theatrical makeup used by white performers to represent a black person. It is often considered offensive, because it can imply stereotyped caricature of black people as in minstrel shows, and later vaudeville. The practice gained popularity during the 19th century and contributed to the proliferation of stereotypes such as the "happy-go-lucky darky on the plantation" or the "dandified coon".[1] In 1848, blackface minstrel shows were an American national art of the time, translating formal art such as opera into popular terms for a general audience.[2] Early in the 20th century, blackface branched off from the minstrel show and became a form in its own right, until it ended in the United States with the U.S. Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.[3]

http://black-face.com/

Quote:Blackface is more than just burnt cork applied as makeup.
It is a style of entertainment based on racist Black stereotypes
that began in minstrel shows and continues today.

http://thegrio.com/2013/10/30/a-brief-hi...halloween/

Hughsie, it is the history of the application that imparts it's racism. Just read those links.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
13-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
13-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Well I didn't know the history behind it, that was quite interesting. Thanks guys. Smile

But, I still don't see why Alan Carr darkening his face to portray Barack Obama is classed in the same way. The context is wildly different and should be seen as such imo.

Tbh, I never understand when people get worked up by this sorta stuff though. There was a massive thing over here a while back when Prince Harry went to fancy dress party as a Nazi. People literally seemed to miss that him wearing a costume to a fancy dress party was a little different to him trying to re-open Auschwitz.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
13-01-2014, 05:39 PM
(13-01-2014 05:38 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Well I didn't know the history behind it, that was quite interesting. Thanks guys. Smile

But, I still don't see why Alan Carr darkening his face to portray Barack Obama is classed in the same way. The context is wildly different and should be seen as such imo.

Tbh, I never understand when people get worked up by this sorta stuff though. There was a massive thing over here a while back when Prince Harry went to fancy dress party as a Nazi. People literally seemed to miss that him wearing a costume to a fancy dress party was a little different to him trying to re-open Auschwitz.

People make a lot of money by being outraged on TV. I would guess the average person couldn't care less what either of them did.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
13-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Blackface can be done humorously without being offensive. Fred Armisen did it with little controversy on Saturday Night Live for years.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-01-2014, 03:01 AM
(13-01-2014 05:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  So, familiarity with US TV/culture has led me to believe that if a white person darkens their face to portray a black person this is considered racist. There's an English comedian (Alan Carr) who did a stand up sketch as Obama and had a darkened face for it and he was accused by some Americans of being racist for it if I remember correctly.

Americans are very fucked up over race.
[+] 4 users Like Juv's post
14-01-2014, 06:54 AM
(13-01-2014 05:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Hughsie, it is the history of the application that imparts it's racism. Just read those links.
*its

[Image: Y5tGBer.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
14-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Blackface AND Grammer Nazi? Seems a storm's a bewin'

That being said, I'd like to agree with Juv that Americans do seem to be pretty fucked up over race.

Say what you will, but here in the south the tenuous state of race relations is palpable (and I'm just in VA, I lived in SC where it was damn near a living entity).
14-01-2014, 05:35 PM
(14-01-2014 03:01 AM)Juv Wrote:  Americans are very fucked up over race.

Yes, because some of us have great-grand-parents who litterally were slaves...litterally...